Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #23351
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Someone today offered me 5800. I am thinking about it.
This morning you said "I'm in no big hurry to sell it.", so what changed in the last few hrs???

What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:14 AM   #23352
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
This morning you said "I'm in no big hurry to sell it.", so what changed in the last few hrs???

I got a $4,000 settlement check from an old class action I was in years ago. Finally came through. I had almost forgotten about it. I guess if I'm going to move on to an Xterra, I should get around to it and stop holding out for the very last dollar. Heck...I only paid $2,500 for the truck when I got it anyway. So I should be happy.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:35 AM   #23353
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,416 Posts

I love my Xterra trucks. So much that I have been considering selling my Hardbody.

A few notes about Xterras: Gen1 has the more reliable VG33E engine. You still have to change the timing belt every 100k miles, so assume whatever Gen1 you find will need this done as soon as you take ownership unless you can get documentation of the last timing belt service.

Gen2 has gobs more power, but they are plagued with problems that Nissan refused to address. The cooler lines for the automatic transmission tend to rupture, allowing engine coolant into the transmission. It is a sealed transmission and not serviceable, so when that happens you have to buy another transmission. Usually $6000 or so from Nissan. Also the VQ40 engine has a timing chain, but Nissan used an old mold to cast the chains, causing sharp burrs that wear through engine components. The timing chain on this engine is a major job, not like swapping the chain on the KA24e. Shops usually charge $2000 or more for this. Finally, Nissan started using lots of sensors and electric motors on the Gen2 Xterra. The camshaft phasers, which give the engine so much power and great fuel economy, often die after 100k miles. The heat controls and fan speed control are both determined by sensors and motor actuators that go out (right now, my fan works on 0, 1, 3, and 4. Not 2. Nissan wants $1200 to remove the dash and replace the resistor).

But when the Gen2 is running right, it is a beast.

In either version, getting 4x4 and a Manual Transmission is highly sought after.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (09-01-2021), XoXSciFiGuy (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:04 AM   #23354
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

In an unexpected turn of events today, Hector decided to come home after his time in dry dock. May have to bleed the clutch since it's a little reluctant shifting gears.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (09-01-2021), SBJ (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:44 AM   #23355
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

It's a seller's market. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell personally. I'd be in even less of a hurry to buy. That's just my $0.02 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I love my Xterra trucks. So much that I have been considering selling my Hardbody.

A few notes about Xterras: Gen1 has the more reliable VG33E engine. You still have to change the timing belt every 100k miles, so assume whatever Gen1 you find will need this done as soon as you take ownership unless you can get documentation of the last timing belt service.

Gen2 has gobs more power, but they are plagued with problems that Nissan refused to address. The cooler lines for the automatic transmission tend to rupture, allowing engine coolant into the transmission. It is a sealed transmission and not serviceable, so when that happens you have to buy another transmission. Usually $6000 or so from Nissan. Also the VQ40 engine has a timing chain, but Nissan used an old mold to cast the chains, causing sharp burrs that wear through engine components. The timing chain on this engine is a major job, not like swapping the chain on the KA24e. Shops usually charge $2000 or more for this. Finally, Nissan started using lots of sensors and electric motors on the Gen2 Xterra. The camshaft phasers, which give the engine so much power and great fuel economy, often die after 100k miles. The heat controls and fan speed control are both determined by sensors and motor actuators that go out (right now, my fan works on 0, 1, 3, and 4. Not 2. Nissan wants $1200 to remove the dash and replace the resistor).

But when the Gen2 is running right, it is a beast.

In either version, getting 4x4 and a Manual Transmission is highly sought after.
$1200 to replace a blower motor resistor is absurd. There's gotta be a way to DIY that on the cheap. There's also no such thing as a sealed transmission. The newer ones still have a way to change the filter/fluid and get the level correct, even if there's no dipstick and the procedure is a bit more complicated.

Toyota has been doing this for awhile with their vehicles...they claim that the transmission is a sealed unit and the fluid never needs to be changed under normal driving conditions, although what they really mean is that it'll last the length of the vehicle's warranty. In the transmission pan there's a little plastic dipstick thingy that threads up into the pan. Kind of like those corrugated pipes you see sticking out of the ground in stormwater ponds, but way smaller. Same idea. Basically what you're supposed to do is pump the new fluid in through the fill plug, then run the car for a few minutes and once the fluid is within a particular temperature range take the little dipstick out and let it drip off the excess fluid. You'll need a scan tool that can communicate with the TCM but even a lot of the cheaper ones can do that nowadays. It's needlessly complicated compared to an old fashioned dipstick, but still doable nevertheless.

Last edited by SBJ; 09-01-2021 at 04:52 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #23356
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Quote:
So I should be happy.
Sweat and elbow grease have more value than parts. Hold out... you listed it. Let this one expire and do it one more time... see what responses you get.

reminder: You're not in a hurry... and good vehicles are hard to come by. Found (SPECIFICALLY) what you want to replace it with yet? How much is it???

</party>
<sorry>
Old 09-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #23357
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
Sweat and elbow grease have more value than parts. Hold out... you listed it. Let this one expire and do it one more time... see what responses you get.

reminder: You're not in a hurry... and good vehicles are hard to come by. Found (SPECIFICALLY) what you want to replace it with yet? How much is it???
Nissan Xterra, looking at any and all from 2004-05 mostly. I may go Gen 1 if the mileage and condition is right. As far as selling the truck I have now, someone will come along sooner or later. I did the chain job on it, but couldn't afford the Mr Jim Tensioner to boot when I did it. Here is the ad at CL: https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/...373363127.html

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #23358
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
$1200 to replace a blower motor resistor is absurd. There's gotta be a way to DIY that on the cheap.
The part is about $100 on Amazon or $400 through Nissan. I replaced the temperature sensor last December. Most of Nissan's fee is for all this labor in tearing the dash apart.

1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #23359
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Quote:
I thought you started @ 7800? Quick drop...
Old 09-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #23360
EF2

Vehicle: 94 king cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytexasD21 View Post
I put headlights in that changed them from sealed beam to 9003 bulbs yesterday and then picked these 15s up with decent tires for $120 today
you got a grill or looking for one? i got a chrome one that will fit, you pay shipping and its yours for free. i can send you pics if youd like as well. its kinda bubbling but none is chipped off and as far as i know its an oem piece.
EF2 is offline   Reply With Quote