Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Default Your Spare Tire and Your Holding Chain

This is just a quick informational post concerning your spare tire and the holding chain that supports it.

1) You should spray lube the support chain occasionally, as well as around the turn screw that raises and lowers the tire. Be liberal.

2) Some folks run the mini-junkie-spare tire underneath. Others use a full size spare. But you CAN carry TWO spares, believe it or not. The chain will support two minis, or ONE mini, and ONE full-size.

3) Why would you carry two spares? In case you are going off-road miles and miles up into the National Forest or something. TWO flats on a trip is rare, but it does happen.

4) You cannot carry TWO full-size spares on the chain. But...if you load up the mini-spare FIRST on the chain, and the full-size spare BELOW the mini...you can carry both. The mini must go on the chain first. When you crank it up and lock it down, you will have exactly ONE INCH of clearance on the bottom tire above your differential. But that's enough as long as you aren't doing deep ditches, going crazy off road, or rock climbing.

5) For the best all-around spare tire scenario, you pack two spares, TWO jacks, and a quality can of Fix a Flat. Add a foot pump and a tire plug kit, and you'll never get stranded due to flats. The reason for two jacks is because sometimes in tricky spots it's easier to get the truck up enough to do the job using a pair of jacks, and it's safer.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Hands On (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
The reason for two jacks is because sometimes in tricky spots it's easier to get the truck up enough to do the job using a pair of jacks, and it's safer.

By golly, I'm glad you posted this. Makes me realize that maybe my truck is too low, especially with a flat, to get the bottle jack underneath. I'm gonna grab a VW scissor jack from the yard. They fold up nice and compact and don't require any additional crank implements. Not the sturdiest thing in the world, will just need it to raise the frame enough to get the hyrdo jack under there.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

I go camping in the Olympic Mountains of Washington State a lot. Whenever I go, I always take the Full Monty I described, as well as a heavy tow chain. Toss in a set of basic metric tools and some spare belts or nylon stockings to use for subs, and you'll always get home somehow.

The best camping spot you can drive to in the Olympics is the dead end at Trap Pass. It's up the Duckabush River. But beware. There are more than thirty Forest Service anti-washout ditches on the way up there. If you get there, you will see some nice stuff. Picture below is from I took my old 89 up there once. That's an SKS, with a legal 30-round mag. Just for the picture. Usually, I only keep it under my cot in my tent for absolute emergencies. Like a charging bear mostly. When you go alone up there as I do, it's safer to carry something 'just in case'.

*Some images via 3-D Google Maps posted under Fair Use guidelines to demonstrate a point, or to show research.*

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA4E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-16-2018 at 11:15 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

That SKS looks like a mini-30 at first glance! Thank you for keeping it in wood and not bubbaing the crap out of it.

The #1 rule I always follow when off the beaten path is to have a buddy with another truck. S
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #5
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
This is just a quick informational post concerning your spare tire and the holding chain that supports it.

1) You should spray lube the support chain occasionally, as well as around the turn screw that raises and lowers the tire. Be liberal.
I had an extreme case where it wouldn't rotate smoothly even after lubing it. I took the unit off the truck and disassembled it and found it was full of dried mud and small rocks. Someone had fun that day!

Cleaned it up and lubed it like crazy and now it works like new.

I give you credit, I won't go far off the path unless I have someone with me let alone sleep overnight by myself. Nice rifle also

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

I need to figure out some way of fitting a 33" tire under there. I have a 31.5 spare under mine in the factory location right now.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Full size spare is definitely the way to go. My original donut was dry rotted to the point of failure so it seemed like a no-brainer. Two jacks never hurts either. I have never been a fan of the OEM bottle jack so I grabbed the scissor jack out of my POS minivan right before I junked it.

I've taken it out in the woods probably a dozen times since I bought it and haven't needed it yet but I'm a staunch believer in Murphy's Law. I'm not a fan of the OEM lug wrenches either so I also keep a cheap HF breaker bar around.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 AM   #8
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Donut on Hector was dry-rotted as well, but the rust on the wheel from having road dirt collecting in it and staying damp was much worse.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,023 Times in 900 Posts

I think one of these would be cool: Battery powered jack and lug wrench.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTTVLW4

I've got 2 vehicles, though, and I wouldn't know which one to carry it in.

No, I'm not buying 2 of them.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote