Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #19221
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I was just about to say valve cover gasket. The plastic crush washers suck. You can buy copper or aluminum ones in packs of 10 or 100 online, just to have a stockpile of them. I'm pretty sure the oil drain is a M12 thread pitch. I guess you are technically supposed to replace it every time you change the oil but I doubt many of us actually do that lol.
The plug is new...it is the plastic gasket that doesn't work. No big deal. Let's face it, I haven't had any opportunity to do any real work on this truck other than tune ups, mainly because it is in such good shape. I know...I got lucky on it. Some guy at the gas station wanted to give me $3,500 for it. I paid a thousand less than that for it. I'll never sell the thing, not while I still live in WA state anyway.

Worked a nice deal from Advance Auto Parts though, using a 20% discount and an additional five bucks off the order through my Speed Perks.

New oil filter, pan gasket, valve cover gasket with the rubber inserts, box of copper washers, another bottle of Hyperlube, Total with tax, 35 bucks. I already have almost five quarts of Valvoline for the change. While the pan and valve cover are off, I will scrape and clean them and take a look at the bearings. I know they're fine, but it's always good to look.

Got to stay up on the maintenance. I heard some folks want me to drive down to Oregon this summer or something. Umpqua National Forest area might be good. Still looking, though. Google Maps and 3D, etc. Tell you the truth, I'm thinking of just leaving the SKS at home and going with the 22's. That thing is SO loud, it attracts unwanted attention from rangers I bet. I have a nice Marlin 22 stainless rifle with a scope and the Ruger MK2....plus 22 ammo is not that expensive and attracts little attention from anyone. We can have shooting competitions, and of course...YOU would win them all. I have seen you in action. Just so you'll know...it is legal in WA and OR to shoot crows. I hate crows. Long story don't ask. With a 22 rifle and a good scope, if it is sighted in good you can nail a crow from 200 yards without breaking a sweat. One time I did it from almost 300 yards. Lot of bullet drop at that range, but you just dial up the scope a bit more. (*insert evil laugh here*) On that one I had a scope that went from 4x all the way up to 16x power. About 1.5 inches drop for each 100 yards or so. I aimed like six inches above that crow, he was on a branch. Pop. Got him on the second shot. The first one hit the branch and to the right of him. He didn't even realize what was happening. He sort of hopped to his left a bit and stayed. I adjusted the scope left and raised the range higher. Second one I saw feathers fly off him and he dropped off the branch.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 115,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; Yesterday at 04:44 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #19222
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
The plug is new...it is the plastic gasket that doesn't work. No big deal. Let's face it, I haven't had any opportunity to do any real work on this truck other than tune ups, mainly because it is in such good shape. I know...I got lucky on it. Some guy at the gas station wanted to give me $3,500 for it. I paid a thousand less than that for it. I'll never sell the thing, not while I still live in WA state anyway.

Worked a nice deal from Advance Auto Parts though, using a 20% discount and an additional five bucks off the order through my Speed Perks.

New oil filter, pan gasket, valve cover gasket with the rubber inserts, box of copper washers, another bottle of Hyperlube, Total with tax, 35 bucks. I already have almost five quarts of Valvoline for the change. While the pan and valve cover are off, I will scrape and clean them and take a look at the bearings. I know they're fine, but it's always good to look.

Got to stay up on the maintenance. I heard some folks want me to drive down to Oregon this summer or something. Umpqua National Forest area might be good. Still looking, though. Google Maps and 3D, etc. Tell you the truth, I'm thinking of just leaving the SKS at home and going with the 22's. That thing is SO loud, it attracts unwanted attention from rangers I bet. I have a nice Marlin 22 stainless rifle with a scope and the Ruger MK2....plus 22 ammo is not that expensive and attracts little attention from anyone. We can have shooting competitions, and of course...YOU would win them all. I have seen you in action. Just so you'll know...it is legal in WA and OR to shoot crows. I hate crows. Long story don't ask. With a 22 rifle and a good scope, if it is sighted in good you can nail a crow from 200 yards without breaking a sweat. One time I did it from almost 300 yards. Lot of bullet drop at that range, but you just dial up the scope a bit more. (*insert evil laugh here*) On that one I had a scope that went from 4x all the way up to 16x power. About 1.5 inches drop for each 100 yards or so. I aimed like six inches above that crow, he was on a branch. Pop. Got him on the second shot. The first one hit the branch and to the right of him. He didn't even realize what was happening. He sort of hopped to his left a bit and stayed. I adjusted the scope left and raised the range higher. Second one I saw feathers fly off him and he dropped off the branch.
That was most likely an anomaly. I don't shoot very often and I'm really not a very good shot at all. Crows are pretty smart for something that eats garbage. Well, most of them. I killed one with my car a couple years ago. I saw it in the middle of the road and mashed the throttle thinking it would fly out of the way at the last second. Nope.

Maintenance is king. I interact with a lot of vehicles that would have way fewer and less expensive problems if the owners actually bothered to maintain them. Currently the D21 only needs gas and oil changes but I'm planning to start a stockpile of maintenance/repair items for my other vehicle. There's nothing wrong with it but I'd like to do a bunch of preventative things all at the same time. As it approaches the 240K mark it will be time for another timing belt and water pump. It was last done 6-7 years ago so it's getting to be time based on age alone. I figure since I'll have to drain all the coolant out anyways it would be a great time to replace that bypass hose that lives underneath the intake manifold as well as any other water outlet gaskets that haven't been replaced already. In no particular order:

Timing belt and water pump kit
Crank and cam seals
Coolant bypass hose (I replaced all the other ones a couple years back)
Knock sensor wiring harness (not a nissan vehicle but with age they suffer from the same maladies as the VG engines)
New PCV hose
Valve cover gaskets - they are both leaking anyways and it's as much of a reason for pulling the intake as the aforementioned coolant hose
New fuel injector o-rings
Rear motor mount - looking forward to that one. Google "1mz-fe rear motor mount replacement" if you are curious what all it entails.

The plan is to use all OEM quality parts. No reason to go to the Toyota dealership though. Just buy them from the same companies that make the OEM parts for them. I estimate I will probably be $350-400 into it by the time it's all said and done.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #19223
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,027 Times in 946 Posts

What did I do? I hit the damn thing today while changing tractors around at the yard. When I pulled forward to unhook the tractor, I had a stupid moment. I knew my truck was there, and I pulled out and turned right. The lower step got the rear part of the bed behind the right rear tire and slightly dented and scratched the metal. The fender scraped the top of the bed and it shattered half of my right rear tail light lens. All because I was in a hurry to get home.

So I have asked two people about used lens and waiting on the third one to check his supply, but now I need a set of used tail light lens. I don’t see anything on eBay work paying 50 to 6 bucks for right now.

I guess I am lucky it was my vehicle and not someone else’s lol
Old Today, 03:41 AM   #19224
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

That's a bummer about the taillight lens, etc. What is worse is if you hit your wife's car with YOUR car...and damage both of them. A friend of mine pulled a nasty trick on his wife sort of like that. He took her car somewhere and bashed in the passenger rear fender...a Firebird, too. So...smart ass parks the car in the driveway like nothing happened. She didn't drive it until the next day, doesn't notice the damage. Comes back from the store....he goes out to 'help with the groceries in the back seat'. Says to her: "How did THAT happen?" She wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and fell for it. "Damnit. Someone must have hit me in the parking lot!" What a dog he was.

Pulled the oil pan, scraped and cleaned it, replaced with new gasket. Same thing with the valve cover. Very clean and no remaining gasket before I re-installed. HINT: Scotchbrite pads are good for taking off remaining gasket material and don't scratch. I used Mean Brown Permatex on the oil pan. I hate silicone. New oil and Hyperlube, new filter and this time I got it tight enough. Hard to reach. No leaks. Took five hours total.

EDIT: Funny thing. I couldn't get the valve cover off at first. Something was jammed under the wiring harnesses that run on the passenger side of the valve cover. I dug out the blockage...it was a pork rib bone, no kidding. Have no idea how it got there.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 115,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is online now   Reply With Quote