Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Emory_

Vehicle: D21 1997
Default My $1 Hardbody

My buddy sold me his old '97 D21 for $1. Only 110,000mi on it! After a new flywheel, it is running great. Save one problem; I keep getting codes P0440 and P0446.

Using Google and the search function here, I found some info on this problem is likely the EVAP system. Sadly this far outpaces my mechanical ability with a car, and besides, the factory service manuals put a bit of the fear of God into me. I might know how to work on a bike, but cars outpace me. -- I should add, I do not think the gas cap is at fault, it makes a hissing sound when going to fill-up.

I know this ain't precisely the sub-form for mechanical problems, but here we are. If anyone has tips for troubleshooting this system or some good general beginner home-mechanic tips, please share. While I got a friend who runs a Nissan specialty shop in town, I'd like to bother him as little as possible.

The attached photo was taken Monday morning near Suches, GA. My first drive in the car over 2-6mi. It handled highway speeds (+70mph) and the North GA mountains very well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3211.jpeg (4.38 MB, 21 views)
Emory_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
swampyankee

Vehicle: 1994 D21 XE

If I were you, I would pm XoXoscifi; he is the resident expert on all things related to Nissan Trucks. Now, don't be misled by his opening statement that "I know nothing about this problem", he will offer up a myriad of excuses, why he knows nothing about your particular circumstance; except that he is "Old School". By doing so, you will weed out unnecessary nonsense,that will not answer your question, and be able to move forward with some clear,concise and useful info from other forum members.
swampyankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,209 Posts

Usually the charcoal canisters get blocked by carbon deposits.

Try taking parts off and cleaning them out so the flow is better.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
If I were you, I would pm XoXoscifi; he is the resident expert on all things related to Nissan Trucks. Now, don't be misled by his opening statement that "I know nothing about this problem", he will offer up a myriad of excuses, why he knows nothing about your particular circumstance; except that he is "Old School". By doing so, you will weed out unnecessary nonsense,that will not answer your question, and be able to move forward with some clear,concise and useful info from other forum members.
Really? The Teal Terror goes wherever I point the wheel, whether it be to the high country with a full load, or from Seattle to Miami without missing a beat.

My advice might not always be right, but it's the best I can give with the experience I have. See the pic below? That was the result of the wife and I, both on Social Security, obtaining that vehicle for a few housecleanings, restoring it in six weeks, and selling it for thousands above what we invested. We even got Bitching Betty to work. The guy who bought it drove almost two hundred miles to obtain it.

Below is the TT itself, my latest picture. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING works perfect in it. It HAS no issues.

Let me put it this way politely. I may be old, but I didn't just drop off the apple cart last Tuesday, either.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (09-10-2020), PoBoi850 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Emory_

Vehicle: D21 1997

Good looking King Cab!
A camper cover is on my list of eventual upgrades, but one project at a time.
Emory_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory_ View Post
Good looking King Cab!
A camper cover is on my list of eventual upgrades, but one project at a time.
Truck came with it. I need to get a paint pen for some of the black on it. So I guess it DOES have an issue.

Only advice I have on them is try to find one with sliding windows and then replace the screening with new screen...and get some WD40 into the window tracks occasionally. I throw a futon mattress in there for camping, and skip the tent thing.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Writers gotta write. Wise men talk about ideas. Some folks talk about events. Small men talk about other people. Haters gotta hate.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:00 AM   #8
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,121 Posts

Dont make me put you boys in the corner lol
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote