Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-08-2020, 02:32 AM   #1
ItsNoName3

Vehicle: Nissan d21 1997
Default Mixed leads when jumping/boosting truck

Hi everyone, quick question. I was trying to jump start my truck and I mixed the leads (positive on negative) on the battery now theres no power, at all. The battery was fully dead to begin with, i was just trying to test my alternator. However, even with the leads connected in the correct orientation theres zero power. Is there a main fuse to protect from this. I checked the fuse box in the cab, all the fuses in there are fine, none blown. I've done this before on other vehicles and theres usually like a 60amp fuse or something to protect from this, but I cant find one.

My truck is a,
1997 SE manual transmission RWD 2.4L

Thanks
ItsNoName3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:37 AM   #2
ItsNoName3

Actually I think I found my answer, a fusible link on the positive lead of the battery. I will check that tomorrow and see if my parts store sells one
Old 09-08-2020, 02:43 AM   #3
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

Doh! Black to black, red to red.
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:53 AM   #4
ItsNoName3

Yes lug nut, you're 100% right. The worst part was I check the battery before I did it, to make sure which side was negative and positive. And then I mixed up the cables...
Old 09-08-2020, 04:18 AM   #5
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut1990 View Post
Doh! Black to black, red to red.

Not everyone does that. Audi often uses black for + and brown for -. It's annoying. Red/blk is really only a US thing for DC. Often other countries used different colors than us. Even in AC wiring they use different standards/colors.

Hopefully the fusable link saved the truck.
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNoName3 View Post
Actually I think I found my answer, a fusible link on the positive lead of the battery. I will check that tomorrow and see if my parts store sells one
I used to work for the Exide Battery warehouse in Sumner, WA. We received the new empty batteries and filled/charged them. I was in charge of grading the junk batteries that came in.

FYI: When a car battery gets shorted, or comes from the factory with shorted plates and you try to charge it the first time...this is what can happen.

The battery will sometimes EXPLODE. And when this happens, it sounds just like a 12-gauge shotgun being fired. If you are near to that battery when this happens...well, let's just say it isn't a pretty thing. Acid sprays everywhere and the vehicle usually catches on fire. Lucky for you the fusible link blew before the battery did.

You were lucky. Just saying. How do I know all this? Because the guys at Exide in charge of filling and charging the new batteries had to wear protective suits and work in a heavily-hooded area. Once in a while they would get a manufacturing defect and the new battery would go BOOM. This happened about once or twice a month and everyone would duck instinctively when this occurred. After six months working there, my nerves wouldn't take it anymore. (NOTE: The charging/filling guys never turned on the juice to the charging racks until they had moved OUT of the protected area. The protected area with the racks were covered with 1/4" heavy clear plastic sheeting to contain the explosions.)

Shorting a battery while trying to jump one can result in permanent disfigurement and/or DEATH. Damn...be careful. If someone had bypassed the fusible link, you probably wouldn't be here now.

Now that you read through my 'battery lecture,'....welcome to IN.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-08-2020 at 07:31 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE

You can get the fusible link from the dealer. Not that expensive and at least you know you’re getting exactly what supposed to be on the truck. They’ll know what you’re talking about when you call

“Never, Never, Never give up” Winston Churchill
Tropicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
ItsNoName3

So I called my local dealer and they tired to be as helpful as they could. But, ultimately they didn't know which link I needed and they were on back order so I could take months. I read parts of the fuseable links post, but I don't think the part numbers in that post match to my truck and most of the images won't load. Is there anywhere else you can buy the links? I went on to nissan parts website, I believe I narrowed it down to 3 possible ones I need. But they want to charge me 70$ uds for shipping. I live in Canada btw
Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

You will not find any in the junk yards that I go to. Every time I see one it leaves with me. Perhaps david29 can hook you up. Send him a PM.