Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 08-21-2020, 02:04 AM   #31
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default HELP please

Received header today. I am afraid it is not going to go as I had hoped. I am tempted to send it back, but I don't give up easy, I hope to get some advice from you all. The original exhaust has 3 connections that screw in, the new header has flanges for two. I assume I MUST move the o2 sensor downstream of the Ys? Or do I? can I plumb it over to the upper flange un the 2nd pipe? How about the EGR Pipe? And how about the pipe that joins the original exhaust at the lowest point. Please help me sort this. Being stainless steel, I will need any modifications to be done elsewhere,

Old 08-21-2020, 02:13 AM   #32
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,213 Posts

Take it to an exhaust shop and let them figure it out.

That's my 2 cents.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #33
nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Take it to an exhaust shop and let them figure it out.

That's my 2 cents.
2 cents huh? Yep, I figured I would take it to an exhaust shop, it will require TIG welding. I was hoping to have some ideas before I take it there, just so I can judge if the guy is full of crap. Something about trusting the devil you know.....ya know? I own an oxy/acetylene torch, stick welder, a flux wire welder, a minimum amount of ability to use them. I also have this forum full of, well, lets leave it there, full of. Lol. Any ideas from the IN crew will be appreciated. JP, will you require any change, sir? Thanks All.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #34
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
2 cents huh? Yep, I figured I would take it to an exhaust shop, it will require TIG welding. I was hoping to have some ideas before I take it there, just so I can judge if the guy is full of crap. Something about trusting the devil you know.....ya know? I own an oxy/acetylene torch, stick welder, a flux wire welder, a minimum amount of ability to use them. I also have this forum full of, well, lets leave it there, full of. Lol. Any ideas from the IN crew will be appreciated. JP, will you require any change, sir? Thanks All.
Take it to a high end exhaust shop, not just any shop. Let them tell you whether they can make it work or not. If they say no...ask them what they would do, and what system they would order. If they have one they say will work, return the one you bought. Then you can order the one they said, or worst case, have them do it.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 125,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #35
jp2code
Software Developer

@nunya - stainless steel doesn't require TIG. If you have a flux core welder, you can grab a small spool of stainless wire. Stainless doesn't weld downhill, so you should practice some uphill welding on your machine. Also, there are alloy brazing rods that specialize in joining dissimilar metals like steel to stainless if you want to oxy-acetaline weld your parts together.

Does the header bolt on? Are the O2 sensor bungs in the right location? You posted a single picture of the area, but that doesn't tell me what I'm looking at. You can get a tubing bender to make a tube to go to your EGR.

All of what I said is probably obvious. If that sounds like too much trouble and you want change, head to the exhaust shop. Don't vote for Joe Biden.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #36
jp2code
Software Developer

In fact, it looks like you are showing that your stock exhaust system has three (3) bungs. The LOWER bung appears to feed the EGR valve and the UPPER bungs on the exhaust manifold has an O2 Sensor is plugged in on the side and another EGR tube coming off of the back.

What's going on here? I'm unfamiliar with the look of your engine, and I am surprised to see two (2) EGR tubes coming off of the exhaust - since there is only one EGR valve.

Also, I thought the EGR tube plugged in on the exhaust manifold and that the O2 sensor plugged in further downstream.

Just 2 more cents. Spend it how you like.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #37
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

thats really weird.. JP you got a point. nothing look right about that exhuast system. but then again i have a 97/98 and my headers look nothing like that.
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #38
nunya

Apparently they sent the wrong header. The bolt pattern is off by alot. I took off the original manifold after spending some time with the exhaust guru. He is old school, say delete "all that pollution shit". But that he can fashion bungs for whatever I want. I have a message in to the seller. Now I wait.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #39
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

Ok good I'm not crazy! That header just didn't look right.
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #40
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

The bung that is furthest downstream can be ignored. It's for the air induction (injection?) valve which just there to warm the cat up faster. You can get rid of that pipe that runs alongside the manifold too if you want. Functionally it does the same thing as the smog pump on an older domestic vehicle. IMO I'd want the bung for the oxygen sensor after all the runners come together instead of in the #2 runner like in the picture. The reason being that it's only measuring the air/fuel ratio for that cylinder instead of all 4 of them combined. Just my $0.02 though.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote