Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-30-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
ben434

Vehicle: 97 4cyl 5speed 4wd King cab
Default 97 Nissan pickup drive cycle question

So working on getting my 97 smogged in California, and man the laws here are NAZI. I have never dealt with smogging an obd2 vehicle before and was completely unaware that in California the car has to have completed a drive cycle test before it will pass. I went in for the precheck and passed tailpipe test fine, but unfortunately one of the terminal connectors was loose on the battery and when I took it out for some 4x4 testing the battery was disconnected. There goes my drive cycle test. What is the point of that law if my tailpipe emissions pass? I'm not polluting at all... Bastards are already charging me 500 bucks just to register an out-of-state.

Ok rant over and now here's my question:

I've been driving it around trying to complete the test following this guide:

My question being does this have to be completed in sequential order before it will go to the next step? Do I have to follow this guide exactly as it says? I've been driving at night but it's sort of difficult to follow this exactly because where I live there isn't long stretches of road where I can drive the truck this specifically. I was able to do steps 1-6 and so far on my reader it says that the o2 sensor test is passing but my EGR and Catalyst test are still not complete. Anyone have any tips?
ben434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

Sequential order and drive the cycles at minimum 2x. It will take longer to complete the drive cycles if the cycle(s) aren't completed and/or are interrupted or cut short. You'll need to drive your truck as many times as it takes until the cycles are completed. Otherwise, the System Readiness Test(SRT) will show incomplete in the Inspection/Monitor(I/M) will show "Incomplete" and you won't pass smog. The 2-Way Catalyst and EGR tests, I feel, are the toughest to complete. It will take a desolate/way out of the way stretch of roadway to fully complete the tests successfully without interruptions. Due to the nature of the test needing to speed up and slow down for several minutes on end. I'm also thinking a dyno would do the trick, if you know someone that could lend it to you to use.

I am born, raised, live, work and play in SoCal. So I can tell you that the smog laws here are tightening up more and more every few years. Hence my location quote, "Where I can see the air I breathe". I can recall days in elementary school back in the late '70's & early '80's when there were "Stage 1, 2 & 3 smog alerts where I was playing soccer on the field and my chest would hurt and I would have to stop playing because it was hard to breathe. The schools were required by state law to excuse all students home from school for the day. Sometimes for multiple days in a row until the air cleared up a bit. I also recall the smog being so thick. The mountain ranges weren't even visible. There was a brownish colored "smoke" that sat up against the mountains and made them "invisible". Literally. So even though your tail pipe passes the sniff test. The vehicle's system is designed (by law) to check/reduce emissions any time the vehicle is started and/or driven.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
ben434

Thanks Porknbeans, sorry for ranting. Even though I don't see any smog here in north county San Diego I realize it's a very real thing. I think I was just frustrated because I had done the test three nights in a row and wasn't getting any results. Checked my obd reader this morning after driving it last night and the tests finally completed. Passed smog today!
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (01-31-2021), PorknBeans (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben434 View Post
Thanks Porknbeans, sorry for ranting. Even though I don't see any smog here in north county San Diego I realize it's a very real thing. I think I was just frustrated because I had done the test three nights in a row and wasn't getting any results. Checked my obd reader this morning after driving it last night and the tests finally completed. Passed smog today!
Congratulations on passing smog!

But no need to apologize! I get it. It's the very strict emissions laws that help keep the air pollution down as much as possible. I believe it's the only reason that any mountains can be seen today. There are still hazy days. Especially in the summer months when it's very hot and humid. But when heat waves are present. It's even worse! That's the way it goes though! The current governor(Newsome) signed an order to have ONLY electric vehicles sold in CA starting in the year 2035. I've spoken with some people about this and they said, "I'm outta here when that happens!" Some drive Ford F-250 diesel powered trucks. So an electric vehicle of sorts doesn't sound all too appealing to them. I don't really mind it. But I don't feel it will take place. Fossil fuel driven vehicles will still be on these roads. I could be wrong though. It's just my prediction.

Is your exhaust system stock or aftermarket when the monitors were completed?
Old 01-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,271 Posts

Emissions testing here is fucking stupid. No cut off year. Every vehicle from 1975 and up get tested here. Then there was the VW diesel fiasco. That was a genius idea......until they got caught lol
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:04 PM   #6
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,093 Times in 986 Posts

I'm really curious how that all electric thing is going to work in cali when half the time they can't even keep the lights on or the power companies shut off the lights because it windy and the state holds them responsible if their equipment is part of a fire. The infrastructure isn't there in any way for electric cars. Wonder if that means more charging stations with a diesel generator attached to the back. The irony!

No emissions testing at all in my area. Pretty sure the cats are punched out in my car. The one in my truck is factory.

I'm sure Oregon will try to follow in the electric car only scheme soon only for it to fall flat on its face. Too many ranchers and other people that rely on small and large diesel equipment and need to tow heavy loads long distances that cannot be done with electric vehicle tech so far.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:39 PM   #7
ben434

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
Is your exhaust system stock or aftermarket when the monitors were completed?
Exhaust system is stock. That's partly the reason I was so frustrated with not being able to pass the tests. Funny enough the only test that didn't complete was the catalytic converter, but luckily they allow you to fail one of the tests.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:23 AM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Emissions testing here is fucking stupid. No cut off year. Every vehicle from 1975 and up get tested here. Then there was the VW diesel fiasco. That was a genius idea......until they got caught lol
You know, as much as I dislike VW products they deserved to win that one.

On a side note, the emissions monitors are also a useful tool for checking out used cars. If none of them are set/completed there's a good chance the CEL was on recently.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:27 AM   #9
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra, 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold)

When I saw the part of the post that said..."The bastards are charging me $500 just to register an out of state vehicle..."

I started thinking about our plan to move to SoCal in the next year or so...

And then I decided rather than go through all THAT crap...I would sell the truck to some lucky buyer up here in WA state before I move to California. Then when I GET to CA...I will buy another truck, or maybe an Xterra. Shit. And I mean that, too. I don't want to sell the truck, but I guess that would be better than the alternative.

2009 Xterra, 4.0 liter, automatic, 4WD. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
ben434

Honestly Scifiguy seeing your truck in the footer there that thing looks worth keeping. Registering your truck here won't be nearly as much money as I paid. I bought this truck as a private purchase and when you register it here in California you have to pay sales tax to the state. So a lot of that 500 is going to sales tax. All you will have to do is get your truck weighed at a public scale and as for the smog test I wouldn't even worry about that you'll pass it no problem. My truck's emissions test was so far under the limit I passed the enhanced smog check inspection, whatever that means. I'd bet people would pay a lot more for it down here in socal too if you ever did want to sell. I've been trying to get rid of my 87 because I don't really have the need for two trucks and when I put it up on some marketplace sites I got overloaded with responses.