Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
ToeBandit

Vehicle: 1994 D21
Default I think I messed up bad finding TDC

So im in the middle of changing the timing chain and head gasket and I thought I found TDC on compression but I believe Im actually at TDC on exhaust. I think who ever had the truck before me messed up the timing. This is where I am at. I have removed the Distributor, Oil pump, Head bolts, and oil pump spindle. The only thing Im having trouble with is finding TDC. Should I reassemble the Oil pump, Oil spindle and distributor, and rotate the engine to find TDC? Or should I take another approach? Thanks.

Truck is 1994 Hardbody D21 inline 4
ToeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #2
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8

Ahh! Trick question. If the head is removed, it is just TDC on Cylinder #1. Compression stroke or exhaust stroke won't matter until you install the head. Once you reinstall the head, you can rotate the cam until the marks align with the silver colored links on the chain like the manual shows.

Same goes for the oil pump and distributor. Just step through the reassembly and adjustment section.

I mean, you are replacing it all, so you have to set all the marks according to the book anyway, so you're not in any trouble.

If you don't have the factory manual, there are links on the site to download it.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #3
ToeBandit

Thank you! Well the head is till on top of the block just not secured with the bolts. Can I just take the head off and then line up everything once I put the head back on?
Old 05-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
ToeBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
Ahh! Trick question. If the head is removed, it is just TDC on Cylinder #1. Compression stroke or exhaust stroke won't matter until you install the head. Once you reinstall the head, you can rotate the cam until the marks align with the silver colored links on the chain like the manual shows.

Same goes for the oil pump and distributor. Just step through the reassembly and adjustment section.

I mean, you are replacing it all, so you have to set all the marks according to the book anyway, so you're not in any trouble.

If you don't have the factory manual, there are links on the site to download it.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Thank you! Well the head is till on top of the block just not secured with the bolts. Can I just take the head off and then line up everything once I put the head back
Old 05-19-2022, 03:22 AM   #5
Stinky

Vehicle: 86 2wd 720, 86 4x4D21

You are making this way to difficult.

Read the manual and it will tell you what to do and where to find the marks. The cam marks set whether it is TDC compression, or not. When they are on/lined up, it is on compression.

If your timing belt has marks, just line them up.

Put the crank at TDC or their Timing belt mark

Put the cams on their timing marks.

Set all the components on their marks and put the belt on. Again, the marks correspond to TDC Comp.

When you put the belt on the 2nd camshaft, if the belt doesn't have marks on it. Then rotate the cam forward 1 tooth, put the belt on. Then turn it back to the left and pull the belt tight....when tight, the mark should line up. YOu can't put that cam on the mark and stretch the belt enough to get it on, you have to cheat.

The above advice was for a V-6, but just line up the marks....

Last edited by Stinky; 05-19-2022 at 03:34 AM.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
The above advice was for a V-6, but just line up the marks....
LOL

That should have been the statement you lead off with. I was reading the whole thing, thinking, "But he has a chain, not a belt!"

As for the EC section of the service manual, it is available here:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F1994%2FEC.pdf

Once the Adobe plugin completely loads up the form, you will be able to save the document to your device or PC.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote