Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

Vehicle: 2000 Nissan Frontier
Default Project Rehab: A Love Story

It might come as no surprise that I love single cab Nissan Frontiers, seeing as I have been working on building on for YEARS now...

The funny thing about that though, is the fact that before I purchased and started working on 'Ol Joan, I never gave the Frontier a single second of my time. At the time I got my first Nissan, I was working on a 1993 Chevy Extra Cab truck that I planned on bagging, and the only reason I went ahead and traded for this truck that I had literally no clue about was due to the fact that it came bagged already. I guess I assumed that I would have to put very little work into it to make it cool.

Boy was I wrong.

I had no clue at the time that a stupid trade for a truck that didn't even run would result in a 7+ year project that is nowhere near complete, and a love for a style of truck that I didn't even know existed at the time.

This brings me to the reason for this new post. Another trade situation and another crap Frontier. Same old story, same old time....

This story starts with a 1991 Toyota 4Runner. I got the truck from a friend who was very influential in the build-up of Joan's first nose job.

The runner was amazingly cool, bagged on an '89 truck frame with a 22r and an RX7 independent rear and 18" old school billets, but as I was and still am working on my main truck, this turned out to be a little too much of a project for me, and I set about to trade for something that ran and drove that I could take to shows when the Frontier was getting painted. SO....I traded for a 1988 Mazda B2000 that I thought was perfect for what I needed it for.

Again, this truck had a super cool look to it, with all the factory moldings, stock everything, and 18" old school billets. Turns out though that I don't actually like Mazda's. After owning the truck for about three months and not touching it for any other reason than to just move it out of my Driveway, I decided it had to go. That's where the single cab Frontier argument comes back into play.

One day while browsing the old Facebook, I came across a gentleman selling a 2001 Frontier that caught my eye. I mean...the truck is lime green, how could I pass it without giving it a quick glance? I thought I would shoot him an offer to trade for the little white Mazda, and much to my surprise, he was all about it.

A couple days later, I was the proud owner of another body dropped, single cab Frontier, and I couldn't be more excited about it. I had already gathered a bunch of parts for the Mazda to re-do some things that bothered me (like the control arms and air management set up) that I could use on this new project, and from the years of owning the other truck, I had plenty of spares and stock parts to make this one Rad too. So without further ado, I present to you Project Rehab:

To say this truck is gross would be the understatement of the year. Every single part of it needs attention. From the front bumper only being held on by two drywall screws, to the shit brown tweed interior, to the open exhaust past the header, all the way back to the worst bed I have ever seen and the family of black widow spiders calling it home, there was not a single piece that didn't need a little TLC.

I mean...REALLY?

But it's perfect. It's just enough of a basket case for me to have fun and make it my own, while at the same time not bad enough for me to get overwhelmed. It's a traditional body drop set up to run on 18's. I was able to keep the cool old school Budnik's from the Mazda, so I already had a cool set of wheels for it. Speaking of...It turns out that the Titans that came on the truck were the first ever set of wheels I put on the other Frontier 7 Years ago. Small world!

I set about working on it right away, and the first thing to go (besides the spiders that is) was the horrid bed.

This thing is cut up 6 ways from sideways and is absolutely not salvageable. I am keeping the tonneau cover however, so I took that off and cut the bed up in my backyard for scrap.

Much better already.

And then there was this mess...

I started cleaning up the bay a little bit. I took off all the random smurf blue stuff and painted it all semigloss black and cleaned up the wiring up front a bit. A LOT of the wiring was extended using the trusty "twist the wires together and cover it with electrical tape" method, so of course I fixed that as well.

Nothing too crazy of course, just a start at this point...

And that's where I currently am at with this thing. I need to finish some exhaust work since the previous owner thought that exhaust past the header was not necessary, and get the little bastard to pass emissions so I can get it in my name. Then the REAL fun will begin!

Project Joan Rivers: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27820
Project Rehab: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37617
Instagram:
Truck: ProjectJoanRivers
Personal: Ppoised
PoisedRunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Scrapingpavement

Vehicle: Bagged 1986.5 nissan hardbody KC and a 1964 f100 custom cab

love the story and cant wait to see project rehab on the road!!! Keep on trucking!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,287 Posts

I love the regular cab frontiers with that front end.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
I love the regular cab frontiers with that front end.

I never paid too much attention to them, but as soon as I saw this truck, I knew I had to have it. The front end and the fender flares just make it look tough!

Instagram:
Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisedRunt View Post

I never paid too much attention to them, but as soon as I saw this truck, I knew I had to have it. The front end and the fender flares just make it look tough!
Yeah, and they're rare as hell.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

I decided to do what any sane human being would do in the situation and cut that disgustingly awful bed up into tiny little pieces. Well...maybe not tiny, but you get the idea...

Ugly bed: 0 Me: 1

I was thinking of cutting out the rear of the bed just past the tail lights and making a cool bench for the garage similar to this

But that's a whole other project that I can focus on later. As far as the actual work on the green truck goes, I was able to finish up the exhaust system using all the old crap that came on the truck as a temporary solution for now. I want to get the thing to pass emissions first before I start dumping what little money I have left over from life and working on the main truck on it.

The muffler that the truck came with looks like a "Babies first welding project" video star, the bung for the O2 sensor was welded in facing down to allow for maximum drag action on the wires, and all the joints/ turns in the piping looked like the previous owner used a pack of wild opossums to cut it and welded it back together blindfolded.

It was a mess, but I worked with what I had for free and got it done enough to pass hopefully. It'll all get replaced at some point...Next on the list is to address a location for the battery as the battery box that was mounted in the bed no longer exists. I'll more than likely run a battery box on the outside of the frame just behind the cab on the passenger side, but like a lot of other things on this truck so far, that will be a temporary solution as I would like the battery to be in an easily serviceable location eventually.

Instagram:
Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

I looked into the fender gap issue today to see what what going on with that. Of course I assumed it was a simple spacer issue where the core support was up too high, and in a sense I was right, but in regards to "simple," I was way off. What fender gap you say?

The gap is about 1/2 - 3/4 at the bottom, which is perfect if you're blind, but seeing as I am one of the privileged few in the world with eyes that haven't been poked out with a hot metal stake, this issue is high on the priorities list.

As I started to dig a little further, It only got worse...

Apparently this is all you need to hold a front bumper cover onto a truck...

What's even worse is the fact that I ADDED the two 12mm bolts to it when it got delivered to my house. AND, the two sheet metal screws were screwed directly into the plastic over fenders, which of course were falling off.

And then there's this...

Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?

Instagram:
Old 06-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

So I went a little crazy last night and started to tackle the front end alignment issue. Since there were no two ways around it, and cutting the core support was not an option due to the fact that I am not an Animal, I tore everything off the front of the truck to really get a look at what I had ahead of me.

I hate doing stuff like this. It's not necessarily complicated work, but cutting off crap work from a previous builder takes a lot of time in clean up. I always tell myself that I'll never buy an already modified vehicle ever again, but I end up repeating the mistakes over and over.

40 minutes later...

Next step will be to clean up all the old welds off the frame horns, measure a few hundred times and tack it all in place. This time, I'll actually use the fenders to line everything up to make sure the body lines line up and the fender gap doesn't allow for a small truck to fit comfortably inside of it.

Instagram:
Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
PoisedRunt
- Perfect Poise -

Got a little bit more done on Rehab over the weekend. It unfortunately was the first real weekend of 110+ degree weather here in Arizona which meant the garage was approximately as comfortable as the inside of a convection oven.

At any rate, I welded the front frame horns back up after lining everything up correctly on the truck.

Not the best welds ever in terms of looks, but they'll do! And anything really is better than the cold, flux core boogers that were on there from the previous builder...

BUT....this is the result of the work so far

Instagram:
Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Nice to see it getting reconfigured correctly, looking good.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PoisedRunt (06-13-2016)