Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > 05+ Frontier Forum (D40)

Old 10-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all
Default Suzuki Equator

Does anyone recognize or have seen this truck?

It is a long forgotten truck built from a platform for all that we gather to this site for. But it only wears different badges. The engines offered, 4 cyl. & V-6 option, is also built by the same manufacturer. As well as the body configurations and 4WD.

I have seen one in person and up close. And it was only one time this truck has been in the lot. It was at work one night while I was walking through the parking lot and spotted his fire engine red colored truck that really caught my eye. And I was clearly perplexed by it appearing so very familiar to me. I was very confused by this truck with its looks and appearing like I’ve seen it somewhere before. But I couldn’t pinpoint where. The badging really threw me for a curve. Until I looked this truck up to find out some very interesting information about it.

According to some websites. This truck was only built from 2009 - 2012. That’s it. So looking for one is somewhat of a unicorn. Low sales numbers did this truck in. And the company does not sell vehicles in the USA anymore. Although they did make a very famous compact SUV with great axles and off-road capability. But the massive “roll over” risk was spread out through the news media. And sales also tanked. Ending its production. A replacement vehicle exists. But is banned in the USA. That vehicle is the Suzuki Jimney. It sort of looks like a miniature Mercedes-Benz G Wagon.

But I thought this information would be an interesting read. And information and some history that wasn’t common(at least to me) to most folks out there. So when I came across this truck. With its very familiar styling and “Hey. Don’t I know you from somewhere?” I decided to share this with fellow Nissan enthusiasts.

Please enjoy(and maybe be enlightened).

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/suzuki-...-pickup-truck/

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/

Old 10-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 2009 Xterra (sold), 1997 D21 King Cab XE (sold) Current rig: 2003 Infiniti QX4.

Looking at the truck itself, I can see why it failed. The Frontier had much better marketing efforts in the US, which continue even today. No marketing? No sales.

The ONE BIG PROBLEM that has plagued small trucks (not the current Frontier, or even the Equator) has been that foolish Chicken Tax created by good old LBJ.

What the Chicken Tax does, in reality, is make it difficult or impossible for foreign auto makers to market and sell TRUE small trucks in the US. Yes, they got around the Chicken Tax for a long time, but finally admitted defeat after the 1997 model year. The truth is that US automakers don't WANT small trucks coming in for sales here. They are busy pushing off gas-hogging monsters at ridiculous prices, even though gasoline continues to increase. Small trucks would put a big dent in their sales, and US car manufacturers make a LOT more money on trucks than they do cars. Small trucks' exceptional gas mileage and option to 'go smaller' are threats to them. Instead, they push off the Chevy Colorado as a 'small truck' and the Ford Ranger, which are not true small trucks. They are mid-size, no matter how you cut the mustard or deal the cards.

Until the public DEMANDS that small trucks from Japanese automakers once again be allowed to compete in the USA, they will remain only a memory.

Fully restored D-21's, especially the rare ones offered by dealerships, (King cab and V-6/4WD versions sell best) sometimes go for more than they cost new. They get snatched up quick. And why not? It's now been 25 years since the last D-21 rolled off the assembly line in America. And when the last one rolled off the line...US automakers probably tossed a party with fireworks.

2003 Infiniti QX4 4WD. 115K original miles.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-14-2022 at 08:51 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
USCGamecocks20

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21 (KA24E) 2WD automatic King Cab

Son of a bitch, I’d never even heard of the chicken tax. A 25% tariff on all light-duty trucks?!?!

I knew Japan and Europe tariff the shit out of all American cars to protect their legacy manufacturers, which is why we sell so little over there, but I never knew we were doing the same thing back on light trucks.

Your entire theory about US autos not wanting a light-truck market, to boost the more profitable larger trucks, makes WAY more sense now as well. I thought their absence was due largely to lack of demand, BUT if we are the only ones who are allowed to produce them essentially (at a competitive price), your theory becomes even more plausible than lack of demand.
USCGamecocks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #4
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: Too Many to List Here

They could get around that tax if they shipped the trucks to the states incomplete, the dealer or end user could assemble them here in the USA.
*1990 WD21 Pathfinder Frame
*2004 Xterra
*2010 Infiniti G37x

Nissan Truck Videos (Builds-Racing-Shows-Tech)
https://www.youtube.com/c/NissanTruckguy
IG@ pounding_rox

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:18 AM   #5
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth View Post
They could get around that tax if they shipped the trucks to the states incomplete, the dealer or end user could assemble them here in the USA.
...and this is what Subaru has been doing for decades.

What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.

-"No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting.
However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience."
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:43 AM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,703 Posts

Looks similar to the Mitsubishi truck. It came with a V8 option.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
4wheel98cherokee

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Looking at the truck itself, I can see why it failed. The Frontier had much better marketing efforts in the US, which continue even today. No marketing? No sales.

The ONE BIG PROBLEM that has plagued small trucks (not the current Frontier, or even the Equator) has been that foolish Chicken Tax created by good old LBJ.

What the Chicken Tax does, in reality, is make it difficult or impossible for foreign auto makers to market and sell TRUE small trucks in the US. Yes, they got around the Chicken Tax for a long time, but finally admitted defeat after the 1997 model year. The truth is that US automakers don't WANT small trucks coming in for sales here. They are busy pushing off gas-hogging monsters at ridiculous prices, even though gasoline continues to increase. Small trucks would put a big dent in their sales, and US car manufacturers make a LOT more money on trucks than they do cars. Small trucks' exceptional gas mileage and option to 'go smaller' are threats to them. Instead, they push off the Chevy Colorado as a 'small truck' and the Ford Ranger, which are not true small trucks. They are mid-size, no matter how you cut the mustard or deal the cards.

Until the public DEMANDS that small trucks from Japanese automakers once again be allowed to compete in the USA, they will remain only a memory.

Fully restored D-21's, especially the rare ones offered by dealerships, (King cab and V-6/4WD versions sell best) sometimes go for more than they cost new. They get snatched up quick. And why not? It's now been 25 years since the last D-21 rolled off the assembly line in America. And when the last one rolled off the line...US automakers probably tossed a party with fireworks.
This hits home for me. I’ve always loved small trucks, when I say small I am talking about standard cab short bed mini trucks. I recently had this discussion with a good friend who was in need of a new truck but can’t afford the rediculous price. He opted for the Ford Maveric (I know) but it was $21k got good gas mileage and had a bed. He said he really just wanted something that was a true standard cab short bed truck that was new but that does not exist for that price. All of the standard cab short bed trucks are full size and $40k or bought up for fleet vehicles. People don’t always want or need a 4 door or extra cab truck. Auto makers need to keep costs down by offering a standard cab, short bed, manual trans, manual crank windows option for people who do not need it. I have a picture I took years ago when I worked in the Union, my coworker had a Tacoma. I parked my D21 next to it and the size difference was insane. I feel like the new “mini” trucks are the same size as the old 60’s f100’s that my dad had I grew up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4FE3DA5A-566C-43D1-A4D5-C079C1EF9774.jpeg (119.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg D698248D-8BC7-473C-995E-B8CAE9429274.jpeg (109.7 KB, 4 views)
4wheel98cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:55 AM   #8
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,330 Posts

I have seen a couple of them over the years.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #9
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 2wd Z24i HB D21

There is a Blue Equator I see all the time. I wonder IF the Owners knows he can use Frontier parts, or does he have a issue finding very limited Equator parts, lol.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

I’m thinking he can use Frontier parts...