Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Early Frontier Forum (D22)

Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Boozehero
Boozebag

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan D21 (sold), 1987 D21 powered by 2.3 Ford Turbo, too many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I gotta ask...how's the rust situation in the tropics?
It's mixed.
Def not like the rust belt, but there are plenty of rusty vehicles here. A lot of people use their vehicles on the beach or live close to the beach. The local water here has a high salt content, it comes from deep wells all over the island.

Supposedly, if you wash your car with municipal water, it will rust. Most car wash places use rain and processed water to do cleaning.
There are no self service or drive through car washes on the island.

Rust also starts in weird places... like on roof lines, where windshields meet the roof, and odd places like the belt line on a door. There is also the usual rocker and quarter panel rust.

This Fronty has a few rust spots in the bed, but otherwise it's rust free.

I also bought an 05 Corolla, it's spotless.
Boozehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SBJ (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
Boozehero
Boozebag

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan D21 (sold), 1987 D21 powered by 2.3 Ford Turbo, too many more

I went to the Nissan dealer today and asked about a new key for this rig.

Hold on to your azzes...

$385!!!!!!
How much???
$385. WTF. Over.

$145 = key
$140 = program

I almost told the guy to go f himself.

Ebay (2) keys = $15
Programming can be done with 2 keys. I only have 1.

So... Anyone know where I can have a new key cut by the VIN and key code?
Problem: the original key is so worn, I'm afraid it's going to cause a problem.

I had a new key made for my Toyo... the dealer only charged $102 - still piracy, but I was willing to pay the fee. They also used the code by the vehicle VIN, so the key is fresh.

Anyone work at a Nissan dealership? I'm willing to pay for your time...
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehero View Post
It's mixed.
Def not like the rust belt, but there are plenty of rusty vehicles here. A lot of people use their vehicles on the beach or live close to the beach. The local water here has a high salt content, it comes from deep wells all over the island.

Supposedly, if you wash your car with municipal water, it will rust. Most car wash places use rain and processed water to do cleaning.
There are no self service or drive through car washes on the island.

Rust also starts in weird places... like on roof lines, where windshields meet the roof, and odd places like the belt line on a door. There is also the usual rocker and quarter panel rust.

This Fronty has a few rust spots in the bed, but otherwise it's rust free.

I also bought an 05 Corolla, it's spotless.
Interesting to know, thanks. I had heard that cars rust pretty badly in coastal tropical areas, since oxidation occurs more rapidly at higher temperatures. That said I haven't been to the tropics since before I was old enough to drive. I am lucky to live in a place where rust is that brown stuff that forms on your exhaust after 20 years. I have worked on a few cars from the salt states though...one was from Chicago, one from Indiana and another from Upstate NY. They were all pretty rough underneath but the IN car took the cake. I had to replace the transmission in it (Subaru) and even with the torch and spraying it with rust penetrant for a week I still broke about half the fasteners underneath it, including all the exhaust ones.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #14
Boozehero
Boozebag

I have a farm in NY State.
I also lived in Louisiana for almost 10 years.
TOTAL difference from the 2 different parts of the country.
As you know, body parts are mint in the south, although interiors take a beating, while north it's the opposite.
A 5 year old car in NY has rust on it, unless you stop driving it in October and don't resume until late April.
I have 2 barns full of weird cars that I only drive in the summer (when I'm home - which is not often)

I lived in Cali for 1.5 years too. Great out there.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #15
Boozehero
Boozebag

Update:
Last weekend, I bought a new hood, L fender, D21 tailgate, new windshield and pulled the rotten radio. I also bought paint and supplies to do it up.
I had to replace the alternator belt, it was crapski.
The windshield was cheap... $420!!!!!! Dammit.
I contacted David29, he said he has 2 side windows. I hope he can send them really soon. It would be nice to have a dry interior.

So, in one day, I blew $1400 on stuff. Boring.

Stay tuned, I hope to have this unit looking at least 80% fresh by the beginning of next week.
Anyone have suggestions for uploading pix?
I haven't had much luck with picture sharing sites since those aholes at photobucket went rogue.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #16
mytmouz

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Imgur...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote