Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #21
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

They are pretty awesome. Gave us a fuel pump because it didnt fix the issue and was too much of a pain to remove. They even dropped rings and pistons into the car, out of warranty, to fix an oil burning issue on their dime. They have gone way above expectations.

I wont own an auto. My girlfriend doesnt know how to drive a manaul so thats one thing that needs to be worked on! Ha!
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 AM   #22
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Sounds like a job for the little sentra. Do it every day for a week or two and you won't even think about it anymore. I remember before I sold my accord I must have taught 5 or 6 people how to drive stick in it.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #23
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

She is afraid to hurt the truck. She doesn't believe me she can't do anything to it I haven't. That ceramic puck clutch is not something to learn on so Sentra it is!
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #24
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

I won't own an automatic trans for a more practical reason.

There have been a couple of times in the past where I was WAY off-road, I mean twenty or more miles from the main highway, and even farther to the nearest town. Starter goes out maybe. You can still push-start it. Battery goes dead. Same thing. With an automatic, you might end up having to walk out a long way.

I had this old Datsun truck once, mid-70s and the clutch went out off road. I was able to speed shift it back to the main highway without grinding gears, and once I reached the highway I just took the freeway home. Speed shifting is a skill, too. It really is. You have to know the EXACT point to throw the gear shift without grinding the gears. Starting out from first is the hardest, of course...but it can be done. Once you get into second, you are home free. More or less. Your synchros will suffer, of course.

Side Note/Funny Story: Some years ago I took a part time job assisting a guy who owned a small towing company. We went out on a call and I saw my boss pull a really dirty trick on two ladies in a trailer court. They had called him and said they wanted to sell a car to him that the transmission had gone out on. Okay...so we go to the house and see this absolutely perfect 1967 Plymouth Fury in the driveway. Two-door, sport model with all the options and the big hemi engine. Probably a 440 Magnum.

My boss gets in the car and starts it up. Purrs like a kitten. Car is in near showroom condition. He puts it in reverse, it doesn't move, right?

He gets out of the car and pays these ladies $250 for the car. But instead of having the decency to TOW the car away, he hands me a crescent wrench and tells me to tweak up the reverse band adjustment on the tranny. I told him "Why do we have to do this in front of them? Let's hook it up and do it down the street." He tells me to get under the damn car and do as I was told.

So I did. He already has the title in his pocket. I jump back into the tow truck and back out of the driveway. He puts the Fury into reverse and drives it off like it's nothing. The last thing I saw was those two women standing on their porch with their mouths open like a couple of catfish. I quit that job the same day. His paychecks were a little spotty anyway.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 117,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-15-2019 at 04:17 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Wersh (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #25
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I had that happen once in my honda while I was at the grocery store. The slave cylinder seal blew out and the clutch went to the floor. I had to crank the starter with it in 2nd then gently shift into 3rd once I got it going fast enough. Luckily it was late at night so there wasn't much traffic to contend with.

Fun fact: some old torqueflite transmissions (possibly including a '67 plymouth) had a second transmission pump driven by the output shaft and you actually could push start them. The main reason you can't push start an automatic is because there is no way to achieve a connection between the engine and the wheels without the pump spinning. No hydraulic pressure means it can't apply any of the clutches or bands. An automatic transmission is effectively in neutral without the engine running. I always bring a fully charged jumper box with me when I go out in the woods. That's way less work if you do end up with a dead battery.

I wouldn't want a small 4 cylinder truck or car with an auto, though. I can only imagine how much more of a dog this thing would be if it had a slushbox. And it's a lot more fun.

Last edited by SBJ; 05-15-2019 at 05:04 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #26
XoXSciFiGuy

I have TWO very large tarps for this trip. I think one is 20x30 and the other 16x20, I believe. I bring a small ladder because this makes it easier to get the tarps up higher, tied to trees. We can also use the paint extension pole, which is really strong and can lock out anywhere up to sixteen feet high.

To fight off the night chill, sometimes I will hang smaller tarps around the large ones, like walls, to create a sort of cabin. All of this is easier with two people to hang the tarps. I use 6mm macrame cord to do the hanging because it is strong enough to keep a tarp up even in moderate winds, and its cheap. You can buy a hundred yards of the stuff for about 12 bucks at Amazon. I already have about two hundred yards available, which will be more than enough.

I have a movie screen made of a waterproof cloth that has 16 grommets for hanging. Unlike some of the other brands, you can't put wrinkles in it. I already tested it in the field and it works really well, especially at night. When we set up our campsite, before we do anything else, we should decide where to hang this screen, and then build the remainder of the campsite around it.

I've tested different media through the media projector. DVD player hookup, video game system, (Super Nintendo) and movies and TV shows loaded to a USB flash drive or memory card. I found out the best results come from the video games and the DVD's, while the movies loaded to flash drive only show to the size of 25 inch television. So...bring your favorite DVD's. I have an all region DVD player that I picked up on an (you guessed it) Amazon deal for a measly 25 bucks and free shipping. It works. The reason for having an all-region is because then you can buy some movies cheaper, or obtain rare films that are only available in Europe, for example. I have a rare DVD copy of the Treat Williams/Robert Duvall comedy The Pursuit of DB Cooper. The case is printed in Hungarian, but it will play in English, yes.

However...if your US region DVD player has a remote, there is a trick to set that player to Region 0...and then you can play any movie you want, no matter what region it is. Search out the instructions at YouTube. (DVD to all region) There are a couple of videos showing you the trick on how to do it. You access it through your DVD player's menu.

Bring your fave DVD's. This is a partial list of the movies I'm bringing. (besides the Cooper pic)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Public Enemies, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Cowboys and Aliens, Zardoz, Heat, Sahara (Humphrey Bogart), Enemy at the Gates, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, Into The Dragon, and a bunch of others. I don't care what's playing. Just bringing what I have LOL. You guys probably have newer films, I'm sure. I did pick up an oldie but a goodie this week, which was Panic in Year Zero, the post-nuclear war film with Ray Milland trying to save his family. It's actually pretty good film.

Community Supplies I'm Bringing: (so we don't duplicate) Two 36-count cases of bottled water and bags of Oberto snack sticks for everyone. I nixed the idea of beef jerky in favor of the sticks. SBJ and Deerhurst: Both of you receive a tactical flashlight with five way function, a battery, and a charger for the battery. It comes with a cradle so it will take three AAA batteries as well. All of us will need good flashlights, and yeah...I got these two setups really cheap at (guess where). No worries. I give these out all the time as Christmas presents.

If you can bring bulk water somehow, try to do it. We will need it to feed the shower and the toilet. I can carry only about five gallons extra, besides filling the toilet with water at the house. This is because I am packing a pretty big load, the tarps, the big table and the entertainment gear. This bulk water will NOT be for drinking, so it doesn't matter what you pack it in. I'm using a five gallon bucket with a lid myself. I think if someone can bring in ten gallons besides what I have, that will be enough. We can use the bottled water not just for drinking...but for cooking if necessary. There will be enough of it. For this trip, I am organizing the gear packing the load much more carefully than I have for other campouts...mainly because it is a long way to Oregon LOL. Got to get it right the first time.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 117,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-20-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #27
XoXSciFiGuy

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Some posts in this thread have been EDITED, because we changed the location of the campout. See the first post in the thread for details.

The plan is now to meet up in the early morning at the Get and Go mini mart in Estacada, Oregon between 5-6AM on Friday morning, June 21. Estacada is a small town just SE of Portland. The mini mart opens at 5AM. At six AM we caravan about twenty miles SE to the actual campsite in the Mount Hood National Forest. Anyone who can't make the rally point on time can try calling us on our cell phones. If you say you are coming, we will send you the map, the directions, and all our contact information. So you don't get lost.