Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Luke wilkerson

Vehicle: 4x4 Nissan hardbody 1997
Default Suggestions on pistons, connecting rods, and rebuild kit for a 1997 ka24e engine.

Hey guys, I'm planning on rebuilding my engine that started to knock and i want to do it once and be done. I also would like to upgrade the pistons, rods, and anything else that is known to go wrong with a 2.4. i know arp head bolts are a must,. But the other parts are a lose to me. Money isn't a worry since I'll rebuild it over time. If someone on here has rebuilt their ka24e and it turned out well, let me know how you did it please. Any help is appreciated
Luke wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

I've had very bad luck with ITM's parts. Great luck with major U.S. brands, as well as OEM parts. Never a problem, for me, with Fel-Pro gasket sets.

Research the larger oil pump, and new/longer bolts for it.
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

Personally... wouldn't replace anything that didn't need it

Tear it down to the block, get a machine shop to look over the internals. If you can get away with a hone and reusing the OE rotating assembly just get it cleaned up and back together. Fresh OE head bolts, oil pump, water pump and timing set.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke wilkerson View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning on rebuilding my engine that started to knock and i want to do it once and be done. I also would like to upgrade the pistons, rods, and anything else that is known to go wrong with a 2.4. i know arp head bolts are a must,. But the other parts are a lose to me. Money isn't a worry since I'll rebuild it over time. If someone on here has rebuilt their ka24e and it turned out well, let me know how you did it please. Any help is appreciated

ARP head bolts are not a must, and most of the time lead to blown head gaskets. people dont realize you dont torque a head to the bolt spec, you torque it to the gasket spec. I cant emphasize enough how useless these are on a normal rebuild vs some massive nitrous or boosted monster running a steel gasket.

get a higher compression piston, 10:1 is fine on regular unleaded. rods, go stock but have the pistons floated and the rods weighed to match the pistons. you dont want a heavy rod with a heavy piston matched to the same on the same stroke.

if you cant get a 10:1 slug, consider taking a little off the deck height or the head. no more than 20thou. it will have a bigger impact if you take the material off ofthe head but do the math. You dont want to wind up with a comp ratio above 10:1 on this thing for 87 octane.

also consider port matching the head while its off. dont need a massive port/polish, just match it to the runners for smoothness of flow. I personally like to unshroud the valve guides a bit while in there.

dont waste your money on a valve angle grind thats greater than the stock number of angles (3 i think is stock). It wont do you any good to have a 5, 6 or 7 angle job on a single cam 12v motor.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 AM   #5
Luke wilkerson

Vehicle: 4x4 Nissan hardbody 1997

Thanks guys. That helps alot for my deciding. Basically. Putting an extra engine in my truck and already have a new trans with 2 miles on it haha while the original one with a knock is out i wanted to basically play with it. I love taking engines apart. I figure since I'm in there i wanted to up it's performance. If i can find some 10 to 1 comp ratio CP pistons and some eagle rods that's all for the internals. I might as well do a cam too and port match the head like street rulerr says. I'll also look into that larger oil pump. I have a 4x4 1997 model with AC and 5 speed manual. My rebuild engine will be normal aspiration hence the high compression. One day I'll also make a turbo setup spare engine when i get used to these engines. If anyone was wondering, I'm basically going to make this a rally support truck. Have everything for roadside assistance built into it will roll bar and tool boxes all made by me. Just takes time and money. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Luke wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

why bother with eagle rods? if you arent boosted and they arent lighter than stock, the only thing they are going to do is lighten your wallet.

consider a total seal gapless piston ring. personally i like those.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote