Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #11
Boosted_RB25

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 XE KA24E

That blue devil is some good stuff I hear. I just used K-Seal to stop a water pump leak in mine. Stuff ended up clogging my radiator enough that I had to buy another radiator. Just a word of warning.
Boosted_RB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:22 AM   #12
lastRebel
Nucking Futs

Vehicle: 95 Nissan Hardbody 4x4

Hey Bob, just some friendly advice... once that Blue Devil seals up your leak, I would highly recommend draining the coolant, flushing the system, and putting new coolant in there... Good luck!
lastRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
chvbob

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan d21

Report back on the overheating. Seems like the Blue Devil did the trick, or so I thought. It does ok most of the time, but once in awhile it decides to overheat. No particular usage, time, of climate, it is just when it chooses. I stop, relieve the pressure, and add about 1/3 gallon water back in, and it is fine until the next time. I check the water every morning, and add very little at times. Strange thing to me, ( maybe normal) is that it retains pressure in the system for days when sitting. Must be just under the 13lb pressure cap. I have not yet put the tstat back in, but I am planning on doing that this week. It should heat pretty quick if there is a problem. I was wondering if the water was flowing to fast without the tstat. The heat up will occur if I have to sit idling in traffic though, but normally it will return down when traffic gets going. Felt my fan clutch, and there is a little drag, but I don't know if it is enough. I don't see any signs of the clutch leaking fluid, and no wobble.
chvbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #14
chvbob

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan d21

Been awhile, but thought i would let you know what has been going on. This rig was driving me crazy, and never got the problem solved, so i gave the damn thing to my Son. Since then, i have been looking at it. At this point, with everything new in the cooling system other than the heater core, which appears to be working fine, it still has the same problem, but different. The leak into number two cylinder has been sealed. The compression is still 130 across the board. I have burped this thing with the front in the air, and on level. I put a OEM tstat in it at a cost of $40.00. It now takes a couple miles to heat up to the point where it is blowing into the coolant recovery tank. It then pulls it back in. Nothing strange on the plugs, oil ok as well. What is a little strange is the upper hose is alot hotter than the lower, as if the water isn't circulating. Keeping in mind of all the new parts i have installed, it is still driving me crazy. I am more determined now to solve this problem.I am wondering if i do have a leak into the intake, but it doesn't appear to loose much water, and i can't see how that would cause the overheating. With the upper hose being so hot, and the boiling seems to be coming from the intake, i wonder if something is plugged somewhere. Three thermostats, two water pumps, a radiator, flushing, sealing the head leak, i am starting to think about that darn fan clutch again. it has very little resistance when hot. Any ideas of what would cause the coolant to not circulate besides the tstat, or water pump?
With no one driving the rig now, it gives me a chance to really go crazy on this problem. Thinking of pulling the intake, and taking a look. Also checked all the vacume lines for leaks, that would throw the timing off. Enough rant, have to wait till tomorrow to continue on it.
chvbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #15
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,091 Times in 962 Posts

I bought a water pump for a tractor recently. When I bolted it on, the fins on the water pump pushed up against the back of the opening. The water pump could not spin.

Are you using a good, name brand water pump and not some cheap crap from Taiwan or China?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Are you using a good, name brand water pump and not some cheap crap from Taiwan or China?

I have water pumps from O'Reilly in both my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers, both 4-cylinders, have been fine.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #17
Dragon
Lowered Class c.c

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan hardbody

Ok hes the big thing to check, have had it happen to a couple of vehicles, the catalytic converter could be bad, at idle wont make a difference but once you start driving it will increase the heat and keep it in the header and cause the engine to work harder and make it over heat, quick way to test it is to unbolt it from the header pipe and take it for a drive, it will be loud for a little bit but may fix your problem
06 armada(bertha), 24's, system, looking to slam it
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #18
byubrett

Vehicle: 86.5 Nissan D21 4X4

My truck started overheating after about 10 miles also. Wouldn't overheat around town, only at interstate speeds. Long story short, it was the fan clutch!
byubrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Cusser

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by byubrett View Post
My truck started overheating after about 10 miles also. Wouldn't overheat around town, only at interstate speeds. Long story short, it was the fan clutch!

Glad it is now fixed, but bad fan clutch symptoms are typically OPPOSITE to what you posted: hot around town, cooler on interstate.
2004 Frontier King Cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 98.5K), 1998 Frontier regular cab (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder 225K), 1988 Mazda B2200 (2WD, 5-speed, 4-cylinder, 214K), 1971 VW Convertible (140K), 2005 Yukon (180K), 1970 VW (260+K)
Cusser is offline   Reply With Quote