Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
ThermiteBasedToys

Vehicle: '92 Hardbody V6 4x4 King Cab
Default How to wire rollbar lights

Hey guys hopefully you guys can help me because I'm pretty ignorant on wiring and electrical stuff. I'm getting my rollbar installed on Tuesday on my '92 SE Hardbody and with it going in I wanted to mount 4 led lights when I go hit the trails (link to the lights below). I just don't know what I'll need to do to wire it or where to feed the cables and such, I tried to watch some videos on it but it left me with more questions than answers. How do I know these won't blow up the min I turn them on or start a fire?

*These are the lights, going to try and mount 4 of them on my rollbar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6PAMN03T&psc=1
ThermiteBasedToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

they look pretty cool. Wiring lights is really simple. My only thought it doesn't mention any length of wire for installation of the harness or switch. Leads coming out of the light is 3-4" which is normal for lights.

If the kit does not come with a harness and switch, you will have to pick up a kit that will match the load of the lights.

As far as the roll bar, are there holes to run the wiring in the roll bar? if not, do you plan on just taping or zip tieing them to the bar? Under the pass. side seat is an entry point for the factory wiring harness. you can use that to run the wires into the cab.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ThermiteBasedToys (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

When I wired the 6 lights I had on my roll bar, back in the day, I used a multi conductor wire, it was large about 3/4" diameter and had about 8 10 gauge wires in it, these were not LED lights so the heavier wire was needed.

Run your wire up to the roll bar, starting at the farthest light attach one wire to the positive of the farthest light, than what I did was use a Scotchlok connector to attach the close light to the same wire so those 2 lights are on the same wire, repeat for the next pair in the same way. I ran my grounds to the light bar I had mounted to the rollbar.

Run the wires under the hood and attach to a relay, I used double relays as they were available way back, I installed 6 mini switches in the trim above the HVAC controls, you can use a tiny switch when you use a relay as there is very low current required to trigger a relay.

Relays are wired as follows and most relays have the same numbers next to each terminal on the relay:

30 - power in from battery
87 - output to lights (or accessory)
85 - to ground

86 - to switch

wiring switches, if a non lighted switch with 2 terminals
1 goes to relay, 1 goes to switched power ( so you can't forget to turn the lights off when the key is off)

a lighted switch is the same as above with an extra wire that goes to ground ( for the light in the switch)

Pic of where I had the switches installed in my former 87 hardbody:

I had 6 lights on the roll bar, all Hella Rally 2000's, 2 pencil beam, 2 euro beam, and 2 euro beam facing to the rear ( only 1 rear in this pic), I also had 2 Hella 210 fog lights under the front bumper:

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (07-01-2018), Hands On (07-01-2018), ThermiteBasedToys (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
ThermiteBasedToys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdswan View Post
they look pretty cool. Wiring lights is really simple. My only thought it doesn't mention any length of wire for installation of the harness or switch. Leads coming out of the light is 3-4" which is normal for lights.

If the kit does not come with a harness and switch, you will have to pick up a kit that will match the load of the lights.

As far as the roll bar, are there holes to run the wiring in the roll bar? if not, do you plan on just taping or zip tieing them to the bar? Under the pass. side seat is an entry point for the factory wiring harness. you can use that to run the wires into the cab.

How do I tell if a harness can handle the load of 4 lights? and my rollbar has no holes so it'll most likely be zipties.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
ThermiteBasedToys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
When I wired the 6 lights I had on my roll bar, back in the day, I used a multi conductor wire, it was large about 3/4" diameter and had about 8 10 gauge wires in it, these were not LED lights so the heavier wire was needed.

Run your wire up to the roll bar, starting at the farthest light attach one wire to the positive of the farthest light, than what I did was use a Scotchlok connector to attach the close light to the same wire so those 2 lights are on the same wire, repeat for the next pair in the same way. I ran my grounds to the light bar I had mounted to the rollbar.

Run the wires under the hood and attach to a relay, I used double relays as they were available way back, I installed 6 mini switches in the trim above the HVAC controls, you can use a tiny switch when you use a relay as there is very low current required to trigger a relay.

Relays are wired as follows and most relays have the same numbers next to each terminal on the relay:

30 - power in from battery
87 - output to lights (or accessory)
85 - to ground

86 - to switch

wiring switches, if a non lighted switch with 2 terminals
1 goes to relay, 1 goes to switched power ( so you can't forget to turn the lights off when the key is off)

a lighted switch is the same as above with an extra wire that goes to ground ( for the light in the switch)

Pic of where I had the switches installed in my former 87 hardbody:

I had 6 lights on the roll bar, all Hella Rally 2000's, 2 pencil beam, 2 euro beam, and 2 euro beam facing to the rear ( only 1 rear in this pic), I also had 2 Hella 210 fog lights under the front bumper:

Ok I think I can work with this. Since I'll be using LED's I can probably get away with thinner wire right? Also would it be possible to just bundle up all the wires into 1 switch? I want to minimize the drilling and modification of my dash/cabin. You're truck is sexy by the way.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

Thanks, I don't have it any more.

With LED's you could get away with smaller wires, what ever the lights them selves have coming out of them, I would go a gauge larger.

Yes with a relay you could wire all 4 lights to one switch, LED's don't draw very much, my Hella's with 100 watt bulbs each drew about 8 amps each.

There are other ways to tie each light into the supply wiring, you could strip the wire near each light and wrap the bare wire from each light around the supply wire and solder them, I used the Scotch lok connetors and never had a problem,

No holes in the roll bar, you can run the wires anyway you want, depending on how you want it to look, I drilled a hole in one of my bars and ran the wiring through the tube and out the bottom. My light bar was a combination of 2 different bars, i did it that way so no wiring could be seen.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 AM   #7
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Make sure to use relays.