Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Definitely prioritise ssd over nearly everything else. Cpus and gpus haven't moved significantly for nearly a decade.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #12
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Thought I would update this thread...I ended up getting an ASUS Vivobook Pro. It has 16GB of RAM and 2 separate hard drives, a 250GB SSD and a 1TB regular hard drive. I am going to be doing a lot of work with large files so I wanted something that would fit the bill. I also wanted something with a large 17" display and a separate number pad on the keyboard, both things my old macbook does not have. So far I like it, the plan is to be nice to it and hopefully it will last for many years.

JP and OGB,

I still also like the idea of a used/refurbished desktop just for shits and giggles. I took a class at the community college this summer and the computer lab was all optiplex models like the ones you pointed out. Something like that would be perfect. There is a Goodwill store about 40 miles from me that has an electronics department with a bunch of used computers. I may still pick up one of those eventually. The thrift store has used monitors for $15-30 all day long so I think I could put something together pretty cheaply. As for the old macbook...at some point I'd like to do a reinstall of the operating system and put a new battery in it (the original is shot) then run it into the ground. I doubt I will ever purchase another apple product but it's welcome to stick around for as long as it still works.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their suggestions.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:21 PM   #13
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

Hope you like your Asus, they make good stuff. I bought one of their little netbooks (before tablets were a thing) to use during college in 2004. It still runs just fine.