Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd
Default My rear window leaks

So, a little backstory... I let someone borrow the truck about a week ago and it came back with a couple new dents in it. Needless to say they will be renting a u haul next time but I don't have a time machine. One is on the bed and the other is on the back of the cab, next to the window on the driver's side. The leak appears to be down lower on the window, right about level with the driver headrest. I'm thinking the window frame is a little bit bent or the seal got messed up by the impact. Either way, it's leaking where it wasn't before. Would it be possible to pull the window out and re-seal it with some caulking? Or just get a new seal entirely? I'm hoping not to find any rust in there. It's a standard cab with the solid glass window FWIW.

Last edited by SBJ; 07-10-2019 at 02:10 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

very easy to pop out the window. you could use caulk but it won't be easy to get back out and it looks unsightly if there is too much. I would check the lip and area of the leak for a new dent. you will need to use a flat tip screwdriver to pop the seal out from the inside of the cab. so removing the interior will need to be done.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 AM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Thanks man, it looks like a pretty simple job and I was able to find a new seal online for about $50, give or take. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's nice and clean in there and there isn't too much rust to contend with. It never leaked before. On the other hand I'm also considering taking it to a reputable auto body or glass shop and letting them (the borrowers) pay for the repairs out of principle.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

I found a hack to make installing rear window quick and easy. I used a piece of clothesline in the rubber channel. Just circle the channel with rope with the two ends at the bottom. Set the window in place and as you pull the end of the rope to the inside, push the window in. As the rope pulls out of the channel it will also roll the rubber lip to the inside of the cab until it is in place.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
nunya

Default pay for out of principle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
On the other hand I'm also considering taking it to a reputable auto body or glass shop and letting them (the borrowers) pay for the repairs out of principle.
Good luck. Everytime I have tried to get something accomplished "on principle" it has only alienated me from the party at fault. Any FRIEND that would borrow your vehicle and beat it like a rented mule probably has no concept of "principle". Consider that "no act of kindness ever goes unpunished" and figure this to be a lesson learned. Being a good FRIEND comes at a price. This time the price is bodywork. The benefit is wisdom. Do not stop doing acts of kindness, but instead try to consider the cost in advance.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #6
nunya

when i took my rear sliding window out to get truck painted i found the aluminum window frame had alot of corrosion and schmutz built up. I cleaned up the frame with sandpaper to smooth and repainted frame. i also cleaned up rubber with acetone and then some armourall type stuff. getting the rubber flexible and frame smooth might be enough to get things to seal. Not complicated but meticulous and time consuming. I did not mask off glass for painting, just used soapy water and a razor blade to clean glass before assembly.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
Good luck. Everytime I have tried to get something accomplished "on principle" it has only alienated me from the party at fault. Any FRIEND that would borrow your vehicle and beat it like a rented mule probably has no concept of "principle". Consider that "no act of kindness ever goes unpunished" and figure this to be a lesson learned. Being a good FRIEND comes at a price. This time the price is bodywork. The benefit is wisdom. Do not stop doing acts of kindness, but instead try to consider the cost in advance.
That's how it goes, isn't it? No good deed goes unpunished. Seriously though, you can purchase the extra insurance on a u-haul truck for like $10 a day and if you wreck it or render it otherwise inoperable they'll bring you another one. More than worth it IMO. I will probably end up doing the work myself, simply because I have more time than money for repairs. I'll have to pick up some 3/16" cord but I have everything else already.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *Black 91 D21 single cab *White 88 D21 single cab

I never lend my truck, but I will drive and load it for a carton of beer or two depending on job, no matter how good the friend is.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #9
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,076 Times in 992 Posts

Yeah no loans. The only time I have ever let someone borrow it was for someone special. My mom needed it for a weekend while I worked on her car. Anyone else asks, fuckem lol
Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 AM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Stick, that's what I usually offer to do. I simply didn't have the time for it and was trying to be nice about things. But what's done is done, now I gotta get this thing fixed before fall rolls around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
Yeah no loans. The only time I have ever let someone borrow it was for someone special. My mom needed it for a weekend while I worked on her car. Anyone else asks, fuckem lol
Also why I'm glad I don't really fix cars for people anymore, save for friends and family. I can't tell you how many people have asked (or simply expected) to borrow one of my vehicles while theirs is being repaired. I'd offer them a ride to the bus station.
Thanked by:
nunya (07-12-2019)