Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Interior & Audio/Video

Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
NZNavara

Vehicle: Nissan D21 Navara 1990
Default Factory 4 Point stereo in a Kingcab?

I was just doing some online browsing and noticed that this brochure photos seems to show rear speakers mounted on the back wall of the cabin.

Does anyone have these in their truck? Really interested in finding out details so I can replicate it. New Zealand kingcabs came with no options beyond A/C and Power Steering (which is strange as the single and double cabs had heaps of options), so I won't have any luck finding them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989_Nissan_Hardbody-15.jpg (95.2 KB, 12 views)
NZNavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

The speaker bracket threaded holes should be in the back wall on the king cab, all you would need to do is get the brackets and grilles. The speakers that will mount in the brackets most likely will be a real shallow speaker.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

it would also be better if u have insulated ur back wall to save on reverb
h.stickeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:22 AM   #4
NZNavara

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll have to have a look at replicating the setup with things some shallow mount speakers and similar brackets. I drive with my leg against the door, so I can only really hear one speaker at the moment, I've been looking for ways to increase the sound without having speaker boxes floating around on the rear floor.

I'm planning on sound deadening the cab at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Tomakze

Vehicle: 1990 2WD D21

After adding them to my own truck, I wouldn't advise it. It is nearly impossible to get a decent speaker in the bracket and still allow the rear seats to fold down. Even if you don't care about that (I didn't think I would), it is flat out impossible to get a speaker to sound good back there. The bracket has only enough material to hold the speaker in place, and gives the speaker zero separation front to back. This means you cannot get a reasonable amount of midbass out of anything you put back there. My advise would be to save your money and put better speakers up front, and perhaps even amplify them if you are looking for better sound. You can also add insulation (as Nissan used nearly none at all) and make a PROFOUND difference without even changing speakers. Honestly, I'd advise starting there for the "bang for buck" factor. Then no matter what speakers you add, they will sound better.

-1970 Datsun 2000 Fairlady Roadster (resto in progress)
-1990 Nissan Hardbody 2wd 4cyl (DD and project)
-2014 Ford Fiesta (DD and audio system demo vehicle)
Tomakze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #6
NZNavara

Yeah? That's pretty interesting. I'm not in a rush to make changes, so I'll take that on board. I'm currently sorting out an under seat sub, I can wait until that's hooked up before making up my mind. I'm not really looking for bass (from rear speakers), just more of a "full" sound than I get from the front left corner of the car (RHD). I recently changed to component speakers with Terrano (pathfinder) A-pillar tweeters, which helped too.

I also have some old school clarion speakers which are a fairly shallow mount, might try these first.

Last edited by NZNavara; 01-10-2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

I recently installed component speakers in the front doors, with the tweeters up high, it made a big difference and sounds really good.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
h.stickeye

ill second that the biggest imropvement you can do for sound in our trucks is to keep the outside sound and heat OUT! Insulate your rig and you wont regret it at all. I did it all with the best military grade stuff in about 3-4 hours and only cost me about 250-300. I did the doors too, which is absolutely a must, but uses a fair bit.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
NZNavara

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
ill second that the biggest imropvement you can do for sound in our trucks is to keep the outside sound and heat OUT! Insulate your rig and you wont regret it at all. I did it all with the best military grade stuff in about 3-4 hours and only cost me about 250-300. I did the doors too, which is absolutely a must, but uses a fair bit.
Do you have a link for what you used? I might be able to get the same thing in NZ, or sent from Brissy.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
h.stickeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZNavara View Post
Do you have a link for what you used? I might be able to get the same thing in NZ, or sent from Brissy.

its called resomat. sorry for late response