Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #151
Juster

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
You should be able to test the resistance on the MAF connector pin to a ground spot. If you get 0 Ohms, the MAF connector is grounded.

I had to go back and read over all of this again. Sometimes I forget what we've been talking about.

2 weeks ago, you said you had a timing light ordered. Did you ever set the timing? Incorrect timing will create incorrect error codes, so we could all be chasing shadows if your timing is off.

Have you used an OBD2 code reader to get the actual codes? The only thing I saw that you post was where you said you got code 55 and code 67. Code 55 is "all clear", and code 67 is "Number 2 injector fault". The ECU can't say all is good and that there is a problem at the same time.

Something doesn't add up.

You said the truck is has an issue with injector #2.

Unplugging the MAF sends the ECU into open loop mode.

If you had an intake leak, that would not change whenever the ECU goes into open loop operation.
I ordered a timing light but itís still not here. Canada Post is on strike and things are probably messed up. I didnít use an OBD2 Scanner tool I just used the way under the passenger seat. When youíre saying the truck goes on a open loop. Does anything else rather than the mass air flow sensor gets override? I didnít check the service manual yet will try to see if I can do anything
Juster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #152
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,107 Times in 977 Posts

I'm not sure what all goes bypassed.

I'm just guessing that it could be what is making the engine run smooth.

The newer the D21 is, the more items that make the ECU go into Open Loop operation.

There should be a spot somewhere in the EC section that lists all of the things that put the ECU into Open Loop (or Fail Safe Mode), but I don't know for sure that every service manual gives that information.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #153
jp2code
Software Developer

A diagram on EC-14 shows that the Closed Throttle Position Switch (CTPS) operates in place of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to control EVAP parts if the sensor malfunctions. If you are in Open Loop mode, you could be bypassing the TPS and relying on the CTPS.

Further into the EC file, EC-34 shows that code P0300 - P0304 (Misfires) can be triggered when there is damage to the 3-way catalyst (is that the Catalytic Converter?).

Fail-safe items are on EC-76. It says:
Quote:
When ECM fail-safe is operating, fuel injection, ignition timing, fuel pump operation and IACV-AAC valve operation are controlled under certain limitations.
You can read it yourself for all of the info.

Cyl 2 Misfire, P0302, EC-162. Shows how to determine issue using a CONSULT (i.e. Nissan Dealership can detect what is wrong).

TW Catalyst Sys, P0420, EC-186.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #154
Juster

Quote:
A diagram on EC-14 shows that the Closed Throttle Position Switch (CTPS) operates in place of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) to control EVAP parts if the sensor malfunctions. If you are in Open Loop mode, you could be bypassing the TPS and relying on the CTPS.

Further into the EC file, EC-34 shows that code P0300 - P0304 (Misfires) can be triggered when there is damage to the 3-way catalyst (is that the Catalytic Converter?).

Fail-safe items are on EC-76. It says:

You can read it yourself for all of the info.

Cyl 2 Misfire, P0302, EC-162. Shows how to determine issue using a CONSULT (i.e. Nissan Dealership can detect what is wrong).

TW Catalyst Sys, P0420, EC-186.
The grounds are good checked them today. Fuel injection is good. Spark is good. So with the mass air flow sensor unplugged runs goods no misfires at all and it idles and doesn't stall. Only thing is to pay someone to do the ignition timing now. Or what else could I do?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #155
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juster View Post
The grounds are good checked them today. Fuel injection is good. Spark is good. So with the mass air flow sensor unplugged runs goods no misfires at all and it idles and doesn't stall. Only thing is to pay someone to do the ignition timing now. Or what else could I do?
The Nissan Dealerships typically have multi-point inspections that they perform, and this inspection includes diagnosing it with their Consult.

When they are done, they will have an extensive list of things to fix on your truck, and it will easily have a total cost that is more than your truck is worth. They will call you with the cost, and obviously, you are not going to have it done. You pay for the diagnosis (minor fee), take the printout of the results home with you (it has the part numbers for what you need printed on it), and fix what needs to be done yourself.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #156
Juster

Quote:
The Nissan Dealerships typically have multi-point inspections that they perform, and this inspection includes diagnosing it with their Consult.

When they are done, they will have an extensive list of things to fix on your truck, and it will easily have a total cost that is more than your truck is worth. They will call you with the cost, and obviously, you are not going to have it done. You pay for the diagnosis (minor fee), take the printout of the results home with you (it has the part numbers for what you need to be printed on it), and fix what needs to be done yourself.
Should I do ignition timing? Or should I go straight to the dealership? I'm assuming timing now but I have no clue again.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #157
jp2code
Software Developer

If you are going to take it to the dealership, just take it up there "as is" ...unless you have to have it towed (just because that could get expensive).

If the timing is off, they will tell you that, too.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #158
Juster

Quote:
If you are going to take it to the dealership, just take it up there "as is" ...unless you have to have it towed (just because that could get expensive).

If the timing is off, they will tell you that, too.
Maybe I try checking the throttle position sensor and verify timing first. Because the dealership where I am are usually not good. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder 2012 LE back in 2012 from a Nissan dealer and did all my Services there but I thought they did it but turns out they never changed my oil. So I kinda donít want to go to a dealership
Old 11-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #159
Juster

Quote:
Maybe I try checking the throttle position sensor and verify timing first. Because the dealership where I am are usually not good. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder 2012 LE back in 2012 from a Nissan dealer and did all my Services there but I thought they did it but turns out they never changed my oil. So I kinda donít want to go to a dealership
TPS Is good and set right. Now just ignition timing... When will my timing light arrive. Taking forever!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #160
Juster

Quote:
TPS Is good and set right. Now just ignition timing... When will my timing light arrive. Taking forever!
Today, I realized that the truck starts up normal for 3-4 sec then after that the RPM just drops and then stalls. I kept the engine at 3000 RPM and it seems to misfire once in a while but itís like a pattern. From 3000 it would drop around 1300RPM. So I donít if I can check anything else. I cleaned the IACV valve today same thing.