Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-26-2020, 03:08 AM   #20901
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I used to taunt people and do stuff like that with my sentra. It has 320k on it, burned oil pretty good, had a horrid fart can and I could walk faster but it didnt stop me from using WOT! Hahaha!
I have to say that for as much of a beater as that car was it never left me stranded. And after doing the plugs, wires, cleaning all the crap out of the injectors and getting the EGR valve unstuck it actually ran quite well. It never burned any oil either. It wasn't a nice car by any stretch of the imagination but it meant I didn't have to ride my bike in the rain anymore.

Want to race? It's more fun to drive fast in a slow car than the other way around.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:26 AM   #20902
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I'll race you in the Audi! It's still fun when slow. I love just cruising the back roads in the Audi. It's very responsive but still very comfortable for daily duties. It also doesn't feel fast. It's quick but it's so comfortable about it it and there is no drama. It's very German.

The Sentra was dramatic about everything. I don't regret selling it. I love my wagon.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #20903
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Well, I finally wrapped all the little stuff and finished installing the Hella lights. Tested in the alley at night, very bright. Zip ties and I are now very good friends.

My favorite beater was the 1987 Subie Wagon. That thing would go anywhere. I even took it up a trail where a fully loaded 4WD Toyota truck kept sliding back down. (Led to one of the campsites in the pictures, hardly ever used) Shocks were not good and forget about trying to work on that engine...it was a nightmare to reach anything. Had it for five years and there wasn't a dirt road it couldn't take on and win. Timing belt went gonzo, so I had it fixed. Then it went a second time only 15,000 miles later...I went back to a Nissan. Sent the Subie to the wrecking yard for $300. I kept the shift knob because it was kind of tall, and cool looking. Still have it.

BELOW: Campsite I reached in the Subaru, where the Toy-OTA failed LOL.

A couple of our cleaning customers have Audis. All I know is they go really fast, but in a reserved, quiet kind of way. Zip...they are just GONE.
Quote:
"Wha...what was THAT?"

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 01-26-2020 at 06:19 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #20904
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Sorry in advance for the hugeness of this pic. Flat bed frame is fully installed. Just need to start on the wood deck and lights. This used to be a wd21 4 door pathy. Now it sports a 3" body lifted 86.5 2wd cab. Just purchased a vg33er for this build.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SBJ (01-26-2020), VOTS95 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 06:20 AM   #20905
XoXSciFiGuy

Nice wheels and tires on that thing. Better than too small. Are we talking 3.3 liter here for the engine? What size and type of wood will you be using for the flatbed? I don't have the experience (obviously) that you do, but I did convert a 70s Datsun PU to flatbed once. Rear end goes higher and truck went much faster, freed of all that extra steel. That's all I know. Didn't keep it long though...it was an AUTOMATIC lol.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 01-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #20906
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Glad you lke the Hellas! I'm thinking of doing a 75w or 100w HID conversion on mine. Way overkill which is just right. It'll be about $100 for a good 75w HID kit. Bulb life is about half what it is on 35w when pushing 75w to it and it drops 2000k in color so I'd need a 6500k bulb to match the 4300k headlights which are probably about due for new bulbs and ballasts anyways. Ballasts are 6+ years old and bulbs are 4-5 years old. It's about time. Might try some dual wattage ballasts. They run 35w on low beam and kick up to 50w when the high beam is activated. My D2S projectors are rated for 55w.
VG33i
Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #20907
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
I'll race you in the Audi! It's still fun when slow. I love just cruising the back roads in the Audi. It's very responsive but still very comfortable for daily duties. It also doesn't feel fast. It's quick but it's so comfortable about it it and there is no drama. It's very German.

The Sentra was dramatic about everything. I don't regret selling it. I love my wagon.
That wouldn't be a fair match at all. My car also has a 3.0 V6 in it but it's mated to an ancient 4 speed slushbox and the steering and suspension are designed such that you don't feel much of anything. Still, I love those things. They are very straightforward to wrench on and rarely ever broken to begin with. I actually sold the honda almost 6 years ago now. I still miss it sometimes. It was probably the most fun to drive out of any of the cars I've owned. That's not saying much though. It's no secret that I'm not particularly fond of German cars but it's not my place to pass judgment either. The cars I roll around in would probably bore you to tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Well, I finally wrapped all the little stuff and finished installing the Hella lights. Tested in the alley at night, very bright. Zip ties and I are now very good friends.

My favorite beater was the 1987 Subie Wagon. That thing would go anywhere. I even took it up a trail where a fully loaded 4WD Toyota truck kept sliding back down. (Led to one of the campsites in the pictures, hardly ever used) Shocks were not good and forget about trying to work on that engine...it was a nightmare to reach anything. Had it for five years and there wasn't a dirt road it couldn't take on and win. Timing belt went gonzo, so I had it fixed. Then it went a second time only 15,000 miles later...I went back to a Nissan. Sent the Subie to the wrecking yard for $300. I kept the shift knob because it was kind of tall, and cool looking. Still have it.

A couple of our cleaning customers have Audis. All I know is they go really fast, but in a reserved, quiet kind of way. Zip...they are just GONE.
Those were cool in that you could switch between FWD and 4WD, compared to the ones that came after which are AWD all the time. In a lot of cases you're really better off pulling the engine out for more serious work. I'm not a big fan of Subarus but I don't find them terribly hard to work on. And we live in the NW where everybody drives one. If you are mechanically inclined eventually someone will bring you a broken Subaru to work on.

Last edited by SBJ; 01-26-2020 at 07:32 AM.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #20908
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Glad you lke the Hellas! I'm thinking of doing a 75w or 100w HID conversion on mine. Way overkill which is just right. It'll be about $100 for a good 75w HID kit. Bulb life is about half what it is on 35w when pushing 75w to it and it drops 2000k in color so I'd need a 6500k bulb to match the 4300k headlights which are probably about due for new bulbs and ballasts anyways. Ballasts are 6+ years old and bulbs are 4-5 years old. It's about time. Might try some dual wattage ballasts. They run 35w on low beam and kick up to 50w when the high beam is activated. My D2S projectors are rated for 55w.
There is a dark and winding country road on the hill near here, so I took test-the-lights drive. The Hellas fill up the low beam area completely. WA state says you can have two extra 'running lights' and don't specify DOT, but I'm not chancing that one. I had these smaller ones a while back on the other truck I ran all the time and never got stopped. Like Hellas, but smaller and not as bright. I may take the truck up to the WA State Patrol Inspection Station and get some advice from them. You can also have two fogs in addition to the four allowed lights, so I might try something in that vein that isn't exactly a fog light, but looks like one. Try to get a few more lumens out there legally.

This lighting stuff on older trucks is really a pain sometimes. What works, what doesn't? What is legal, what isn't? Every modern car has two headlights and what looks like two projectors. It ain't fair.

On a whole different thing...for you prepper and survival buffs out there, one of the toughest things to store on the long term for emergencies is WATER, believe it or not. Bottled water doesn't last forever and leaches chemicals from the plastic. Storing in food grade containers has to be rotated. You can buy Blue Water in cans from Amazon that lasts 50 years, but it costs fifty bucks for a case of 12 oz cans.

But...Pelligrino water...in the GLASS bottles...will last for decades, maybe forever...as long as you keep it out of the sun and don't open them until you need them. Cheaper than Blue Water.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #20909
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Hella 500FF for fogs? Until the Audi I've never had a vehicle with fog lights.

SBJ, a cruise on some twisty back roads would just be fun. I like my German although it is very German.
VG33i
Old 01-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #20910
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default Hindsight 20/20

Last week stripped clear coat, this weekend sanded 220 then 320 grit. I wish I had anticipated all the hours involved making these rims pretty. Too stubborn to cut my losses. Quitters never win. Ordered finer grit discs to fit my 5 inch orbital sander.. These Chevy rims had a machined finish, I am sanding past those fine grooves where the oxidation crept under the clear coat.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote