Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechristmas View Post
Hi team,
This is a general mechanics question...

I was looking at this parts diagram: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...iagram=118_D01

I'd like to replace all the old hoses listed in that diagram. However, they're not for sale any more and I can't find them on Amazon or Ebay or Rock Auto, etc..

For example: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...,118_D01,11830

So, I'm not sure what to do in these circumstances? I'm wary of just going to AutoZone and finding something somewhat the same size as I imagine there are different materials which can withstand different pressure/heat/fluids/etc. I know from doing my timing chain that sometimes the OEM hoses have bends in them which are hard to replicate with non-OEM generic hoses. How do you know what hose to buy when OEM can not be procured?
You can remove the offending hose...take it to the auto parts store...match the size and type from the stock hose they keep on the big rolls there. If you have those old-style clamps going on that hose, use the modern screw clamps when you replace it. Repeat as necessary.

I always advise people not to pull multiple hoses when they do this, but do them one at a time. It is easy to forget which hose goes where, etc. Depending on the hose you bring in for the auto parts store to replace, they can tell you which type of hose you need. The three main ones are air, water hose, or fuel hose. On water hoses, if you can't match stock, sometimes you can just get one they have hanging up that is close to your stock design, and make it work. Other times with water hose you can use off-the-roll as long it can be installed without so much bending that it cuts off water flow.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
stevechristmas (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
etx97xe

Vehicle: nissan pickup 97

I would go to local auto parts store and see if they have similar modern hoses to replace the ones from your old nissan

I have had to on those little coolant bypass hoses

good luck

etx97xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

I think when street-ruler said "water hose is water hose" he meant for auto use, I don't think he was talking about Garden hose for auto use.... was he?
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #14
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD, 2017 Honda CBR500R

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
There are only like two different types of hoses: basically ones that withstand heat and pressure (ie fuel and radiator) and those that don't. Then it's just a matter of size. So take your old hose in and let your parts dude find something similar.

This. For the truck, I was able to just find hoses for other cars that were close enough. Some of them I'd buy a longer pre-bent hose meant for something else and just keep one 90 degree section or something like that, but I was able to get the truck hoses from local auto stores.

For my 190D, there are a lot of weird, really long, oddly bent, etc. hoses. For a few of those guys I've had to use straight sections of hose and get bent metal pipe, flare the ends, and clamp the hose sections to those to get the shape right. I was able to find plumbing pipe at Home Depot that the hose would fit in and bend/flare that to do what I needed to do.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #15
stevechristmas

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21, rwd, 4 cyclinder, manual

ah, using plumping pipe is a cool idea, thanks OldGreyBeast!
stevechristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #16
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

the heat and pressure comment isnt quite correct. fuel injection hose is vastly different than carb fuel hose. the pressures that fuel injection runs is far greater than your water system or a carb fuel hose. less than brakes though.

also, if you think i mean a garden hose, sure. go use that. if you have enough common sense to think that i mean automotive water hose then yes. use that. im gonna let the morons weed themselves out with this one.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
stevechristmas (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #17
h.stickeye
Banned

Vehicle: _

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
the heat and pressure comment isnt quite correct. fuel injection hose is vastly different than carb fuel hose. the pressures that fuel injection runs is far greater than your water system or a carb fuel hose. less than brakes though.

also, if you think i mean a garden hose, sure. go use that. if you have enough common sense to think that i mean automotive water hose then yes. use that. im gonna let the morons weed themselves out with this one.
Don't call people morons who are looking for help.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #18
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post

Ironically garden hose would work perfect in some places in a lot of cars. My Audi has a 3/4-1" hose from one of the the washer fluid reservoir pumps to the headlight washers those things are nuts though. It's like a fire hydrant in front of each headlight. They need the large ID and it gets very little heat or pressure. Lots of volume.

For the cooling system, you might get away with a reinforced garden hose actually. Reinforced hoses can handle a lot of pressure. We run 60+ PSI through reinforced garden hoses in some of the stuff I do. The good ones might handle the temps too. It is a thermoset plastic afterall.

Not telling you guys to put garden hoses in your rigs even though in a pinch it'll probably do. There are just a lot more varieties of hoses than people realize and it's not what it's labelled all the time that's important but it's what it's actually made of and how it's made that matters.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PoBoi850 (01-25-2020), stevechristmas (01-26-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #19
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I need another shitbox in my life so that I can do things like that and not feel bad about it. I once epoxied over a broken water outlet on a car I used to own. I couldn't buy a new one and it was another 3-4 months before I actually had time to go to the junkyard. To it's credit it was not leaking when I finally replaced it. Going the other way my car has a few pieces of 5/16" coolant hose replacing some of the larger vacuum lines. Way overkill but it works and it saved me a trip to the parts store.

Adding to the note about fuel hoses above, if it's going inside the tank it needs to be submersible fuel hose. Regular high pressure fuel hose is only meant to have fuel on the inside and won't hold up inside a gas tank.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
stevechristmas (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #20
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 87 Pathfinder 4x4 SE
Thanked 1,206 Times in 1,109 Posts

The coolant pressure rarely exceeds 16 to 18 psi in a non boosted naturally aspirated engine. When i used the pressure tester to find my coolant leak, i pressurized the system to almost 35 psi. The leak was real easy to find at night with the coolant dye.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
stevechristmas (01-27-2020)