Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Pinstripe

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21, KA24E, 2WD, Manual Transmission
Default Starter Nose Cone Broke

I just finished replacing a broken timing chain guide on my truck, as well as several parts along the way. I got it started almost two weeks ago, and after the first short drive it was having trouble starting. The next time I stopped it wouldn't even start, so I jump started it on a hill but it was sputtering and eventually stalled. I ended up leaving it overnight in another neighbourhood. The only way I could start it and drive it was to hook up a battery pack and actually drive with it hooked up under the hood. After tightening up the alternator/fan belt, and the power steering belt, I managed to get over 13 volts at the battery with the engine running. As far as I know, the loose belt meant that the alternator wasn't charging the battery, and that was the only issue.

Four days ago I started it and heard the starter struggling, and a rattling noise while driving. This happened twice that day, and the third time it wouldn't start at all, so I had to push start it on a hill, and it rattled a lot on the way home.

When I installed a new Bosch starter around nine years ago, the bottom bolt was stripped and I just left it like that. I figured the rattling was the bolt coming out, but when I removed the starter, some of the nose cone had broken off as you can see in the picture! I guess that's what the rattling was. Also, a few years after installing the starter, I started having issues and soldered (not the best, I know) the spade connector to the starter. That wire may have broken off, or I may have broken it off when removing the starter.

When trying to start, I could hear clicking under the dash from the relays, and a clicking sound from under the truck where the starter is. When I unplugged the grey plug going to the starter I wouldn't hear that click, so I figure the starter is getting power.

I did clean the ground connection from the battery to the body, but my battery terminals aren't the best, the negative one even has a crack in it. They aren't caked in corrosion or anything though.

When I removed the starter it didn't appear to be loose, even though the bottom bolt had fallen off. I believe the rattling was from the stripped bolt working itself out, as well as the nose cone breaking off.

In the 16 years and 155,000 km I have owned this truck, I have never replaced any of the relays or the alternator, only the starter once and battery a few times.

How difficult is it to retrieve the nose cone pieces? That part of the starter isn't magnetic. I tested the starter off the truck and the gear does pop out and spin, although it would stop after a few seconds. I'm not sure if that's because it's broken or because I didn't test it properly.

Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,017 Times in 937 Posts

I guess the only sure way is to pull the transmission and flywheel. Anything less than that will probably be a crapshoot. Imagine what could happen if a chunk wedged between the clutch plate or punctured a torque converter.
Pinstripe (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,027 Posts

Agreed. You could have gotten lucky and had your parts fall onto the ground, but the only way you will know for sure would be to pull the transmission and look. If the cast iron parts are in there, they are likely ground up into small pieces. If the bolt is in there, it's not going to bust up - it's going to bust up other stuff.

Once you get it running, you could take it by an auto parts store to have your alternator and battery tested. That's a free service they offer.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Pinstripe (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #4
Pinstripe

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21, KA24E, 2WD, Manual Transmission

Would it be possible for the nose cone to fall onto the ground? When I took the starter off, even though it only had one bolt, it appeared to be on there pretty tight. I'm guessing that the nose cone is inside, and the bolt fell onto the ground as it's the lower one. All I really know is that I heard a bunch of rattling that was not normal!

Is using a claw tool in there an option? I saw somebody suggest on another forum that you could put a rag on the flywheel and turn the engine by hand. jp2code, I suppose that endoscope from Amazon would come in handy!

Thanks for the help.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,017 Times in 937 Posts

Take the spark plugs out so the engine spins without building compression.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
Would it be possible for the nose cone to fall onto the ground? When I took the starter off, even though it only had one bolt, it appeared to be on there pretty tight. I'm guessing that the nose cone is inside, and the bolt fell onto the ground as it's the lower one. All I really know is that I heard a bunch of rattling that was not normal!
Sure, that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
Is using a claw tool in there an option? I saw somebody suggest on another forum that you could put a rag on the flywheel and turn the engine by hand. jp2code, I suppose that endoscope from Amazon would come in handy!
You need to have a way to snake an endoscope in there. There might be an opening to allow this, but I'm not sure.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

use the starter hole. its the best for a borescope.

harbor freight sells one for 75 bucks or so. its too big to fit into a sparkplug hole but its good for a lot of stuff around the house too. i have one.

you can also remove the boot at the throwout fork and shove the borescope in there.
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote