Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #17181
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Picked up a couple of door speaker adapters and tweeter pillars from a Pathy at the junkyard today. Now to get the actual tweeters and brackets to go behind them.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:38 AM   #17182
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I'll go with that. No real reason to overfill.

Same goes with the engine crankcase. Getting into the habit of overfilling things can get you into trouble.
I guess you've never owned a vehicle that burns oil. It doesn't really matter if you put an extra quart in because it'll be gone by the next time you check the dipstick anyways. I used to buy two of those 5-quart jugs of oil. Pour 4 of them in and by the time you've burned through the other six it's time to drain the nasty goop from the bottom of the pan and change the filter. I'd never overfill an automatic transmission, though.

What I did to the D21 today: washed it (like actually washed it) for the first time probably since I bought it. Going to wax it tomorrow since I've got an extra clay bar and some wax left over from doing the car. I'm betting it'll turn out pretty nice since the paint's still in relatively decent shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
do we have a windage tray?
Not really. There's a baffle towards the top of the oil pan but it mostly just keeps it from splashing around too much. You can still see the bottom end with the pan removed.

Last edited by SBJ; 06-04-2018 at 02:47 AM.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #17183
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

If you want to fill up a crankcase properly on an oil change, the really best way to do it is to add the recommended amount. Then you start up the rig after you are all finished and let it run for about a minute or two. Then shut off the motor, give it another minute or two to let ALL the oil drain back into the pan...and check the oil level again and adjust as necessary.

This is especially true if you add Lucas treatment to your oil. BTW - You should always add the Lucas BEFORE adding the regular oil. Until it mixes with the new oil, it takes a lot longer to drain down to the crankcase. Adding the regular oil after the Lucas sort of helps it along on that trip down to the crankcase.

I highly recommend Lucas at every oil change. Back there a ways on this thread, I mentioned I picked up four quarts of premium oil, a filter, and a quart of Lucas for $22 using discounts from Advance Auto/Carquest. Turns out my card was only charged $16 and change. They don't do the discounts until you pick up the order. That is the cheapest I've done a premium oil change with additive...ever. Now they are allowing you six months to cash in your Speed Perks discounts, up from the three months it once was. You get those every time you buy something, and no code numbers to memorize. Signing up with these guys will save you money for sure.

One of the biggest discounts I ever got from Advance/Carquest was last year. I used a 30% off your order promotion, combined it with a Speed Perk and another special, and picked up a 105-amp hour (weight: 70 pounds) deep-cycle battery for $86 plus tax. The closest to that at Amazon are the 100 amp hour batteries than run anywhere from $160-$260 each. The battery I bought for powering devices through a 750-watt inverter. It will run a 42" TV for a lot of hours. When our power went out once, I hooked our refrigerator through the inverter/battery combo and ran it for three hours until the power came back on. For camping, I can run the TV, a DVD player, and provide instant charging for a laptop or a phone...all at the same time. If I stay out for several days, or a week or more, I can recharge the battery using a small gas generator. For that, I run 150 feet of extension cord to keep the noise away, and put the generator behind a big stump for additional noise suppression. Maximum output drop on that long a line runs no more than 20%, which is an acceptable trade off for no noise. The only 'bad' side is the walk out there to refuel the generator.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 06-04-2018 at 03:30 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #17184
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

U really love that place don't you. I've never heard someone spruik so much!
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #17185
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
U really love that place don't you. I've never heard someone spruik so much!
I'm just a cheap bastard that won't pay a penny more for anything then absolutely necessary. I'm good with the tips for working folk, though.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #17186
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

you can get some good prices from advance auto if you google a discount code, pay online and pick up in store. i bought a set of front rotors for the lexus from them in 2016. i ended up getting almost 40 percent off the total price.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #17187
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Picked up a couple of door speaker adapters and tweeter pillars from a Pathy at the junkyard today. Now to get the actual tweeters and brackets to go behind them.

i am currently running a set of factory chevy cobalt tweeters. i had to do some very minor trimming, but they fit. and they sound pretty good too. i snagged them off fleabay a while back for probably 20 bucks.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #17188
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
i am currently running a set of factory chevy cobalt tweeters. i had to do some very minor trimming, but they fit. and they sound pretty good too. i snagged them off fleabay a while back for probably 20 bucks.

I bought a set of those shortly after you posted the link after you got yours.

I wasn't able to see how you got those to fit, so they are sitting in a bin somewhere.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #17189
Midnight Tech

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of the parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

I'll look into those, cadillac!

And I do the Napa reserve online pick up in store when they have the 10% off deal, plus Napa rewards for $5 off after $100 purchase.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #17190
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post

And I do the Napa reserve online pick up in store when they have the 10% off deal, plus Napa rewards for $5 off after $100 purchase.
The NAPA here is pretty cool. They let me use my expired AAA card for 10% off. Haven't tried the expired student ID yet lol.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote