Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
VroomRollLex

Vehicle: '96 D21
Default 5 lug conversion

I've been on the forum for a while,
I want to go 5 lug, but I'm contemplating wether Toyota rear end, mustang (8.8) or redrilling my stock ones,

Question mostly about the Toyota rear 88-95 because that's the one that's probably the easiest and cheapest. aside from the driveshaft that needs a little modification,
I couldn't find anything on the rest of this swap, does it swap in like the stock one? Do the spring perches line up? Bolt on?
VroomRollLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Tatujess
Praise the lowered

Vehicle: 97 hardbody based Frankenstein project, static slammed 64 beetle, h&r grounded e46 330i

Everything is really close but not dead on... there's a company online I forget their name rn, but they make an adaptor for the driveshaft to mate up. spring perches are within Mm's and overall width is slightly narrower if I remember right. There's a thread on here listing the rearend lengths and gear ratios for each model change on the yotas... I was gonna do the yota swap, still have the v6 rear ended already bracketed for reversed four link but I went with a 240sx independent instead and got the five lug, disc brakes, kept a flat bed floor and the driveshaft bolted up like it'd always been there. so it outweighed the yota conversion.. if I remember right to get the yota live axle in there I think the perch holes just need to be bigger or a little more inboard so the pin on the stack or block can line up right. Hopefully someone chimes in for ya with more detailed info cuz it's been done a gazillion times... good luck with it dude.... the front end was the harder decision for me... whether to machine my new drop spindles or my yota hubs to get the bearings where they needed to be on the spindle shaft. I opted for machining the hubs and it's great so far I prolly could have taken a little more meat off but I was sketched out doin it myself on the lathe...

Last edited by Tatujess; 07-30-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Tatujess is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
VroomRollLex (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
VroomRollLex

Thanks for the input!
I just purchased an 87 rearend off a Toyota 2wd with the 3.583 gear ratio.
Also picked up front hubs off that truck, I just shipped them out to get machined. I heard that the 84-88 ones work, as they are similar to the 89-95 hubs.
Along with the rear end I was given the driveshaft, so if I can't find that complaint that makes hat adapter, I'll take it to a shop.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
VroomRollLex

I just noticed on my hardbody differential there is a sensor. VSS (speed sensor) I assume. The Toyota rear doesn't have any sensors, what have people done in the past?
I searched, some people say it's ABS, my truck is a '96 and doesn't have ABS.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
VroomRollLex

Well, I did the swap today.
The rear end came from an 1987 Toyota Pickup.
Bolted right just like the Nissan Hardbody one. Everything lined up, leaf springs are a bit crooked but it should be fine. I'll be going to get a custom driveshaft sometime next week.
I used the stock hardbody leaf spring perches along with the stock u bolts.

The e-brake cables idk what I'm going to do yet, because they don't fit right in like the hardbody ones.
I'm hoping someone will chime in and at least drop some help.
Thanks in advance.