Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 10-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #211
hardbodyhero
SONIC BOOM)))))))))))))))

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Hardbody King Cab Auto

Hey xill, do you happen to have the manual that came with them things? I was able to pick up some chissistech myself, but cannot find installation manual or any paperwork that goes with it.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #212
tilepusher

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1993

Has anyone tried making a 3" bracket to attach to the upper shock pointing point, to raise the where the shock mounts. Allowing the use of full length stock sized shocks? Ir would the angle be too great, causing the shocks to rub against the tires?
tilepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #213
tilepusher

I was also thinking for the rear leaf springs, I could drill through the frame & weld a long bolt to relocate the upper shock further away from the lower axle shock mount to allow the use of a stock sized shock like KYB Mono Max shocks.

I think I might use a 3" section of 2" Steel pipe for the front upper bracket welded to a 1/4" steel plate with a welded lip(so it doesn't spin) & weld a 1/4 steel 4" x 2" plate to the top. After drilling 3, 1/2" holes in the plates, I could attach the unit to the stock front upper shock hole with a long bolt & the shock through a 1/2 hole at the end of the top 4" plate.

I haven't measured for clearance issues yet, but I think I should be good. Since I have only lowered my truck 3" at both ends, I think moving the shock mounting points 3" wider should allow the use of stock sized shocks again, of much better quality than the current blown out short twin tube Bell Tech shocks that I am currently using. Sadly, the Bell Tech's only lasted 1 year, on the rough Las Vegas construction zone streets. I know the KYB Mono Max's will last much longer. Lastly, I need to talk my mechanic friend into cutting, drilling & welding the pieces together..... I am pretty sure he is going to make me drill the rear frame myself. Any tips on drilling a 1/2" hole in the frame? I'll try to take pictures, if I can make this project happen.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #214
tilepusher

Bad news. Relocating the driver's side Rear shock mounting bolt would be no problem, but the Rear passenger side, would require me to remove the bed to get to drill the holes in the frame & take off & on the shock. So this idea is a no go for me.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #215
xill

Vehicle: 91 HB 2wd RC/SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbodyhero View Post
Hey xill, do you happen to have the manual that came with them things? I was able to pick up some chissistech myself, but cannot find installation manual or any paperwork that goes with it.
Mine didn't come with a manual or instructions. And I have no idea why I'm just now being notified about new posts on this thread. Sorry for the late reply.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #216
tilepusher

I emailed KYB Tech Support & asked them if they had a short bodied Mono Max that would work on lowered Hard Bodies. They got back to me & told me that they had nothing that would work up front, but it the rear, they mentioned that KG4006 might work & that they were a better shock than most lowering shocks on the market. Here's the Spec's: Length: 14.961, Extended Length: 17.44, Compressed Length: 11.14. This a KYB Gas-A-Just, Monotube shock. Online from Jegs or Summit, for about $36 each.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #217
tilepusher

I just ordered the KYB KG4006's for the rear. I'll let you guys know how it works out, after I install them, with shaved stock bump stops.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #218
tilepusher

I got the KYB KG4006's installed in the rear today. What a difference over the year old Bell Tech Street Performance shocks. After just 1 year, the Bell Tech's were super easy to compress & they stayed compressed for quite a few minutes. The KYB's were very hard to compress, just to install them & returned to fully extended in maybe 2 seconds. I hope these KYB Gas-A-Just shocks made for a mid 70's Honda Civic, will last longer than the Bell Tech's. I have my doubts though, the diameter of the Bell Tech's shocks are huge compared to the skinny KYB's. Time will tell. If these don't last. I am thinking of going to Ride Tech's....... they are pricey at $135 each, for the non-adjustable Mono Tube's.