Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wiring and Electrical

Old 08-06-2017, 03:42 AM   #11
burman8r

Vehicle: '93 Nissan D21 V6

I pulled all the fuses under the dash and they all looked fine. However, I did think i heard a pop when checking voltages as my meter crossed over the wrong wire. Is there a way to check dimmer switch viability without having it plugged into a power source? Could my headlamp switch just be fried as indicated by the lack of functional blinkers even though both my headlights and brights work? My suspicion is that a ground is loose somewhere on the end of the circuit but I have a lot of trouble understanding the circuit diagrams when I'm looking at the setup face to face
burman8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #12
burman8r

Blinkers are working again fine
Old 08-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #13
burman8r

Alright so I did not measure any current between the pink/black and pink/blue wires running into the cluster. Just to make sure I was doing things right, I did measure 12V across any of the functioning sockets along the dash circuit (blinkers high beams)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #14
burman8r

All of my fuses are fine, blinkers are back, but I'm not measuring any current across the cluster other than where functioning lights like the hi beam indicator etc... are. I'm not getting any current across the dimmer switch either
Old 08-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,100 Posts

Just to be clear, voltage and current are two different things. We're looking for DC voltage. The setting for DC volts on the meter is typically indicated by dashes ---. Put the red meter lead on the pink/blue wire on the back of the cluster with that connector unplugged. Put the black meter lead to ground. You should have about 12vdc with the headlight switch on. If you don't, check for 12vdc on the pink/blue wire at the headlight switch. Let's see the results of this and then keep moving.
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #16
burman8r

So the problem ended up fixing itself once the driver door to my truck ended up getting slammed pretty hard. I would guess that this confirms that the problem is simply a loose ground somewhere on the circuit. For now I'm probably just going to leave things the way they are and perhaps revisit the dash light ground should I choose to try and fix my cruise control