Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Emendia

Vehicle: 1992 Red 2.4L D21, Automatic, Over 226K
Default Roll On Interlux Paint

I had been considering a rustoleum roll-on job on my old truck (I'm not looking to bring it up to show quality, just not looking like crap.). Much of the current talk about roll-on jobs has moved on from Rustoleum and focused on using marine paint, specifically Brightside or Perfection by Interlux. But after a lot of reading the deal-breaker for me is that it's clear that the durability just isn't there with any roll-on paint except maybe the more expensive stuff, and at that point one might as well go with a real auto urethane sprayed on... Anyway, this thread cinched it for me so I thought I'd share:

http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/perfe..._topic770.html

Bottom line is that even the two-part Perfection urethane from Interlux is only good for three years or so before it fails; that is unless you keep your car garaged. So my current plan is to do all the body work and prep myself on my truck, then when I'm ready get the least expensive urethane job I can get, ideally matched to the original Aztec Red. Anyone have a preference over Macco, uncle Earl, or other similar places?
Emendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Uncle Earl ; cracked me up; I will be looking at paint in a few years ; If all goes well with the rest of the restoration I will probably bite the bullet and get a decent paint job.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
1994HardBody

Vehicle: 1994 hardbody

i did mine with rustoleum and just used a airless spray gun its decent.
1994HardBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
veesix

Vehicle: 1988 SE V6 KingCab

You can spray on paint without to much trouble (if you're just looking for a utilitarian paint job.) Remember that the paint has to be compatible with the primer.
veesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #5
Emendia

Vehicle: 1992 Red 2.4L D21, Automatic, Over 226K

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesix View Post
You can spray on paint without to much trouble (if you're just looking for a utilitarian paint job.) Remember that the paint has to be compatible with the primer.
Wish I could... but I live in an apartment complex. They're so strict they don't allow any car repairs on the property, let alone some sort of makeshift spray booth... and living in Cali also means I can't rent a booth. That's why I was looking at roll on options. Oh well, it'll get painted eventually. Or maybe I'll figure out how to paint the tail gate and hood myself... the rest of the truck isn't so bad. Besides, if I make it look good someone might steal it!
Emendia is offline   Reply With Quote