Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Suspension

Old 06-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
cDANKowens

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1994
Default Lowering a 4x4 Hardbody

I have a 1994 Hardbody I recently purchased. I intend to fix it up a bit and make it an excellent example but I still want to change things up a bit and mod it lightly, or as lightly as I can. The first mod I plan to do is lowering it so it has less roll in corners, makes it slightly sportier and a rarity around where I live. The trick is, it's 4 wheel drive. Before people tell me to sell it and get a 2wd I live in a climate where I need 4wd, if rwd was an option I'd have gotten a Z car or a 240sx.
So with that out of the way, from what I understand I would have to loosen the torsion bars for the front end to drop. Keep in mind I'm not looking to scrape so I hopefully won't be putting too much stress on the front end parts. The rear is a bit of a different story due to the leaf springs being on top of the axle. Now a leaf flip is on the forefront of my plans with either blocks or spring inserts to lower it. Am I missing anything I would have to do? I plan on replacing the shocks with performance shocks I found on rock auto to accommodate for the lowering.

Any help regarding my conundrum is appreciated, happy to be apart of the infamous Nissan family!
cDANKowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,253 Posts

You can lower the front with torsion bars. The easiest way I can think of to lower the back and maintain function is to swap the rear axle for a 2wd axle. It will already have the leaf spring perches on the bottom of the axle.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #3
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I believe foul mouth lowered his rally hardbody on 31s. Hopefully he will comment!
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDANKowens View Post
I have a 1994 Hardbody I recently purchased. I intend to fix it up a bit and make it an excellent example but I still want to change things up a bit and mod it lightly, or as lightly as I can. The first mod I plan to do is lowering it so it has less roll in corners, makes it slightly sportier and a rarity around where I live. The trick is, it's 4 wheel drive. Before people tell me to sell it and get a 2wd I live in a climate where I need 4wd, if rwd was an option I'd have gotten a Z car or a 240sx.
So with that out of the way, from what I understand I would have to loosen the torsion bars for the front end to drop. Keep in mind I'm not looking to scrape so I hopefully won't be putting too much stress on the front end parts. The rear is a bit of a different story due to the leaf springs being on top of the axle. Now a leaf flip is on the forefront of my plans with either blocks or spring inserts to lower it. Am I missing anything I would have to do? I plan on replacing the shocks with performance shocks I found on rock auto to accommodate for the lowering.

Any help regarding my conundrum is appreciated, happy to be apart of the infamous Nissan family!
if you do a spring under swap you'll lower the truck roughly 6" that's a HUGE amount.
You'll completely ruin the rear pinion angle aswell as the driveshaft will be much too long so keep that cost in mind.

as for the front you certainly can turn the torsion bars down but unfortunately that will make the spring rate softer because you have less spring tension. That will result in a more floaty ride and even more body roll. In order to achieve your goal you'd have to re-index the torsion bars in the anchors to retain your spring rate.

If you want less body roll I recommend installing a rear sway bar.
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote