Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Chuckles

Vehicle: 96 Nissan 4x4 Pickup
Default EGR tube removal causing misfire?

Alright so this might be a bit long. Back like 7 years ago I bought my 96 hardbody. It had a bad exhaust leak at the manifold so I took it to a muffler shop to have a new exhaust manifold put on. When they did this they ended up cutting and removing the EGR tube (among other things but I believe I have rectified those). Anyway fast forward after several years of not being able to pass an emissions inspection and I'm trying to get this truck back to running right without having to cheat the system and spend $200 a year for them to tell me its messed up. Within the last week or so it developed a pretty significant misfire around the lower RPMs. Ive been through this up and down trying to chase it but everything seems fine until I cut it on. I'm wondering if the cut EGR tube is causing this problem as well as a p1130 CE code. I'm planning on replacing the exhaust system myself this time but if the cut tube is what the problem is then Ill have to move up my timetable for that
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,163 Posts

P1130 is the Swirl Control Valve. I'm not sure what it is or if it is a part of the EGR system, though. I don't think my V6 has one.

For the misfire, have you confirmed that your Ignition Timing is properly set to 14?
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

One or more of his injectors are bad, I'm willing to bet
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Alright so this might be a bit long. Back like 7 years ago I bought my 96 hardbody. It had a bad exhaust leak at the manifold so I took it to a muffler shop to have a new exhaust manifold put on. When they did this they ended up cutting and removing the EGR tube (among other things but I believe I have rectified those). Anyway fast forward after several years of not being able to pass an emissions inspection and I'm trying to get this truck back to running right without having to cheat the system and spend $200 a year for them to tell me its messed up. Within the last week or so it developed a pretty significant misfire around the lower RPMs. Ive been through this up and down trying to chase it but everything seems fine until I cut it on. I'm wondering if the cut EGR tube is causing this problem as well as a p1130 CE code. I'm planning on replacing the exhaust system myself this time but if the cut tube is what the problem is then Ill have to move up my timetable for that
It is much more likely that something ELSE is causing the misfire. The reason is because if the EGR was going to cause a misfire, it probably would have done it right away, after the tube was removed. It wouldn't wait years to do that.

Here is a general, all-around hint on ignition misfires:

If the truck only misses at high-speed freeway travel....look to a fuel delivery problem. Pump, injector maybe, or fuel filter.

If the truck only misses under a load, like going up a very steep hill....look to distributor, distributor cap, spark plug, rotor, plug wire, coil, or the like.

If the truck misses at idle, chances more likely it is the same problem as the 'under load' things, or you have a vacuum leak. These are not absolutes, but they work for diagnosis if the miss is under those certain conditions. In other words, IF it only misses under load and not anywhere else. Or IF it misses ONLY at high speed travel. If the miss is consistent everywhere, could be any of those things listed except maybe the fuel pump. A bad pump or fuel filter will not usually cause a miss at idle, but only at higher speeds.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD, 2017 Honda CBR500R

I've got the older VG, but I removed the EGR stuff from my truck back when I first got it and it hasn't had any issues. I had some stumbling in low RPMs many years ago and the problem ended up being a bad ground wire in the engine bay. Unfortunately I don't remember where it was. It took a while to track it down.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
I've got the older VG, but I removed the EGR stuff from my truck back when I first got it and it hasn't had any issues. I had some stumbling in low RPMs many years ago and the problem ended up being a bad ground wire in the engine bay. Unfortunately I don't remember where it was. It took a while to track it down.
I think the emissions on the newer Hardbodys prevent EGR removal.

I'm not 100%, though.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I think the emissions on the newer Hardbodys prevent EGR removal.

I'm not 100%, though.
Well, I wouldn't try it on a 96 or 97 model, that's for sure. Those years have the code reader plug-in near the fuse box. You start screwing with the emissions on those late-90's trucks, you are just asking for trouble. You have to watch out what you pull off, or what you mess with, because it can cause other problems to pop up. It's a symbiotic system, as they say. Some things rely on OTHER things to do their job, keep working, and not toss you unnecessary CEL codes. Sometimes trying to bypass or remove certain things on the late model trucks is like a neurosurgeon trying to remove a small tumor from your brain in a real tough place to reach.

In other words, even if he succeeds, other stuff will probably get screwed up anyway.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD, 2017 Honda CBR500R

You can pull the emissions off ODBii vehicles, just need to do some work after. I had to put a piggyback on the ECU of the yaris and used a AEM F/IC to adjust the fuel and timing. Never had any CELs on it.

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #9
jp2code
Software Developer

I can agree with that.

When I removed the CATS from my 2012 Altima, I was able to message the O2 sensor bugs so that the CEL would turn off.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

i deleted my EGR system and plugged the bung on the header and intake. i dont have any codes popping up but then again i havent really driven since the DOHC swap. im still battling leaks after a fresh rebuild. leaking from powersteering return line, oil pump bolts and something is leaking between the trans and engine....but i changed that rear main seal.....ugh
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote