Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
Sebschu105

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21
Default Megasquirt and DE

I know many posts have come up regarding swapping the DE onto an E block or swapping the whole motor in and every variation. However, my question is more specifically targeting megasquirt compatibility. I have the Megasquirt for a 90-95 HB, 89-94 240sx and a few other vehicles. If I were to swap a DE head onto an E block, with the head being from a DOHC Frontier, would my megasquirt support that?
Sebschu105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #2
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I would think so, since the intake swap is a common modification and the E/DE both have two intake valves. Where you might run into trouble is with the pistons...the DE pistons have four valve reliefs in them while the E pistons have 3.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
Sebschu105

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21

Swapping to forged pistons. Really considering the DOHC swap, way more parts for aftermarket
Sebschu105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I would think so, since the intake swap is a common modification and the E/DE both have two intake valves. Where you might run into trouble is with the pistons...the DE pistons have four valve reliefs in them while the E pistons have 3.
I guess do not understand what valve reliefs would have to do with an ECU/ECM running an engine. I would think having the same type sensors and values would be more important than physical internals (Does the DE have any extra electrical stuff?, never bothered to even look at the DE swap). Regardless, it would probably need to tuned after it was over.

I would agree the DE has like 4 million times the support. It was too easy for an older KA to be swapped out to start adding stuff to be limited in HP compared to everyone else. I would go to a 240sx forum (or section here) and see who has done the swap and what sensors or electrical stuff they had to modify.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysmak View Post
I guess do not understand what valve reliefs would have to do with an ECU/ECM running an engine. I would think having the same type sensors and values would be more important than physical internals (Does the DE have any extra electrical stuff?, never bothered to even look at the DE swap). Regardless, it would probably need to tuned after it was over.

I would agree the DE has like 4 million times the support. It was too easy for an older KA to be swapped out to start adding stuff to be limited in HP compared to everyone else. I would go to a 240sx forum (or section here) and see who has done the swap and what sensors or electrical stuff they had to modify.
I just meant that a DE head might not be compatible with an E block since the DE has an extra exhaust valve and the valve reliefs in the pistons may be different. Sorry, I'm a bit out of my element here.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

ill chime in here. might not be much

i have swapped the 98 frontier KA24DE into my truck and like many other post that discuss this it pretty much a direct swap. i found that the blocks seem to be exactly the same but like SBJ said there maybe differances in the piston valve relief. i didnt take off the head of the KA24E to see. if your 12 Valve KA24E has 3 valves per cylinder then they maybe relieved for those 3 valves add a 4th valve to each cylinder could cause interference issues.

i dont know if this is a realistic swap. i just did the whole thing

The KA24DE has dished pistons....just sayin.

Electrically my 97 KA24E wiring harness plugged right into the 98 KA24DE. The only thing different is the Idle Air Control Valve... it had a different pigtail so i just swapped it over.

Here are the things i used to do the swap from KA24E to KA24DE:
HB Driveshaft
HB Trans
HB Exhaust Cat back
HB Wire harness
HB Idle Air Control Valve

HB Pwr Steering pump
HB Alternator and belt
HB AC Compressor and belt
HB throttle body studs for the Air filter box, Frontier is to tall looks like it was going to hit the hood.
HB air filter box
HB oil pan (i had the 4X4 engine and the oil pan hits the torsion bar and doesnt allow the slave cylinder to be mounted and it hangs lower than the bracket just below the oil pan.)
HB oil pickup tube (again cause i had the 4X4 oil pan, 4X4 oil DOES NOT WORK)
HB ECU
HB Dip stick and tube

Frontier Stuff used:
FT Pwr Steering belt
FT Header (pacesetter) the exhaust manifold was cracked in half so for a few more bucks i just got the header
FT exhaust pipe that came with the Pacesetter bolted to remaining exhaust
FT Clutch
FT Motor mounts but im sure the HB will work too. i found out the studs are not the same thread pitch but maybe that was the brand issue.
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTCTR View Post
ill chime in here. might not be much

i have swapped the 98 frontier KA24DE into my truck and like many other post that discuss this it pretty much a direct swap. i found that the blocks seem to be exactly the same but like SBJ said there maybe differances in the piston valve relief. i didnt take off the head of the KA24E to see. if your 12 Valve KA24E has 3 valves per cylinder then they maybe relieved for those 3 valves add a 4th valve to each cylinder could cause interference issues.

i dont know if this is a realistic swap. i just did the whole thing
Nice info to have. I didn't concentrate on the actual mechanical aspect of the swap due to the original question but it is always helpful to give all the details so people understand that just because the square peg fit in the round hole once doesn't meant it was supposed to go there.

At this point I say the megasquirt deal would probably be fine, I would almost throw it on a 240sx DE just to see what happens at this point. Not sure if the harness is out of the truck in question or I now look like a jerk for suggesting it though. The only question I have electrically is if the 97 since it is OBD II Vs the 90-95 model had anything different under the hood besides maybe some emissions stuff that the megasquirt would "overlook" anyway (I can't think of anything off the top of my head)?

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote