Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #20581
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Sifi, the hella 500 is a different animal from little aux lights and fog lights. They are basically a high speed off road light if you got the ones with the driving light pattern. They project a long ways and don't contain the beam because you want as much light everywhere as possible off-road. I would never run them with low beams around other cars. You can basically leave the caps on and use them for fog lights. They are that intense with halogens in them. You will love them when the road gets dark.

Or law is very similar. I can only have 4 bulbs at a time though at or below headlight level. Off-road lights must be capped when not in use and only used with high beams. Legally I can't even have fog lights on with the high beams on my car as that would be 6 beams. Not that I need fog lights with my highs. Fogs make too much forelight. I'm not a fan.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #20582
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Sifi, the hella 500 is a different animal from little aux lights and fog lights. They are basically a high speed off road light if you got the ones with the driving light pattern. They project a long ways and don't contain the beam because you want as much light everywhere as possible off-road. I would never run them with low beams around other cars. You can basically leave the caps on and use them for fog lights. They are that intense with halogens in them. You will love them when the road gets dark.

Or law is very similar. I can only have 4 bulbs at a time though at or below headlight level. Off-road lights must be capped when not in use and only used with high beams. Legally I can't even have fog lights on with the high beams on my car as that would be 6 beams. Not that I need fog lights with my highs. Fogs make too much forelight. I'm not a fan.
Well...you are the guy currently running Hella 500's. So I will believe your take on the whole thing. Maybe the reason the cops didn't pull me over when I had the other, smaller spot lamps going on the 89 truck was because they were pretty low-powered. 20 watts, and the housings were smaller than a Hella set. Oh...the lights showed up on my doorstep today. I haven't really taken them out to look yet though. I ordered the FF (freeform) set. I just watched a good video at YouTube where some pro shows you what different series of these Hellas do...yeah...they throw a LOT of light out there. No way to run them all the time. You would have to point them at the ground six inches in front of the truck LOL. I will run them off road only. Hella DOES have a stock headlight upgrade though. One series is DOT approved. I will probably do that, rather than switching to LED headlights or going HID. I don't drive at night that much anyway. The main thing is I just want to ditch these stock sealed beam headlights. Something from Hella won't be the same as HID, but would certainly be better than the crap Sylvania sealed beams I have going now. And Hella is selling the conversion set for 85 bucks right now at Amazon. Comes with the bulbs, too. Seems worth a try. Your opinion means a lot to me. The entry for them at Amazon is HERE.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; Yesterday at 05:58 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #20583
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Run those 500s with your highs, don't just limit yourself to off road. Those things have saved my ass quite a few times on dark roads.

The hella 7x6 housings are nice. I believe Hardb0dy used to run those. I ran the Autopal ones. About half the cost of the hella. I wouldn't run LED or HID in either of them. The optics of the housing just isn't made for those. The focal point is all wrong. Run a good bulb like a halogen nighbreaker and it'll be a huge difference from sealed beam for you.

For the 500s, if you want more from them go HID in them. LED just doesn't focus right to the focal point of the 500. HID just puts out so much light it basically blows through that issue. I have been planning a HID upgrade for mine but I don't want the warm up time that is inherent to arc lamps.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #20584
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,238 Times in 1,092 Posts

I've got the cheap sealed beam headlights, and they have never given me any issues. I can see fine at night and I don't blind oncoming traffic.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #20585
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Run those 500s with your highs, don't just limit yourself to off road. Those things have saved my ass quite a few times on dark roads.

The hella 7x6 housings are nice. I believe Hardb0dy used to run those. I ran the Autopal ones. About half the cost of the hella. I wouldn't run LED or HID in either of them. The optics of the housing just isn't made for those. The focal point is all wrong. Run a good bulb like a halogen nighbreaker and it'll be a huge difference from sealed beam for you.

For the 500s, if you want more from them go HID in them. LED just doesn't focus right to the focal point of the 500. HID just puts out so much light it basically blows through that issue. I have been planning a HID upgrade for mine but I don't want the warm up time that is inherent to arc lamps.
No HID or LED for me. (except dashboard lights LED) I will leave the Hellas stock, and do what you said on them, as well as on the replacement of the sealed beams. I think that will do fine. My sincerest Christmas thanks for your advice.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote