Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wheels and Tires

Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck
Wink My wheel restomod project.

When I got the truck, she had 15" wheels from a newer 4wd d21 (97 maybe?), but they are in horrible condition. on the face, the clear coat is chipping and some oxidization has started in some places. The back of the wheels were coated in dirt and brake fluid from years of leaky wheel cylinders. So I decided to do something about the wheels, while I wait for parts that are supposed to be here, Friday Dec 6th.

Step 1: clean off the wheels as good as possible with a pressure washer.

That went pretty good I suppose. Actually, I was a little disappointed, because when I was done, they still looked pretty nasty. I know my wheels are aluminum, but that did not stop me from using "Stainless steel" appliance cleaner to these wheels.

Step 2: sprayed on the SS cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes, then I went to town with an assortment of wire brushes, sand paper and window scrapers and basically anything that would help remove all the crud that was on these wheels.

Step 3 : Pressure wash wheels again, to remove residual build up. This is when I noticed "overspray" or a very thin coat of paint. I have no idea what this is from. who knows, any guess is a good one.

Step 4 : Using a wire wheel on my DeWalt 3spd Hammer Drill, I scuffed up the face and removed as much "chipped" clear as possible.

Step 5 : with some course sandpaper, I scuffed up both sides of the rim.

Step 6 : wet sanded both sides of the wheel until most of the rough stuff was smoother.

Right now, this is as far as I have gotten. I plan to paint the insides or backs of the rims black. I saw a Dodge Challenger that had Dark Gray rims, and the backs were red, and I liked it enough to try and copy it. I plan on using a gold metallic paint that supposed to have a mirror finish when I get done. WE WILL SEE ABOUT THAT. I only spent about $15 on the gold stuff, and a couple more dollars on wire wheels and primer. So for less than $50 plus time and effort, I should have a decent set of wheels when I get done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191201_162419.jpg (54.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190829_071410.jpg (62.2 KB, 34 views)
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
mytmouz

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

The wheels have a plastisized coating that is peeling off...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
PoBoi850 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
PoBoi850

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
The wheels have a plastisized coating that is peeling off...
Yeah, that's what I was calling the "clear coat" I guess. Wire wheel seems to take it off OK. Paint thinner did nothing. That's when I knew it was not paint.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Please continue with pics and progress, I have a similar project planned, but am torn between customizing the old or looking for some chrome replacements
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
PoBoi850

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
Please continue with pics and progress, I have a similar project planned, but am torn between customizing the old or looking for some chrome replacements
Most Definitely will. I'm planning on some progress this weekend if it doesn't rain too much, since I got my wheel cylinders in from Rock Auto. Then end goal is to have a shiny gold look. I want them to look unique. If this doesn't work out like I hope, I will probably just spray them with plastic dip, but some ridiculous color like blue or purple. just to stand out. my truck is Black, with a little red pinstripe near the body line, and cheezie "NISSAN" graphics at the bottom. (I say cheezie, but I like it still.)
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
PoBoi850

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
The "go to" move around here, is to slap some chrome pathfinder wheels on it, but i like to be different. I dont know if these wheels came on 2wd models or not, but i haven't seen any on a 2wd. Got a lot of prep to do before i start actually putting paint on them tho.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #7
PoBoi850

Well, the gold didn't come out like i had hoped, but it did come out as i expected. So i called an audible. Wet sanded the gold and went to black faces with the inner rim gold. On 15" wheels, it isn't that noticeable, but oh well. Untill Xmas, that is probably it for this project. I will updates with pics and progress
Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM   #8
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoBoi850 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was calling the "clear coat" I guess. Wire wheel seems to take it off OK. Paint thinner did nothing. That's when I knew it was not paint.
Lacquer thinner might work. It's like nail polish remover.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #9
PoBoi850

As promised, PICS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHEELS ON TRUCK.jpg (52.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rim2.jpg (35.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rim.jpg (53.6 KB, 6 views)
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #10
PoBoi850

Probably still gonna do something different. My ps caliper was sticking, so when and/ or if I have to address that, i will have a reason to have the wheels off again. I lubed it up pretty good but idk how long it will last.