Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
mytmouz

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody
Default My build...

My grandfather bought this truck brand new. It started out as a base model truck in grey. Weirdest optioned truck i have seen. Column auto/4 cylinder. It had black plastic trim originally,. Had one driver side mounted rear view mirror, the glass was all clear (front not shaded or tinted either) and the rear view mirror had no provision to flip it over from day to night driving. Had a vinyl mat instead of carpet, no floor mats, and a vinyl covered bench seat. Truck originally came with power steering, AC/cruise, and an FM radio. Like I said, weird...

Truck never got over 15 mpg from day it was bought, which is part of the reason it now has a v8, lol...

I take very few pics, and most are crappy, I have no pics of it in original form, may find one I can scan in one day...

Anyway, this is the only pic I do have of the truck, and is how it currently sits, I am an old guy, so no bags, blocks, etc...

Last edited by mytmouz; 07-08-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Wrong pic...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #2
mytmouz

Truck is now Blue. After owning it for several years after my grandfather left it to me when he passed, I had a run in with a deer. I used to own a body shop, but had no access to equipment anymore, so I pulled the fender and hod on the driver side, and pulled the corner back out with a chain tied to a tree, then stomped the fender and hood back into approximate shape and drove it that way for a LOONNGGG time...

I had slowly junkyard swapped to carpet, cloth bench, etc over the years, and had dealt with the aggravating door glass mechanisms several times. Traded mydoors and a $100 boot for some 4x4 doors with the chrome stuff, same color panels, and tinted door glass and the later upgraded window mechanisms, and proceeded to buy a chrome grille, and paint it.

2 weeks later, a guy ran a red light and destroyed the bed and bent the axle, so it was back to the drawing board. Got that fixed, and a month later a deer ran into the driver side and bent the door and fender. I got a door the next day, but i am not going to install it and a fender until I get rid of the Blue, lol...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
mytmouz

I have always had a LUV/Hate relationship with the truck, but since it belonged to my grand dd, I have persevered. I have bought/sold vehicles since I got my drivers license,and I have only been stranded on the side of the road 15 or 16 times I can recall. Ten of them have been in this truck, lol...

After developing a rod knock, it sat for a year, finally pulled it out and rebuilt it, and just before the first oil change the trans went out...

So out came the motor and trans and the transplant began...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
mytmouz

Ready for the transplant...

Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
mytmouz

Transplant began...

Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
mytmouz

I sold the fresh rebuild stock engine, and I bought a running 95 z71 Suburban with a bad rear for $600...

I sold the front cap to a guy, the transfer case to someone else, the trans to yet another guy, and I removed the tbi hard parts and serpentine drive set up and sold the long block and scrapped the rest...

I rebuilt stock vortec long block CL special and swapped a vortec 4 barrel intake for the vortec tbi swap intake and adapted the tbi to the vortec..

One reason was I had all of the tbi stuff, and I would not have to upgrade the stock pump to run it...

Did I mention I was cheap, lol...

Bought all the parts and had a 700r4 a friend gave me rebuilt by a friend, end result is by doing most of the work myself, I have about 80 bucks left over after selling/scrapping, lol...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
mytmouz

After figuring out the wiring, this is the end result...

Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
mytmouz

As I mentioned earlier, I have a LUV/hate relationship with the truck, plus with kids in college, work, moving, etc. Truck sat for a while, and trans stuck in low gear. Seems to move out pretty good for stock, but the guy who built the trans has had it for a few months, so no better testing has occurred (that I know)...
Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
mytmouz

Fabbed this to replace the stocker to clear the stock z71 pan...

Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
mytmouz

I removed the frame mounts from the z71, set the motor and trans in place, and tacked the frame mounts in, pulled the motor and trans out, and lded away, probably 4 hours after I pulled the stock engine out, I was through with the hard install of the replacement stuff...