Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #161
Project510
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 151
Vehicle: 1997 D21
Thanks: 134
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
If you get laid off, that will suck.

But, you can put in for unemployment, which also sucks because it is so low. And in the meantime, you will have time to work on that busted manifold.

Too bad you are in Cali, or I'd say stick a header on there.
Appreciate the concern, my office is closing but I'm simply being relocated or possibly working from home. No worries about loosing my employment. I have also been saving for just such an emergency but lets continue to hope that isn't necessary
__________________
Project510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #162
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 52
Posts: 11,247
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,596 Posts
Default

I've been working from home since December. I'm at home now, in a Zoom meeting, talking about webpage changes to a mortgage website.

It's great! I haven't filled up my tank since April 14th.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) • Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:54 AM   #163
Project510
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 151
Vehicle: 1997 D21
Thanks: 134
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I've been working from home since December. I'm at home now, in a Zoom meeting, talking about webpage changes to a mortgage website.

It's great! I haven't filled up my tank since April 14th.
Yea my wife works from home 3 days a week...

Now that the truck is coming home soon I need to get these wheels cleaned up and ready. Ive been so lazy

Before


After wet sanding 600/800/1000/1200 will go up to 2500 I guess and then bust out this Zephyr polishing kit
__________________
Project510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #164
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 52
Posts: 11,247
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,596 Posts
Default

That looks great!

I'm guessing there was a clear coat on those wheels to keep them from looking dull. Are you going to recoat them so they stay bright, or do you keep your wheels regularly polished?
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) • Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Project510 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #165
Zerksy
 
Zerksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Latta, Sc
Age: 31
Posts: 543
Vehicle: 91 D21 ka24 5speed
Thanks: 75
Thanked 94 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Those rims looks great. Would love to see those on the truck
__________________
91' D21 Single Cab ka24 5speed Daily
86.5' D21 Single Cab z24i 5 speed Project
02' Xterra 2wd 5speed - A Nissan to fill the void

Formerly Owned: 89' D21 KingCab z24i 5speed, 90' D21 KingCab ka24 5speed

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet" - General James Mattis USMC
Zerksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Project510 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #166
Project510
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 151
Vehicle: 1997 D21
Thanks: 134
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
That looks great!

I'm guessing there was a clear coat on those wheels to keep them from looking dull. Are you going to recoat them so they stay bright, or do you keep your wheels regularly polished?
After I sanded all the corrosion off, and all the scratches i could get out I was planning on polishing them. Zephyr sells this great polishing kit that will make them super shiny. But now that I see them now with this kind of matte finish... I kind of like it. Have to decide what to do.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerksy View Post
Those rims looks great. Would love to see those on the truck
Thanks! The real versions look a bit better and are a true 2 piece wheel. Just hard to find for a price I want to pay and without the need for resurfacing haha.
__________________
Project510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:49 PM   #167
jp2code
Software Developer
 
jp2code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Longview, TX [USA]
Age: 52
Posts: 11,247
Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,596 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
After I sanded all the corrosion off, and all the scratches i could get out I was planning on polishing them. Zephyr sells this great polishing kit that will make them super shiny. But now that I see them now with this kind of matte finish... I kind of like it. Have to decide what to do.
I'm certainly no expert, but I think brushed aluminum will oxidize just as much as polished aluminum.

If you want to keep that look, you might want to get some clear wheel paint (rattle can) from the local auto parts store.

If anyone on here knows more on this than me, please chime in.
__________________
Joe (not a mechanic!) • Don't have an account? EMAIL ME
Factory Service Manuals: https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Hardbody/
Walk-through: Checking Nissan Trouble Codes
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Project510 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #168
PorknBeans
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Where I can see the air I breathe...
Posts: 828
Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all
Thanks: 82
Thanked 249 Times in 208 Posts
Default

That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking, JP…

For the matte finish and corrosion protection/longevity. Clear coat the rims to keep it from being further exposed to the air.
__________________
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (05-05-2022), Project510 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:49 PM   #169
Project510
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 151
Vehicle: 1997 D21
Thanks: 134
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but I think brushed aluminum will oxidize just as much as polished aluminum.

If you want to keep that look, you might want to get some clear wheel paint (rattle can) from the local auto parts store.

If anyone on here knows more on this than me, please chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking, JP…

For the matte finish and corrosion protection/longevity. Clear coat the rims to keep it from being further exposed to the air.
Thanks you guys I will look into this. Every video I watched nobody sealed anything so I never even contemplated it after that.
__________________
Project510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (05-06-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #170
Project510
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 151
Vehicle: 1997 D21
Thanks: 134
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default

So from what I've read, it will be fine. It does require regular washing. Assuming that's to remove contaminants that would essentially hold moisture and cause rust or corrosion.

Thankfully, I live in Ca, so regular car washes should be fine.

Also, here are the results of my first crack at polishing with the zephyr polishing kit. Pretty good I think. I may have used too much compound? Ill hopefully have better results on the 2nd try.

__________________
Project510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
baggednissan (05-10-2022)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.