Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Wheels and Tires

Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody
Default Duratrac vs. KO2

Hey All!

I don't see much action about this stuff here, but maybe someone has experienced both of these tires: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and BFG All Terrain T/A KO2.

My need for new tires has been on my radar, and during the rain day I had yesterday I went and talked to the place I get tire work done at about Duratracs. I have talked to some people about these, and read a lot, and they seem like a solid tire. He talked to me about them, but also mentioned these newer BFG tires that are a new design of the plain old KO. There really is not much information on the net comparing these, but there are a lot of people asking questions.

My interest in one of these tires (or more specifically, four!) is because they are available in six ply, are of solid all terrain construction, and have the mountain/snowflake winter rating. The Duratracs have been around for a few years, and their capability in snow has been proven. The KO2s have only been out for about a year, and it seems that many sizes were not even available until after this past winter.

I think that, in general, any decent AT tire will suit my needs outside of winter, but having a tire that can perform better in snow/ice is important and desireable. I understand they will not be a snow tire; I have had snow tires in the past and know how great they can be. I am not in a position to have dedicated snow tires for this vehicle. Most of my need for that application comes from going to jobsites that will not be plowed, not to drive safely on the road (although that is nice!).

Sorry for the diatribe - I wasn't expecting to have this decision to make. The BFGs will also be on a fairly dramatic sale next week, making them about $120 cheaper out the door, but I am not going to make my decision on that alone if I don't have to.

Opinions?

James
Several 2 wheeled things

highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Tough call, both are great tires. But if push comes to shove I would splurge for the Duratracs, they really are something else.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
1990nissanhardbody
The emergency service hb

Vehicle: 1990 and 1989 Hardbody 4x4s!

Ive got Wild Country XTXs right now. So far im happy with them.

2003 Subaru Forester- the other DD--200K miles!!!
1990 Nissan Hardbody-the DD
1985 Dodge Ram W100 4X4- scrapped
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Sold
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-traded
12/85 2wd D21
11/85 4wd D21 #509-traded
1996 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4-traded
1989 SE-V6 4x4 D21- soon to be 350 swapped!!!
1990nissanhardbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
87kingcab
Canada EH?

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan D21 Hardbody Kingcab SE V6 4X4

Go with the duratracs, I have had them on both of my trucks and love them. I see about 12-15 trucks daily with duratracs. Wild country XTX's aren't even in the same ballpark. No comparison.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
highest_vision

Thanks for the opinions! I have never seen any of these tires outside of that shop. Many people around here buy whatever is cheap and then complain next year about having bald tires or not getting any traction in the snow...

Do y'all think that you see more Duratracs because they have been around longer, or because they are a superior tire (both I guess!)? I guess you might not know.

Those Wild Country tires are nice I am sure, but they are only available in standard load. They do have the mountain/snowflake rating, I see, but they really would not work for me.
Several 2 wheeled things

Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
rkyclrk

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

I had a set of duratracs on my truck for about a month and just yesterday traded them for a car and a set of used tires. I didn't hate them but they didn't make an impression negitive or positive. If I buy new tires again I will probably go with something different. I went in looking for the bfgoodrich but they didn't have the size I wanted and the duratracks were the only other off road tire they had in my price range. They have a softer sidewall then my old bfg's and do not look nearly as aggressive. The looks are pretty much my only real gripe, they look like they belong on an expidition or other large suv that never sees action. I live in southern Arizona so I didn't find out how they do in the snow.
rkyclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Alexg89

Vehicle: 1995 hardbody ext cab ka 2wd 1998 Frontier ext ka 4wd 2007 D40 CC 4wd w/2in leveling kit

I have heard good and bad about both .. each his own really.. being you are looking for more of an A/T id steer at the Duratrac .. i personally have had the BFG A/Ts before and they were great but chopped horribly.. currently i have Hercules Trial Diggers on my Frontier and as they look pretty aggressive it is a tight patteren and they are Fairly quiet on the highway.. Plus they are pined for studs if it were to come to that.
Alexg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #8
highest_vision

Well I got Duratracs put on today. I haven;t really driven much, just a little bit in town. The previous tires were oversized so any direct comparison for me there will be difficult. They are much quieter, though! I suspect that they will show me some things I haven't ever picked up on though. I am concerned about a vibe I am only noticing in 5th gear...

For what it is worth, these tires, while more expensive than the KO2s, have more tread depth when new, and are marketed as more of a commercial tire (by Goodyear). I don't know if that will translate into anything tangible. I had to put a plug in one of my (old) tires last night because I picked up a linchpin at my friend's farm. While getting tires for his hardbody...

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to provide meaningful feedback over time regarding these tires and my use of them!

James
Several 2 wheeled things

Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
highest_vision

I wanted to add a little bit to this as some initial feedback.

All the tires took an absurd amount of weight to balance. You know the really long, four inch or so weights? Three of the tires have two of them, one only has one. I am hoping that they weren't balanced correctly because i have a mad vibe at 50-55, shaking the steering wheel back and forth. I have had multiple sets of tires and alignments done at the place that did these and never had a problem though.

Aside from this, the tires are really quiet, sure footed in a few inches of water at medium (35-45mph) speeds, and kept my out of a creek on a spot of black ice in a curve. I slid some, but was able to maintain some directional control and stability by simply letting off the throttle. I have read that they can hold gravel; that has not been my experience.
Several 2 wheeled things

Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 AM   #10
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Most aggressive ATs will hold and throw gravel. My old KOs hold absurd amounts of rocks!

I would have said to go for the KO2s but I have looked at the Duratracks! Keep us posted on how they do. When I eventually move back home Ill need a new set of winter tires.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote