Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #20791
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

I had to go to California to find those bits. Nothing in NY that isn't a rusted pile.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #20792
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

Washed off all the damn road salt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.62 MB, 13 views)
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #20793
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

djs I love the color of your truck!
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
djs (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 AM   #20794
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

That is one straight Nissan for sure, djs. And once you go king cab, it is hard to go back to a regular cab.

What I did on the Teal Terror today: Tightened all the belts, cleaned battery connections, and installed the new headlights.

New headlights means THESE housings and THESE bulbs for them. It's still daylight here, so pictures are useless until later. I can tell you the front lights are definitely brighter and whiter. And I still think those new housings for those Osram bulbs are definitely worth the measly 23 bucks I spent on them. Since these housings are basically a front glass plate installed onto an all-steel box, I laid a line of white silicone around the edge of the glass where it meets the metal, so it won't come loose later or leak. Once I put the retainers and the grill back on, you couldn't even see it.

I recommend that if you decide to ditch your sealed beams, this setup works for cheap. Total was 46 bucks, with the Osram bulbs. That isn't much less than a new set of Sylvania sealed beams. And then you no longer have to pull off your grill to change a headlight....

Can't wait to check them out on the road when it gets dark later.

Next project on the Big Lighting Upgrade is to hook up the Hella 500FF off road lights I already mounted on the bumper. Then...the four side marker lights to install. LED. Last thing is to switch out pretty much all the lights except the headlights over to LED. Already finished instrument panel switch out and a few others.

They don't use salt much out west on the roads. Sand is the deal here. I think if they proposed using salt, all the voters would round up the politicians and throw them into the Pacific Ocean. Everyone here hates the idea of salting roads. Some banks do it in parking lots, and a few stores, but that's pretty much it.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
djs (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 AM   #20795
Foul_Mouth
Pounding Rox Truck

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Engine has shipped!!!

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (01-15-2020), XoXSciFiGuy (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:19 AM   #20796
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post

They don't use salt much out west on the roads. Sand is the deal here. I think if they proposed using salt, all the voters would round up the politicians and throw them into the Pacific Ocean. Everyone here hates the idea of salting roads. Some banks do it in parking lots, and a few stores, but that's pretty much it.
It's nice to live where rust is that brown stuff that forms on your exhaust after 20 years. I've heard it's worse along the coast but I have yet to see anything beyond a little surface rust. I think the paint gets it worse than anything, although I still wouldn't buy a car from the coast.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:22 AM   #20797
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

They got me with the head fake. No plugs, still waiting, lol, forgot i ordered them from a different site when i saw the boxes.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:39 AM   #20798
djs

Vehicle: 1995 2wd hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
That is one straight Nissan for sure, djs. And once you go king cab, it is hard to go back to a regular cab.

What I did on the Teal Terror today: Tightened all the belts, cleaned battery connections, and installed the new headlights.

New headlights means THESE housings and THESE bulbs for them. It's still daylight here, so pictures are useless until later. I can tell you the front lights are definitely brighter and whiter. And I still think those new housings for those Osram bulbs are definitely worth the measly 23 bucks I spent on them. Since these housings are basically a front glass plate installed onto an all-steel box, I laid a line of white silicone around the edge of the glass where it meets the metal, so it won't come loose later or leak. Once I put the retainers and the grill back on, you couldn't even see it.

I recommend that if you decide to ditch your sealed beams, this setup works for cheap. Total was 46 bucks, with the Osram bulbs. That isn't much less than a new set of Sylvania sealed beams. And then you no longer have to pull off your grill to change a headlight....

Can't wait to check them out on the road when it gets dark later.

Next project on the Big Lighting Upgrade is to hook up the Hella 500FF off road lights I already mounted on the bumper. Then...the four side marker lights to install. LED. Last thing is to switch out pretty much all the lights except the headlights over to LED. Already finished instrument panel switch out and a few others.

No salt!? Dang. That's great. It really does f up cars for sure.
Those lights look cool. I put the Hella e-codes on mine with 55/60 xenon bulbs. They are perfect. I really like them. They cost just over 100.00, so you got a screaming deal on what you got.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #20799
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
It's nice to live where rust is that brown stuff that forms on your exhaust after 20 years. I've heard it's worse along the coast but I have yet to see anything beyond a little surface rust. I think the paint gets it worse than anything, although I still wouldn't buy a car from the coast.

At my parents place in central OR we can stick metal outside and brush the rust off with a glove a couple years later. My truck had zero rust until Mississippi. Now I got a little surface rust in the bed. Those spots were worn bare probably a decade ago. It's so dry we found a freeze dried squirrel in a bird house one year. This side of the mountains are crazy humid! I miss the snow and hate rain!

A coworker of mine is from coos Bay. He says everything turns into a pile of rust there. He has a Cummins swapped blazer he says is only good for the power train as the body has almost completely rusted away. I won't drive my vehicles to the coast. Hell no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
No salt!? Dang. That's great. It really does f up cars for sure.
Those lights look cool. I put the Hella e-codes on mine with 55/60 xenon bulbs. They are perfect. I really like them. They cost just over 100.00, so you got a screaming deal on what you got.

Salt? We don't use no stinkin salt! We use crushed up lava rock. Salt rusts you out. Lava rock make the front of your car look like it has been to battle. Pick your poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth View Post
Engine has shipped!!!

Hopefully it goes out HW138 which is closed due to snow and fallen trees so maybe I can quickly swap it out with my motor!
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Foul_Mouth (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #20800
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

djs says in part:
Quote:
"I put the Hella e-codes on mine with 55/60 xenon bulbs. They are perfect. I really like them. They cost just over 100.00, so you got a screaming deal on what you got."
You mean for your headlights? Those e-code headlights? Yeah, I looked at those housings at Amazon. I just couldn't afford them at the time, so I went with the cheaper deal. Turned out great, but if I would have had the money, I would have gone the Hella route for sure.

LOL...I blew all my Hella money at Christmas on the 500 FF lights.

Deerhurst says in part:
Quote:
"Hopefully it goes out HW138 which is closed due to snow and fallen trees so maybe I can quickly swap it out with my motor!"
Don't forget your cherry picker.

I have decided NOT to drill into the body of the truck to mount THESE side marker lights. Two are amber, two are red. I decided to mount them on the canopy with the two amber lights on the side of the canopy near the front, and the same with the two red, but in the back. Mounted on the sides of the canopy in the corners, up high. I will tap into the hot and ground leads on each side from the taillight circuit. I just couldn't bring myself to put holes in the truck for this one.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 01-15-2020 at 10:20 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote