Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
Ptorres

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986
Question 1986 d21 cuts out at 2000-2500 rpm idles smoothly.

Hello. I just purchased my first hardbody pickup. It has the z24i. It was very cheap however it has an issue with it cutting out when the engine is around 2500 3000 rpm (truck is base so no tach). I pulled a plug and it looked like the truck was running lean. I can hear the fuel pump prime I replaced the fuel filter, truck has new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I checked timing I also made sure the oil pump shaft was correct everything checked out well. Truck is currently at 5 btdc. Truck doesnt over heat. The gauge actually goes up 1/8 of the way however it's enough to blow hot air from the vents. No smoke from exhuast. I checked for vac leaks and found the TBI bottom hose was cracked replaced it but made no difference. The last thing I did was with the engine running I pulled the air cleaner off truck started to stumble a bit my guess is this is normal. However I'm not really sure. I blew on the air temperature switch and the truck just died. Could this be the issue? I have read alot of simular problems with d21 with this engine configuration however never any fix. I would definitely love to figure this one out. Truck rides so smooth and has a clean interior I really like it I just want to make it run correct. Any help is appreciated thank you!

Last edited by Ptorres; 01-12-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Ptorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
Ptorres

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986

Update: I checked compression 180 175 180 175. Everything looks good there. I have found a parts truck. I will start to flip parts around and see what fixes it. Will update when I find the solution to the problem.
Ptorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Dtgorrell

Vehicle: 1995 nissan xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptorres View Post
Hello. I just purchased my first hardbody pickup. It has the z24i. It was very cheap however it has an issue with it cutting out when the engine is around 2500 3000 rpm (truck is base so no tach). I pulled a plug and it looked like the truck was running lean. I can hear the fuel pump prime I replaced the fuel filter, truck has new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I checked timing I also made sure the oil pump shaft was correct everything checked out well. Truck is currently at 5 btdc. Truck doesnt over heat. The gauge actually goes up 1/8 of the way however it's enough to blow hot air from the vents. No smoke from exhuast. I checked for vac leaks and found the TBI bottom hose was cracked replaced it but made no difference. The last thing I did was with the engine running I pulled the air cleaner off truck started to stumble a bit my guess is this is normal. However I'm not really sure. I blew on the air temperature switch and the truck just died. Could this be the issue? I have read alot of simular problems with d21 with this engine configuration however never any fix. I would definitely love to figure this one out. Truck rides so smooth and has a clean interior I really like it I just want to make it run correct. Any help is appreciated thank you!
Try the mass air flow sensor. Should be in line between the air filter box and intake manifold. I had an 89 with a the same issue. I bought a can of maf sensor cleaner and cleaned it per directions on the can. It helped it alot. Didn't completely fix it but it was a rough work truck and I didn't wanna spend the money on a new sensor. So I just cleaned it periodically. Be very careful not to damage the filaments on it when you remove it, try not to even touch them. Hope this helps
Dtgorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,039 Posts

Have you checked for any stored trouble codes?
Deerhurst (01-18-2020)