Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
AWD_D21

Vehicle: 1997 D21 Singlecab 2wd
Default Prius Power Steering Upgrade

I should preface this by saying this is my first official post on here so please bear with me as I figure this stuff out lol. The pictures can be found on Facebook on the infamous page. I'll alos add them to my album. I'll have other pictures from the process as well that aren't on Facebook.

The following write up is what I did to do the complete prius power steering swap in my stock 97 2wd single cab that had no power steering.

What you need:
-First Gen Prius EPS column nad computer with all connectors (sourced mine from a junk yard for $75)
-95/96/97 2 piece 'collapsable' column
- 4' 8awg red and black wire, 4' 20awg wire, 60amp fusible link
- Steering Coupler, Steel, 11/16 in. 36-Spline, 3/4 in. Smooth Bore - $20
- access to lathe and welder to make it easier, metal saw of some kind, I used a grinder and hacksaw.
- Hotrod.com Prius EPS article: [https://www.hotrod.com/articles/150-...rius-delivers/)

*Please note, I am not going to include measurements as each truck is going to be a little unique. This will work best for those already with manual steering. This only requires 3 wires to connect the truck electrically.*

To start, I cut off the pivot point that sits at the end of the Prius column so that I could get the steering shaft that connects to the motor out. Be careful to not cut the the shaft inside the sleeve, and cut the sleeve as close to the pivot as possible. Next, pull apart the Nissan column. To do this clamp the lower piece that connect to the firewall in a vice and use a dead blow hammer on the t-bracket on the upper portion to separate them. you will have to remove the nut at the top of the column. When the column is separated, there should be a plastic piece that connects the two halves of the column, this piece is crucial for connecting the upper part of the column to the EPS motor. After everything is separated, mock up the column without the shaft inside as you need to make a custom steering shaft for everything to work properly. Once you have the column mocked up with final measurements and have the motor sitting where you'd like, be sure to mark two spots to take measurements from so that you can make consistent measurements. To make my steering shaft, I turned the Prius shaft inside diameter up a bit, and I turned the Nissan shaft down a bit so that they fit together. Once measurements were checked, the shafts were welded together and the column reassembled for the final time. At the back of the motor, this is where the coupler comes into play. To start, I cut the bottom of the Nissan column just above the bearing at the bottom of the shaft. This allowed me to mock up the column in place. On the back of the motor, be careful to take care of the splines on the back of the motor as the coupler is tight and you don't want to ruin the coupler or the the motor splines. To make the bottom end of the steering shaft, I again used a lathe, to turn down about 3/4" of the smooth end of the coupler until it fit into the left over piece of the Nissan steering shaft that had the u-joint on it. As you can see in the engine bay pictures below, the steering shaft looks stock and connect the way Nissan intended. Again, finalize measurements and cuts, then weld them together. The last thing you'll have to do to the truck is clearance the brake pedal so that is doesn't hit the side of the motor and then make sure it clears the clutch. I used a torch to bend the brake pedal the way I needed to. For the wiring, it is really simple. Using a wiring diagram from Hotrod.com's own writeup on this swap, I added the wire where I needed. For the power wire, I spliced into the wire going into the fuse panel. This probably isn't the most opportune place to go, but it works. The power wire also receives the 60amp fusible link before being tied into the power wire that goes into the computer. The ground wire just needs to be ground to the body somewhere. I used the crossbar under the steering assembly that protects your legs if the steering shaft falls. This is also the same place I mounted the prius computer as it just fits like it was designed to. The next wire that needed to be used was the power signal wire. Since I'm not using an airbag anymore, I "spliced" into that fuse since it only powers on with ignition. This swap is great because it only requires three wires to work. If you wanted to wire it to rear the speed sensor on our truck, that would get it out of safe mode, but I don't think you really need to yet. I'm running 255/35/18 on the front and it turns the tires great even with them probably being low on air. If you have any questions, you can DM me or ask away in the comments!! Hope you guys enjoy!
AWD_D21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Philbert

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1997

Damm Hotrod must have moved that link it went 404.

However is you do a search for Prius on the site you will find it.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Philbert

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1997

The link when 404 on me.

However if you do a search on the site for Prius it will come up.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote