Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #11
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I think my lowers are completely different. They bolt to the LCA. Repacking the wheel bearings is a PITA. Might as well replace the brake rotors while you are in there as you'll have them off anyways to get to the bearings.
VG33i
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 AM   #12
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

You are right, both are the bolt-on type which means that you don't need any special tools. Even better. Maybe a pickle fork for getting them unstuck from the knuckle. They look very similar to those on the old T100 we have at work. I replaced a busted CV shaft on that truck not long ago and it was a super easy job.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:43 AM   #13
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

I'll talk to a guy at work. He is waiting on parts for his lift right now. Super cool old hot rodder. He is building a 292 inline 6 for an old Chevy pickup right now with plans of turboing it. Thats his idea of a daily driver.

I lack pickle fork too. I assume the ball socket will need to be replaced too.
VG33i
Old 03-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #14
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

I'm afraid I don't follow...the socket and joint should be part of the same assembly. You should just be able to unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in.
Thanked by:
Deerhurst (03-07-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #15
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I figure this probably deserves its own thread instead of cluttering up the other one. Anyways, the title should be pretty self-explanatory.

Who: anyone who's interested. I can't imagine we'll have a huge turnout, but you never know.

When: To be determined. I'm thinking late spring-early summer. 3 nights is a pretty good time frame, that way it's worthwhile for those coming down from WA (been there, done that). Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see another record-breaking fire season this year, something to keep in mind.

Where: Western OR - probably in one of the national forests but BLM land is also an option. Ideas are welcome here.

I've got pretty much all the basics like a big folding table, tarps for shade/rain protection, camp stove, grill, cooking utensils, etc. You'll want to bring your own tent, sleeping bag, folding chair, food, beer, and whatever other substances you wish to indulge in (please no hard stuff though). You'll also need a way to securely lock up all the food and trash at the end of the day, locking in your vehicle should be fine.
Yeah...I am in for this trip for sure. I live just south of Seattle, but I've gone down to Oregon lots of times. I have the usual gear, plus some extras. (Us old people need these things for comfort LOL)

Very large and tall shower tent with steel frame. Will hold up that five gallon shower bag easy. Also have five gallon portable flush toilet.

Small gas generator. Still gets about 1,600 watts even after I lay out the 150' of extension cord to keep the noise out of the campsite. If you run it out that far from the campsite and drop it behind a log, you can't even hear it at night.

Deep cycle battery, 110 amp hours, will run a fridge for three hours, but I use it for the smaller draw stuff like if you bring your laptop, or want to charge your phone or something. Or the portable stereo.

120 inch screen and LED projector. Plays any media except DVD and for that I just connect it to a DVD player. I usually bring a 32 inch Samsung TV, believe it or not. Bring your game system and I can power it no problem. The power strip I use off the generator has high joules so it won't blow your delicate electronics. When we did the July trip last year, someone brought their gaming system along and we plugged it into the projector and did big screen gaming at night.

Other stuff: Extreme First Aid and Med Kit, Frontiersman bear spray, AC inverter for the deep cycle battery power, several REALLY BIG tarps for day shelter, long table like the high school gyms use, power strip with high joules and two USB charging ports, a tent so big you can stand up in it and walk around without stooping but I would lend that out because I sleep in the back of my truck under the canopy. I dunno...other stuff. For propane I bring a five gallon tank with an adapter so you can use it on almost anything without buying those stupid little green cans.

It's a big list. Someone should bring a propane BBQ though. Mine is too big to pack.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 116,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 AM   #16
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Hey Scifi,

I was wondering when you'd join in. That sounds good, I don't know when it will be yet but it's happening...eventually lol. As it turns out I actually have 2 grills I could bring, one is an old-school charcoal and the other is propane. I think we'll end up with a lot of duplicates since I've got a lot of the same stuff. Forgot to mention earlier...I can bring about 20 gallons of drinking water. That should last everyone so long as we're not wasteful. I've got a couple propane tanks with a bunch of hoses and adaptors, so we should be covered there.

I also bring a jumper box in the event of a dead battery. Hasn't happened yet but you never know.

Also, if you know any good spots in OR please feel free to chime in. Same goes for you Deerhurst. From the looks of it we're going to need a pretty good-sized spot for this outing.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #17
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

I don't know much on this side of the mountains. I probably won't be able to stay long but hopefully at least a good full day.
VG33i
Thanked by:
Wersh (03-11-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Hey Scifi,

I was wondering when you'd join in. That sounds good, I don't know when it will be yet but it's happening...eventually lol. As it turns out I actually have 2 grills I could bring, one is an old-school charcoal and the other is propane. I think we'll end up with a lot of duplicates since I've got a lot of the same stuff. Forgot to mention earlier...I can bring about 20 gallons of drinking water. That should last everyone so long as we're not wasteful. I've got a couple propane tanks with a bunch of hoses and adaptors, so we should be covered there.

I also bring a jumper box in the event of a dead battery. Hasn't happened yet but you never know.

Also, if you know any good spots in OR please feel free to chime in. Same goes for you Deerhurst. From the looks of it we're going to need a pretty good-sized spot for this outing.
For drinking water, the best thing I've found is just to buy a couple of cases of cheap bottled water from Fred Meyers. For washing or showers, I have a five gallon container with a spigot and a smaller Coleman one. Probably don't need to haul twenty gallons for a two-three day trip. Ten plus what I would bring should do it. The biggest things to bring are YOUR CHAIR, good warm bedding, your favorite food, and a solid shelter to sleep. If you have a propane BBQ that is a definite bring-along. I wouldn't bother with the charcoal BBQ because you can always do fire coal cooking instead.

If you have favorite tunes, load them onto a USB flash drive. My portable stereo has a USB input. For movies, bring your favorite DVD's. If you want to do video games at night, I can run them on the LED projector with the ten foot screen, or we can run them through the Samsung TV. People laugh at me doing that, but having stuff to do after it gets dark is always cool.

Deerhurst should let us know WHERE he lives in Oregon. (Maybe PM) And I will start looking for spots. I already know where you live, SBJ. Need someplace remote, private, and not too hard to reach. I will give anyone coming along my cell phone number so you can call me on the way there.

I also bring a really extensive medical kit that includes the usual over the counter meds like Tums, Zantac, pain killers, and the like. Over the years I have weeded out what isn't needed with the stuff that IS. Generally, it's a long way to the store. I make jokes about all this sometimes, but the truth is that when I have sponsored group campouts you have to be ready for anything. I also try to pick spots where cell signal is solid even in the middle of nowhere. They have really good coverage maps now.

Just don't forget to bring a chair to sit on. Believe it or not, it's the one thing people sometimes forget. And I don't bring extra chairs. If a battery goes dead, you can charge it from the 12V outlet on the generator. It's what I use to charge up the deep cycle battery for the smaller draw stuff. As far as running sensitive electronics like your laptop or gaming system, I have a power strip with a high joule rating that also has two USB charging ports. That's for the generator. And a 750 watt inverter for use with the deep cycle. Power like your house, basically, any format.

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but if you have cell access, even in the wilderness, you can actually 'tether' your smartphone to a laptop and get internet. For info on this, just Google 'tethering your smartphone to a laptop'. Probably can't do online gaming at that speed, but Facebook posts are definitely possible. Just make sure you have a good data plan.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 116,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 03-13-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:06 AM   #19
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Propane it is then. LOL today at work everyone was talking about the various camping trips they go on (backpacking) and how great it is to stop off at a fast food joint and eat a burger after several days in the woods. I didn't have the heart to say that I bring a grill and a bunch of food and that's what I do while I'm out camping. The munchies don't cure themselves unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I've gone out backpacking a couple times and it's quite the experience but it's also way too much work for my lazy ass.

Also, no reception at either of the spots I've been to since moving down here. That's how you know you are far enough out in the woods. I usually turn the phone off so it doesn't kill the battery looking for service, but an exception to that would make sense here.

I should add: I also carry a first aid kit with the camping gear and one in each of my vehicles. Hopefully we won't need it. Don't ask me about my First Aid/CPR certifications, they expired at least a decade ago. I too am big on PPE and am happy to bring eye and ear protection for shooting/using the chainsaw if it hasn't been mentioned already. That and a sturdy pair of boots are a must. A chainsaw chain will cut through a regular pair of sneakers in the blink of an eye. They are just generic safety glasses and hearing protectors, I don't know if there are specific ones that are supposed to be used for shooting.

Also, fishing. If the spot we choose happens to be close to a lake or river I've got some gear I am happy to share. I've got 2 trout/bass poles and a fly rod, plus a decently stocked tacklebox. It's been a few years since the last time I went fishing and even longer since I actually caught anything lol.

Last edited by SBJ; 03-14-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Thanked by:
Wersh (03-15-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
XoXSciFiGuy

Well, I got back from last weekend's trip and everything checked out fine. I actually took TOO much gear. It was a little ridiculous. The cell service thing doesn't matter. I ran the generator out almost 200 feet and you could not even hear it, even at night. Fishing sounds good, I would have to get a temp license from State of Oregon but that's cool.

Some people were shooting off this 22 a ways off and down by the creek, which is a no-no here. (no shooting across roads, bodies of water, or within 1000 feet of organized campgrounds is the law for Forest Service) We took that SKS and blasted off 30 fast rounds into a tree stump. 22 went away LOL. Then we went back to watching our movie.

EDIT: Movie that was interrupted was Sahara, the 1942 flick with Humphrey Bogart. Bogie and his tank crew try to hold off an entire German battalion in the North African desert. They're parked at the only well for a hundred miles, and the Germans are literally dying of thirst. It's mainly a version of The Alamo. In a scene where the tank won't start, Bogie takes over. He says this:

"Let me in there. You ain't feedin' her enough. She's like a dame. You don't feed 'em, they won't do nothin'..."

Good movie. You couldn't get away with a line like that today.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 03-20-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Closed Thread