Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #31
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Just a thought. If you're going to remove the flywheel it would be a good idea to replace the rear main oil seal. They are prone to leaking on older engines and may very well be the cause of a greasy bellhousing.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:19 AM   #32
essaysee

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1996

Quote:
TIP: Pour 2L of gear out in through the shifter hole before you put the shifter back in.
Did the original poster mean to say oil? And just to clarify, is it really safe to pour the GL-4 gear oil into the hole where the stick shift was?

I currently have everything back together. I have yet to add the oil that drained out when I pulled the propeller shaft out of the rear of the transmission.

I called the nissan dealer serviced department today and they confirmed the fluid that leaked out was gear oil. I've seen other videos where people remove a bolt in order to fill the gear oil in a transmission but this method of pouring the gear oil into the stick shift hole seems too too too convenient... Can anyone confirm this?
essaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #33
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by essaysee View Post
And just to clarify, is it really safe to pour the GL-4 gear oil into the hole where the stick shift was?
By far the easiest way to do it. It might help to have a friend get under the truck and take the fill plug out (17mm open-end wrench). Pour fluid in through the shifter hole until it starts coming out of the fill plug then tighten it back up. You might also want to overfill it a bit - the input shaft bearings are known to be poorly lubricated on these transmissions and a little extra gear oil might help prolong its life. I think I overfilled mine by about half a quart. I use redline MT-90 and it's good stuff.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #34
estetic
ADMIN

Vehicle: 91 HB

^-- fill till it comes out the plug then add another 1/2 quart or so.
Thanked by:
Drewbydruu (07-01-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #35
Drewbydruu

Vehicle: Nissan D21 Hardbody Pickup 1989

I used a 14mm socket, next a swivel socket, next about 18" extension. And getting your wrench in the right place is key.
Drewbydruu is offline   Reply With Quote