Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-30-2019, 01:07 AM   #19951
Wersh
Phone Repair Tech

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
That's cool that your folks wrench on cars with you though. My family hates that I wrench on cars while simultaneously neglecting theirs to the point of failure...
Pathfinder I bought but my dad paid for the top end rebuild and did the work, so itís a 40-60 mix right now on whoís it is
He calls my truck the Piece of Shit and I tell him thatís why it gives me problems. I baby my truck.
Only time I can get him to work for free on my rides if he knows it wonít leave the driveway
Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #19952
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I'm pretty sure the only way my Dad's vehicle goes to a shop is on the back of a tow truck lol. There are legit oil leaks and other stuff that I first pointed out 4 years ago. Still leaking. But I'll screw it up if I need with it. I'm allowed to change the oil but that's it lol.

My dad does a good job on his rigs. He's been doing it for a lot longer than I have but we have preferences that doesn't really make us work well together on our rigs. He likes to plan as he goes and stretch it out. I like to plan everything out in advance and go till it's done without stopping. I don't mind making a mess sometimes but I'm generally compulsively cleaning as I go. My dad, not so much. He doesn't like making a mess but isn't as OCD about cleaning as he goes. Both of us prefer to do it right but he is a little more willing to macgyver it a bit. I won't macgyver anything.

We ask each other for advice and info on things we are stuck on. I make tools when I don't have one which is Handy for both of us.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Wersh (07-30-2019), XoXSciFiGuy (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:14 AM   #19953
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

My best friend Ronnie and I used to do the craziest things to any Nissan/Datsun we could get our hands on back in the 80s. I watched him put a Dodge Van auto transmission on its tail in his shop and install a rebuild kit into it while he stood there talking to me. Just kept tossing the pieces onto a big bench and yakking along. He was a BIG guy, if you get my meaning. Large. Not fast. But if he got hold of you...well, forgettaboutit.

Forty five minutes later, we installed this tranny into my van. (Yea...I fell for the van craze of the 70s-80s for a while and Dodge's were crap) The tranny worked like new. Ronnie had natural talent. Anything I learned about fixing cars I learned from him.

I plan out the work, too. I don't mind making a mess, but clean up real good when I am finished. The biggest thing I do, if you can call it that, is to keep up maintenance faithfully and fix small problems before they get to be bigger ones. Any mods I do are planned out well in advance, even small modifications. For example, I've been considering bypassing my clutch damper for a year now LOL. Still haven't decided.

I thought I would do it...but then someone said the reason Nissan did that was to take strain off the driveline or something. So there is that to consider...for another year. I have decided to do KYB shocks and four amber side marker lights though.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 07-30-2019 at 03:20 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:42 AM   #19954
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

The damper is there to make it smoother and easier to drive. Mine was disintegrating and it took out my slave and master when I broke the lines. My brake fluid was black and greasy.

I have the advantage of memory for most things. If I do it once I've usually got it memorized. I was told today that I would be an uncanny witness because of the details I remember. That was while we were looking at restaurants in Wilsonville and I pointed out where I parked and what cars and how many occupants of what ages were parked around me last time I was there. I can blow apart mechanical things in my head and pick out parts and pieces I am interested in. It's really handy when fixing things especially when I've only seen a schematic. That why I like to plan things out in advance. If it makes it to long term memory it'll be stuck there for eternity. Lots of things don't make it there.

Long term memory is decent. Short term is trash. Absolutely useless. If I had to rely on that only I'd never remember to put pants on in the morning. It makes a goldfish look good.

I got a buddy like you Ronnie buddy. My buddy is ex military, ex firefighter, ex first responder, ex parametric. Good guy, strong as a bulldozer if he is on his feet. If you get him on the ground he is done. Serious spinal trauma. I believe he said he is now about 4 inches shorter than he used to be. Absolutely shattered his spine in a huge fall fighting a fire.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #19955
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
My dad does a good job on his rigs. He's been doing it for a lot longer than I have but we have preferences that doesn't really make us work well together on our rigs. He likes to plan as he goes and stretch it out. I like to plan everything out in advance and go till it's done without stopping. I don't mind making a mess sometimes but I'm generally compulsively cleaning as I go. My dad, not so much. He doesn't like making a mess but isn't as OCD about cleaning as he goes. Both of us prefer to do it right but he is a little more willing to macgyver it a bit. I won't macgyver anything.

We ask each other for advice and info on things we are stuck on. I make tools when I don't have one which is Handy for both of us.
That's pretty cool. I'm the only person in my family that turns wrenches or has any interest in it. In a lot of ways I find it strangely therapeutic. I always do my homework first and try and source all the parts I think I will need for a job. Of course that's never exactly how it pans out. Same for special tools, provided they aren't outrageous or anything. Luckily I don't work on too many things that require those, but I've been known to make tools before. They aren't pretty or refined but they work. For the most part lol. As for the mess...I usually put a lot of cardboard down and dawn a set of coveralls if it's really messy. In a previous life I was a janitor and one of my jobs is at a farm so not a whole lot phases me anymore. I'll take oil and dirt over shit and puke any day.

I like to do things right the first time around but I'll also Macgyver something if it gets me out a jam. Then go back and fix it right later on. Funny story...several years ago I was a dipshit and my wrench slipped while trying to remove the O2 sensor on my Honda. The pipe I was using for leverage also busted a hole in the water outlet so it was like a squirt gun anytime the engine was running. Of course the part wasn't available anywhere and I couldn't get the time off work to go to the junkyard. So I took it off the car and put a huge glob of epoxy over the hole then let it sit in the sun all day before reinstalling. That repair far exceeded my expectations and still wasn't leaking 4 months later when I finally had the time for a junkyard run.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #19956
XoXSciFiGuy

In my fixing-up career it hasn't always been Mr Perfect. One time I had to switch out the transaxle on an old VW bus. I broke two breaker bars and a long half-inch drive removing the axle nuts...until someone came along and told me the axle nuts on VW buses were reverse-threaded...

But the REALLY bad part was that the VW had no reverse gear. So I finally get the junkyard one in there (90 day guarantee!) and IT had no first gear. I sold the VW to the junkyard and never bought another Volkswagen product.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
Thanked by:
Wersh (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #19957
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

The FM took me, my wife, and my bikes to the Tail of the Dragon in Deal's Gap, North Carolina this past weekend.

Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Deerhurst (07-30-2019), estetic (07-30-2019), Midnight Tech (07-30-2019), Mossback (08-01-2019), XoXSciFiGuy (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 05:15 AM   #19958
Mazdaspeed6

Vehicle: 1997 base model Hardbody

Drove it twice now in yhw last two weeks, made the mazda the daily for two weeks after I got it back on the road after about 8 months
Mazdaspeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #19959
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
The FM took me, my wife, and my bikes to the Tail of the Dragon in Deal's Gap, North Carolina this past weekend.

Every time I see the Flaming Marshmallow, I think of that bit from the movie. You know the one.

Quote:
"We're not worthy...we're not worthy..."

Hell, I read the whole story about how the Marshmallow came to be. Took like an hour but I couldn't stop going to the next page.

Sure, you can restore a D21 to showroom condition if you have the will and enough money to do it. But it takes something special to create a rig like the Marshmallow. It's in a class by itself.

In my humble opinion, there is just nothing like it. For those of you who haven't heard of the Marshmallow, it's a long story but I will tell you this much: It's Chevy V-8 powered. Enough said.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #19960
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

I gotta ask...what line? what movie? V-8 huh, that answers the question I had about The Flaming MarshMellow's weight to power ratio. Musta been a hellacious conversion project. It takes real dedication to engineer and implement such a plan. I think Dr. Frankenstien would have been impressed. Wondering abour wheel tucked under the FM's tush? Whats dat?
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote