Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
CarolinaBirdDog

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Pickup 2.4 4x4
Default EVAP/CEL/low mpg'S

Have spent the last couple of hours researching this forum reading code (p0440) break down, CEL probs (which mine is on) as well as, low mpg threads etc.etc......(too many ifs) My question is this; Would error code P0440, EVAP, lead me to have low 11 MPGS?

I have the maint manuals on how to diagnose & fix the entire EVAP system, going to be working on it here this week.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
CarolinaBirdDog

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5G...ew?usp=sharing

Let me know if you cant see this, or if you want a copy for your use. Specify EXcel or Adobe....
Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
Outlawjoseywales

Vehicle: 1997 nissan d21 hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBirdDog View Post
Have spent the last couple of hours researching this forum reading code (p0440) break down, CEL probs (which mine is on) as well as, low mpg threads etc.etc......(too many ifs) My question is this; Would error code P0440, EVAP, lead me to have low 11 MPGS?

I have the maint manuals on how to diagnose & fix the entire EVAP system, going to be working on it here this week.

What do you guys think?
This may or may not be part of your problem: I got that code for a while, but since I had a much more pressing problem-failure of #3 fuel injector, I put it on the backburner. Once I got that done, I went on to my rear O2 sensor.

One of the things I was told here needed to be done was replace both of my O2 sensors. The front one wasn't easy, but the back one was crazy hard to do, but I finally got it done. Hint: buy the removal tool kit, my big mistake not doing that, it was worth my time to spend the money to get it.

OK, got it replaced and ran down to Autozone to run the codes thinking that I would NOW get a chance to work on the 0440 code that had come up so many times.

To my surprise I didn't have ANY codes nor lights on my dash once I replaced the rear O2 sensor. Like I said, this might be your problem or not, but it seemed to change everything for mine. (knock on wood and whistle past the graveyard)
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 AM   #4
CarolinaBirdDog

ok, appreciate it, When I was registering it in october I had cat replaced and I know that at least one of them replaced for inspection reasoning, at the time I had two codes, 0442, and this one 0440, a week or so later CEL back on, now I only get one of the codes.

Whats funny is, when I have the hood open I can smell fuel just after I start it but dont see any leaks. im thinking that there must be a vacuum leak or a leak in the EVAP system, wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing....And with the low MPG wanted some expertise. I have done a total tune up with the exception of the Distributor itself....kind of at a loss until I can check the evap system. I will check on that rear o2 sensor suggestion as well. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 AM   #5
CarolinaBirdDog

15.9 fuel tank capacity / 190 miles traveled = 11.94 MPG = scratching head!!!!

Tune up
Wires
Spark plugs-NGK
Air Filter
Cleaned Distributor Cap, wasn't in bad condition
Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner
Added 1 qt of Lucas to last oil change
Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,269 Times in 1,118 Posts

You don't have Monster Swamper Mudder Tires from Hell on there, do you?

Are you towing an A10 Warthog?

Just trying to get the obvious things out of the way before spending too much time on this. I don't know squat about that Evap canister, why it is there, and why some trucks have it and others don't. I know it is expensive to replace, though! One guy replaced his and the code went away, but I don't know if it was because that Evap canister was bad or because he wiggled something around when he installed the new one.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
CarolinaBirdDog

Ha! 235 Cougaria Federal M/T's....not big just mudders....I hear ya on the canister, but it was replaced by previous owner,$$$$$! I promise ya this, if I had an A10, I wouldn't be towing it, lol! BRRRRRTTTTT!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
hardbodyhero
SONIC BOOM)))))))))))))))

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Hardbody King Cab Auto

Yes, BRRRRRTTTTT, indeed.
CarolinaBirdDog (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21, 1987 Mercedes 190D Turbo, 2010 Mercedes E350 AWD, 2017 Honda CBR500R

How long have you had the truck?

When I was rebuilding the top end of my motor, I found a shotgun bore brush stuffed into a vacuum line and a ton of other shenanigans. There's no telling what sort of stuff a PO might have done to it.

Are your front hubs engaged? If the engine's having to drag that front differential and whatnot around it'll cause you grief. Also make sure you've not got any brakes sticking.

Also if you spend a lot of time with the accelerator down you'll get crappy mileage, lol. I can pretty easily bounce between 26 and 32mpg in my Yaris by how hard I feel like working the supercharger.

EDIT: Also, your avatar is hilarious

OldGreyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
CarolinaBirdDog

I have had it now for about 3 years, I parked it in my back yard for the first two of those years. While it was parked I had no CEL or probs, used it to move my 14.5' Big Tex around the yard for mowing purposes. I put it on the road in Aug 14. I had to have it inspected, but as it always goes, CEL came on before I could get it inspected. It through 0440 and 0442 at inspection station. Had them replace CAT(don't know if it is 2 or 1 O2 sensors on CAT). A day later it passed, and then a week later CEL came on. Recently just started calculating MPG, BOOM, mind blown!!!! HAd it checked again and now i just get the one code, 0440. The brakes doesnt seem to be dragging but they definitely need to be checked, I'll buy the beers! Come on! (not a mech) LOL. Not too bad on the gas pedal, my wife says I drive slow, but thats cause we ride together in her 08 Ram (5.7), for obvious reasons.

YOUR YARIS HAS A SUPERCHARGER???? your a bad mother*&^%$#!!!!!!!LMAO