Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 AM   #21841
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Received the Terrano today. Initial examination shows excellent accuracy in the interior, including both left and right hand drive dashes. Proportions appear correct, but in order to build as a US-spec Terrano/Pathfinder, I'll have to shave the fender mounted turn signals.
If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures of the kit as well as the build-up.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
alabama_lowlife (07-01-2020), Hardbody92 (07-20-2020), YEPEE (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #21842
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

I decided on THIS SHIFTER from Amazon. Sort of matches the color of the truck. No worries. Will keep the stock shifter in the parts box.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #21843
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

I got a 4x4 shifter knob from the boneyard and use it for the transmission. The dimensions are the same for both knobs and the 4x4 knob had zero wear. The lady gave it to me for free.

I'm hoping that if someone ever tries to steal my truck, it'll confuse them and they'll just give up. LOL

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #21844
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody XE King Cab 5-spd.

I've been working on my '97 HB over the past few months and have replaced the worn out stock anti-sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension's red polyurethane kit(4 pieces), removed the leaky power steering gear unit and sent it to Rock Auto, whom sent it to LARES in MN for a full rebuild(came back in very nice condition and reinstalled it). I suspected an intake or exhaust leak or maybe both since failing the STAR smog test in CA. So I found and removed the 2 broken exhaust gaskets from the mid pipe to the bottom of the exhaust manifold and installed 2 new Fel Pro units and torqued the 14mm nuts to spec, torqued the exhaust manifold to specs, replaced the upstream exhaust manifold Bosch 02 sensor. Since it was showing a steady 3.5V at any rpm. Instead of the 0.45V output with another Bosch unit, removed all the engine management components on the right side of the engine(a royal pain with all that stuff in there!) to get to the intake manifold gasket to check for any leaks(all was good), put it all back together and under inspection. I have now discovered the lower steering joint(rag joint/steering coupler) has a tear from the outside diameter of the coupler to one of the bolt holes. So this now needs to be replaced. But I cannot seem to find them anywhere. The Nissan P/N is 48080-07G0A. Does anyone know where to find this part? If in stock, the dealer wants $245.00. But I'm not paying that price. Shouldn't there be a aftermarket company that makes these? I sent Energy Suspension an e-mail asking them if they make them. But their response was "We'll send it to the factory for consideration. But it's helpful if more people need/want this part too". Dorman shows nothing as well.

So can anyone point me in the right direction? It's literally the only part that's keeping me from driving my truck. The steering column doesn't look so attractive detached from the steering gear unit and sitting on top of the wheel well...

Thanks for any help!
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #21845
VOTS95

Vehicle: 95 XE V6 4x4 5 Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
So can anyone point me in the right direction? It's literally the only part that's keeping me from driving my truck. The steering column doesn't look so attractive detached from the steering gear unit and sitting on top of the wheel well...

Thanks for any help!
My google search says that part is NLA. Id head to the junkyard, EBay, Craigslist for someone parting one out.

VOTS
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 PM   #21846
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody XE King Cab 5-spd.

Much obliged, Good Sir!
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #21847
96noOptions

Vehicle: 1996 D21 Base

Changed my transmission oil today. Both fill & drain plugs came out easily. Old fluid was far from clean but I've seen worse. A fair bit of metal on the magnet, all of it very fine. Filled with Royal Purple 75w140 GL-5 that explicitly claims compatibility with soft/yellow metals. I jacked up the front of the rig to maximize the drain and still couldn't quite get two full quarts in there. The factory spec of 4-1/8 pint (2 liter) capacity is for a new dry transmission. You don't need to buy a third quart for this job.

Changed the rear differential oil too. Both plugs came out easy. Again not the filthiest oil I've ever seen and what metal was on the magnet was all very fine. Filled with Mobil1 75w90 GL-5.

Changed the manual steering gearbox oil. Used a pump to drain it as best I could and filled with more Mobil1 75w90 GL-5. This oil was pretty clean and I can't feel any difference in the steering. Probably a waste of time but whatever - now I know it's good.

Found a wiring harness mounting bracket that was loose. Should have been attached to the exhaust manifold but was just hanging. The manifold cover bolts were rusted badly and twisted off. Yay. I made a guess with a self-tapping sheet metal screw and was fortunate enough to hit an empty space. The bracket is now attached to the manifold cover with that screw.

And last but not least I hit the bases of my wiper arms with some flat black spray paint. The old paint had worn away and the polished metal underneath would sometimes reflect the sun right into your face if the angle was right. Annoying. No longer. Couple of quick squirts of flat black and done.

Still loving my coil-over rear shocks and overkill tires.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #21848
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I wouldn't trust anything GL5 no matter what it says on the box.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
jp2code (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #21849
96noOptions

Vehicle: 1996 D21 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I wouldn't trust anything GL5 no matter what it says on the box.
I get what you're saying. I went with this stuff:
https://royalpurpledirect.com/max-ge...etic-gear-oil/

I am not afraid.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #21850
EF2

Vehicle: 94 king cab

went on a wild goose chase today lol. went to see if i could get a front end alignment and everywhere was super busy, not too surprised, and went to a local shop who finished up my wagon about 9 years ago and got a quote on re doing my exhaust. exactly what i expected, said it would be about a grand, but his work is top notch so i’m probably going to do it. in fact i’m probably gonna buy a header and do a whole setup, but super tucked.
EF2 is offline   Reply With Quote