Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-06-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Hardbody253

Vehicle: Nissan d21 SE v6 4wd 1986
Exclamation Interior color change now weird issues including limp mode

I have an 86 d21 se 4wd v6 manual and It came with that hideous red/ brown interior. I swapped out some of the interior plastics for grey parts, and others I painted. I swapped the seats and painted the headliner.

I get everything put back together and she fires right up but then gets a mean fuel cut in every gear. Im not sure what rpm it cuts at bc my tach doesn't work. It seems to be at 2500 or higher id guess. I checked the ecu for codes and get 33 which is ECU.
When swapping the carpet and seats I only unbolted the ecu, I never unplugged any of the harnesses'. Of course the ground wire was unbolted so I could move the ecu a bit to replace the carpet.

Another weird issue I noticed is that now some of my electronics only work when the headlights are turned on. The stereo, dome light, dash clock, and sometimes the wipers will only work with the headlights on. I didn't change any wiring e except for removed this antenna wire that ran to the back center of the roof under the headliner.

So far I've replaced the fuel filter, distributor, plugs &wires, coolant temp sensor, cleaned the maf, reset the ecu. The truck feels more powerful now, but still is in limp mode. I've searched for any broken, shorted, or corroded wires and so far no luck. Since changing the distributor, the truck fires up instantly but doesn't want to stay running without pumping the throttle. Any ideas why it went into limp mode? It was fine before I decided to change the interior over.
Hardbody253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
89'HBV6
Ol'school Geek

Vehicle: 89' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD - 87' D21 KC SE V6 5spd 2WD

Welcome to IN...

Under the passanger seat, read the ECU codes. It will point you in the right direction.

I believe 86' was a "special year" for the codes. I'll let somone more knowledgeable speak to this.

You may want to DL the FSM... link below v v v
What he is saying is the aerodynamics of a D21 is a brick in the wind.
Probably at least as bad as a Jeep so worse than a cow.
89'HBV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: '86.5 Nissan HB KC 4x4 5.3V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89'HBV6 View Post
Welcome to IN...

Under the passanger seat, read the ECU codes. It will point you in the right direction.

I believe 86' was a "special year" for the codes. I'll let somone more knowledgeable speak to this.

You may want to DL the FSM... link below v v v
Here is the link: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31527
Scroll down to where it says "Updated 2016 May 06: Contribution from Reserector in another thread"

Give each wire at the ECU connectors a light tug, individually. If they are corroded away inside the insulation, like some of mine were, they will give way easily. A few of mine turned to green powder. Hopefully yours are fine. It can be hard to find pins to repair them with.

Other things that will throw it into limp mode are bad connections at the MAF sensor, TPS and any other throttle body related connectors. 33 looks like an exhaust sensor, so maybe check that connector.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote