Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > 4x4 and Offroading

Old 03-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #11
fatleon

Vehicle: 87 hardbody

I only had a problem with my auto hubs once. I had opposite corners up on high spots, so the suspension was fully twisted. And I was rocking back and forth trying to get enough traction to get free. That rocking caused one hub to buzz, like grinding gears. It seemed to work fine after that, once I gave it a chance to lock up more gently, they lock when the axle turns and the wheel doesn't. So there's a little lag as they have to take up that slack. So it's possible they'll skip instead of locking if you give them a quick bump like I was doing.
I did get a set of manual hubs soon after that tho, so I don't know how much I messed em up.

I've read they can get jammed up when the grease in them dries up. They work fine for mild stuff, getting through a little snow or something, but if you can upgrade I'd say do it.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:31 AM   #12
PoodlePuncher

Vehicle: 95 XE

Hijacking this thread, because i can't find the answer, and it's technically on topic...

Disassembled my auto hubs to clean/inspect them,

I know not to goop everything up... but he large clutch... bearing... clutched bearing?

does it need to be packed like a regular bearing?

I can't find info anywhere. the service manuals on Nicoclub don't mention the auto hub internals at all.