Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner
Default My 93 hardbody project

Wanted another pickup since I traded my 87 hardbody in for a 2001 Dodge Dakota, had the opportunity to pickup a 94 pathfinder that needed an engine, think my buddy is a member on here, he has 2 low rider hardbody's.

Had my mech buddy put a JDM VG30E in the pathfinder and started fixing it and making it better, got tired of the crappy MPG so I recently sold it.

Spent about 2 months looking for a 95-97 hardbody, king cab, 2wd, 5 speed 4 cylinder, all the trucks I found were either automatics or the owners were asking ridiculous money.

A guy on a hardbody group on FB told me about a 93 he had, he said it had water in the oil and wasn't running, I ended up buying it for $1000 and he threw a few extra parts in.

Truck as I said is a 93 hardbody, 2wd, 5 speed with the KA24E engine, mileage is unknown as he told me the speedo cable broke, odometer shows 222K

Truck is supposed to be AH3 paint code but someone painted it and it needs paint again, red interior, (not my favorite color but junkyards have plenty of parts I can swap in)

A few pics:

needs some work but it's been a while since I've had a project

front:

Roof:

Interior:

dash, needs all new vents:

has a dash cover but no cracks in the dash, just faded:

Guy gave me a Nissan bedliner (no pics of bedliner yet):

Dr. side view with silver 18" titan wheels ( now powder coated black):

The wheels now (245/45/18's on them):

Powder coated valve cover he gave me, think it's for a 240 going on the location of the hose outlet, shouldn't be a problem:

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 07-10-2016 at 04:31 PM.
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

So far, stripped some of the stuff off the front of the engine, fan, shroud, radiator, belts, bumper, grille one headlight that came apart, pulled the valve cover and found this:

Rust on the rockers ( and everywhere else, wipes right off)

timing chain guide on Dr. side is missing, hard to see in this pic:

Drained the water/oil mix, put a quart of engine flush in and 3 quarts of cheap oil and a cheap filter, we got it running had to put some gas in the TB, starts right up now. Ran it 5 minutes per the flush instructions and drained the oil/water, removed the oil filter and added oil and another cheap filter, runs pretty good just noisy. Taking it to my mech buddy in a few weeks

Replaced most of the cracked vacuum hoses, also fixed the blower only working on 4, swapped out the blower resistor with one I had for the pathfinder, found this while doing that:

Removed the gauge cluster and found the end of the speedometer cable is broken, have to try to fix it using the method I read about on here, polished the clear plastic while the cluster was removed.

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 07-10-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

De-greased under the engine and the suspension, that's it for now.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Hey bro welcome in. A 95 dash would look great on your hb. I did this swap in my 92 hb. From what I've read on here you'r 93 wiring is ready for this swap. Unlike my 92 which I had to cut and modify to work with the new style gauge cluster.
Hardbody92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #5
KR720
Road Hazard

Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 720 King Cab 2wd 5spd

Looks like a fun project! What are you overall plans for this truck?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Fix it up, make it my DD.
Won't be lowering it. installing my stereo I took out of my sentra, sub box with 2 -12's, PPI Art series amp for the subs, Orion amp for the front door speakers, kicker crossover. Throw my 2 autometer gauges in under the radio (water temp and oil pressure), wanted to add the PF variable wipers but doesn't look like the wiper amplifier plug is under the hood, think only the VG30's had that option. Paint in the future, 4x4 fenders,
Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Would be nice if the gauge cluster wiring was "ready" for the round style swap, I was looking into it and noticed the KA engine trucks use a different plug for the cluster harness than the VG trucks do.

Was thinking it wouldn't make sense for Nissan to create a whole new body harness ( the part that includes the SMJ (Super Multiple Junction) when they went to the round cluster, would be easier and less costly to leave the SMJ plug alone and just make a new cluster harness ( from the SMJ to the gauge cluster)

Plus from what I read some late production 93's had the round cluster which makes it more feasible that all they did was change the cluster harness.

Need to get to the junkyards when I am able to walk without my crutches ( messed up my knee at work a month ago), so I can check my theory.

I did something similar on my 90 sentra I had, everyone was swapping in the gauge cluster with the tach out of the SE coupes, they were cutting the plugs and sl=plicing all the wires together, it was a long process, I discovered Nissan had 2 different cluster harnesses, one for the tach one without the tach, I pulled a tach cluster from the JY and the cluster harness, removed my cluster and harness and plugged the new tach harness right in, took 10 minutes all together no cutting and worked perfectly !!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #8
KR720
Road Hazard

Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 720 King Cab 2wd 5spd

Yeah having a lowered truck for a DD can be rough for sure. extended cabs are a ton of fun for sound systems! That's something I'd like to add as well- the cell phone isn't the most appealing sound system lol. Overhauling that motor looks to be quite the project too. I'm curious to see what the bottom end looks like.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

pulled the drivers seat out to remove the side panel, was looking for the wire for the door switch, found it, and plugged it in, dome light now comes on with the door open and the key in and lights on chime works.

Pulled the pass side seat to check that side for the switch wire, no wire found. Checked the codes while I had the seat out, weird the LED's to read the codes are on the side facing the middle of the truck, unlike the WD21 pathfinders where you can check the codes from the rear.

Only code was "41", also noticed the carpet was wet so I removed the rear section of carpet and wiped down the floor, got to see what the original color is supposed to look like, two pics below:

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 07-10-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

damn, that is one damn clean floor pan.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote