Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #21
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
Luckily most of you are too young to have worked on a Chevette. Changing the starter on one is a PITA on the stock 4 banger. The big block one I built was much easier...
Probably a lot more reliable too. I am among those way too young to have worked on one but have heard from the old folks what pieces of junk they were. I've only seen one in the flesh once or twice.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:31 AM   #22
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Ford focus...everything is just crammed in there. To change the thermostat you have to remove the power steering pump and​ one of the bolts is right behind the line. Damn near impossible to get it out.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

struts on the lexus werent too bad. popped the front upper ball joint loose, tied the spindle out of the way then turned the wheel and the fronts came right out.

the rears were much more cooperative with the sawzall LOL

the right rear was blown. not a single drop of oil came out of the tube when i cut it in half. no wonder it was waddling like a duck at 70 while making lane changes.

gotta change the front bushings on it now......that ought to be fun. i had to replace the rear trailing arm bushings last summer. that was about as fun as the leaf bushings on the hardbody.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #24
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Yeah the ones on my Camry don't look too bad. I know I will have to do them eventually but right now there's no indication that they're bad or about to go bad. At least Toyotas are simplistic to the point where they have become the standard by which we measure how conventional and mundane other cars are lol. I think it took me 45 minutes to do all 4 shocks in the truck.

Another one...Saabs. Any of them. The front of the engine faces the firewall in a 900 classic. The clutch is a snap because of that but if you want to replace the timing chain or head gasket it's multitudes faster to pull the engine.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #25
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

when i changed the shocks on the front of my truck, the stupid threaded stud kept turning. they had been on there so long the nuts were seized to the mounting stud.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #26
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Got another one... Saab 9-5. The last generation of saabs made after gm bought them out and before they went under. Real bastard child of a vehicle. Built in Sweden using shitty gm parts and an electrical system that requires a PhD in electrical engineering to diagnose problems. Parts are expensive and you never know if they're actually going to fit or not.

People always bitch about the classic 900s being bad (see above post) since the engine is in there backwards but most other things on those are actually dead simple. The motor can be pulled in under 2 hours for more serious engine work.

Last edited by SBJ; 06-22-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
Boozehero
Boozebag

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan D21, 1987 D21 powered by 2.3 Ford Turbo, too many more

Welllll,

How about a 1970s Saab 99 with the Triumph 2.0 litre? Water pump shaft was pressed into the block with a bearing at the end of the shaft. If you didn't have the special Saab tool... you were skrewed.

Sunbeam Alpine clutch - the whole wad had to come out. Engine and tranny.

Now into this century - Nissan Maxima V6 timing chain (!!!!) What a total NIGHTMARE. Everything has to be removed. Like the whole damn front of the POS and pretty much the whole exterior of the engine has to come apart.

Air cooled VWs were way easy. 45 minutes with 2 guys, engine on the ground. We could do it more quickly if there was little concern to details - like heater cables and heater hoses.
Boozehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #28
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan HB 2WD

After three days of struggling, I finally gave up and sent the wife's 1991 Honda Civic to the shop. It was some kind of relay, either starter relay or fuel pump maybe. It was crammed way up high under the dashboard on the driver's side near the door. About as close to the windshield as you can get. WAY up there. Shop quoted me $150 to replace and I had the part. When I got it back fixed, the mechanic said he had to take out the entire dashboard and the instrument panel to reach it. Shop said they lost money on the deal because of the five/six hours labor, but they were nice about it and didn't raise the price.

Worst one I've fixed personally was trying to do some repairs on my dad's old 1981 Citation. Holy cow, that thing had more wires, hoses, and crap around that engine than I had ever seen. I told him to sell it. Kept breaking down anyway. He kept buying that 70's-80's Chevy junk for years. Even bought a 71 Vega wagon new. I couldn't fix that either. But I didn't have to. The thing was junk before it reached 10K miles. Now he has a nice Camry.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #29
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
After three days of struggling, I finally gave up and sent the wife's 1991 Honda Civic to the shop. It was some kind of relay, either starter relay or fuel pump maybe. It was crammed way up high under the dashboard on the driver's side near the door. About as close to the windshield as you can get. WAY up there. Shop quoted me $150 to replace and I had the part. When I got it back fixed, the mechanic said he had to take out the entire dashboard and the instrument panel to reach it. Shop said they lost money on the deal because of the five/six hours labor, but they were nice about it and didn't raise the price.
The main relay for the fuel pump is a common problem with Hondas of that vintage. I used to own a similar vintage Accord and it would sometimes fail to start. I learned to listen for the fuel pump and keep a spare in the car at all times lol. It was a great car but I gotta say my Toyotas are simpler and more intuitive to work on.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #30
Boozehero
Boozebag

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan D21, 1987 D21 powered by 2.3 Ford Turbo, too many more

^^^YOU GOT ROBBED!!!!
That shop saw you coming.
I hang out at a ricer Honda shop. They do turbo installs and lots of other Honda related work.
That relay is the "Main Relay" for most of the systems in the car. Ebay has them for $20 or so, and you DEFINITELY don't have to pull the dash out on ANY Honda to replace it. WTF
I have replaced many. Common problem.
If the fuel pump doesn't fire, it is usually the main relay.
If you really can't get up under the dash, pull the driver seat out (4 bolts) and lie in the driver area looking up. You can see it.
You know what it looks like...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...98307518209021
Boozehero is offline   Reply With Quote