Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 10-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
MidnightSun

Vehicle: 91 D21
Default My "teardrop"

Had some interest in my trailer, so here's the info.

Started off as a pop-up that I tore down to the frame and ordered a Timbren axleless setup. It's about 6.5'x11'. Used mostly 2x2s for framing with either 1/2" or 1/4" plywood, depending on location. The top roofline I ended up going with fiberglass to make the compound curves a little easier. Although it probably took as much time as it would be soaking plywood and shaping it.

I would say it's done (able to move in), but not finished. I haven't done any trim work and there's spots that I already know I want to make minor changes. I used slotted panel boards? for the majority of the interior with oak in spots. Just linseed oil, no stain for finish. The parts of the interior that just plywood is gonna act as canvases during my travels.

Not sure if I'm missing anything, let me know if you want to know more. Otherwise I'll just update it as I go.

Now here's pictures for y'all to look at. https://imgur.com/a/E7idNcN
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
amdilligaf1 (10-22-2020), SBJ (10-24-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #2
amdilligaf1
i usually don't talk much

Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC 2WD KA24 5MT HF35 KH3 K

that's very nice work, MS. i appreciate you imguring it for us. yes, more details,please...whenever you have time.

it looks mighty spacious inside, and good storage, too. the slotted panel boards are a smart idea.

i am digging the hot water setup , and the solar panels, and the rest of it.

i have a big buddy heater i use in my shop/office/barn when it gets really cold.

i love it.

i have a valve i use to fill up my extra 1 lb. tanks from a 20 pounder.
( you have to turn the 20 lb. upside down to do this, since the propane is in a liquid state.)

i also have a 12' gas line and tank fitting, purchased from tractor supply co. that i use to run it from a 20lb. tank.

i ( and the little buddy company) recommend buying a $12 little buddy inline fuel filter to use the 20s, screws in where the tank goes on.

i didn't at first and it will eventually clog everything up after a while, well worth the money.

also buy yourself a 9 volt powered carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector, so you can safely leave the little buddy on at night.

Last edited by amdilligaf1; 10-22-2020 at 05:59 AM.
amdilligaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
SVTCTR

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pickup KA24DE

I wish I had skills like you. That's awesome. I've always wanted to take a pop-up camper and put it on a long trailers to hold a car or ATVs
2019 Ford F-250

SVTCTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
MidnightSun

Thanks, I appreciate it! I of course see all the flaws, but overall I'm happy how it came out. Especially since it's the first involved project I've done in a decade+.

It does have a fair amount of space inside. The bed area is 4'+x7', the highest point in the ceiling is 5'. cant really see it, but under the bottom self at the foot I have a fold down wall that I'll be building some sort of small pocket behind.

I biggest thing I'll have to change is my water tank. I had put together a, roughly, 11 gal tank out of 6" pipe. I of course did not test it before getting it in there. At first the outlet fittings were leaking a bit, got those stopped. Then there were a couple spots at the couplers that had pinhole leaks. With the little space that I have, I couldn't really get in there with silicone to seal it up. At this point I'm just gonna get a couple 5 gal jugs to fill and switch as needed. With the space were the tank is, I'll frame out a shalf on the interior over the door side wheel well and get some more shelves back in the galley. Can never have enough kitchen space! Other than that it's more just finishing touches, adding doors, etc.

@amd - do you just refill the normal 1lb tanks? From what I was seeing I would need to get "refillable" tanks. Wasn't sure what would really be different.

I will probably look at getting the 20lb tank hooked up in the future. I won't want to be messing with the small tanks for too long. I could spend my winters in Az though, haha. I thought the buddy was supposed to be safe indoors? It wouldn't be anything to add a detector though if need be.

@SVTCTR - the camper I had got was a pain to get off. All the screws were underneath the laminate. I ended up just just prying and pounding it off, a lot of the screws just pulled through the floor.

The top and pop-up posts came out nice. You could save the top and build a new bottom space if you can't get it up clean. Eventually I'd like to get a long bus so I can have a garage space at the back door to haul a motorcycle.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:52 AM   #5
amdilligaf1
i usually don't talk much

Vehicle: 1997 D21 RC 2WD KA24 5MT HF35 KH3 K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
@amd - do you just refill the normal 1lb tanks? From what I was seeing I would need to get "refillable" tanks. Wasn't sure what would really be different.

I will probably look at getting the 20lb tank hooked up in the future. I won't want to be messing with the small tanks for too long. I could spend my winters in Az though, haha. I thought the buddy was supposed to be safe indoors? It wouldn't be anything to add a detector though if need be.
i just refill the normal 1 lb tanks. as far as i know, there is only one kind of green tank, they are meant to be disposable.

using the refill fitting makes it easy and so much cheaper than buying a bunch of them. i forgot to mention that you put the little green ones in the freezer for a while ( or outside if you are in alaska!!) before you fill them, that helps the propane flow in for some reason.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...y?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005
ebay probably has all this stuff,too.

i had a friend give me a box of 1 pounders he was throwing away.
with the 20 pounder turned upside down, resting on the valve guard, it fills right up (takes a few minutes). i keep a couple filled in case i want to use the little buddy without dragging a 20 lb around.

your heater is supposed to run 5.4 hours on a 1 lb tank, so you could get 100 hours out of a 20 lb!! i am sure prices are different, but in my town, the local propane supplier has been refilling 20 lb tanks for $10 the last 3 years, $50 for a 100#, i keep 4 in rotation, empty 2, fill 2...

and every few years, if one looks bad or rusty, i trade it in at a retail propane tank exchange, like blue rhino for a new one with a new valve. pick one you like out of the cage.

it is safe to run the heater in an enclosed space, and it is supposed to shut off when oxygen is low, but in a 4x7 space, better safe than sorry.

a CO detector is 20 bucks or so. you wouldn't wake up if you had high CO levels, you would just stay asleep and never wake up. and a smoke detector gives you a little notice if your inverter or anything fries while you are asleep.

you can't enjoy your truck and teardrop if you aren't here, and that would make us sad.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #6
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I dig it. You can buy smaller refillable propane tanks too. In a perfect world they are supposed to be filled by weight and only to ~80% of the tank's total volume to allow room for the propane to evaporate and expand. My folks have one they use with their camper for things where it wouldn't be practical to haul around a 5 gallon tank. BTW, those buddy heaters have a safety interlock on them, down low where the cylinder screws on. It's magnetic and I am guessing there is a valve in there that doesn't allow propane to flow through if there isn't a cylinder attached. You can get around it by simply putting something magnetic in front of it to get the valve to release. Then you can use an adapter hose and hook it to a regular propane tank (not that you should, but you can). It should also have an interlock that shuts it off if it gets tipped over. Don't mess with that one.

Definitely install a CO/flammable gas detector, like amdilligaf1 mentioned above. It might just save your life one day. BTW, the ones in a lot of campers also detect methane. Our dog used to set it off pretty regularly .
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
MidnightSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Definitely install a CO/flammable gas detector, like amdilligaf1 mentioned above. It might just save your life one day. BTW, the ones in a lot of campers also detect methane. Our dog used to set it off pretty regularly .
Hahaha. Depending on what I eat that day, I'm sure I could set it off too. At least it would add to the heat! I spose extra safety wouldn't be a bad thing, even if a heater is rated indoor safe.

As far as refilling, I guess it's hard for me to see a difference between say a FlameKing refillable tank vs a Coleman disposable. They mention something about a special valve, but I don't know. Kinda seems like some marketing technique to me.