Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Commerce > Im Looking For . . .

Old 03-10-2022, 10:00 PM   #1
No.7

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Default ISO ecu

I'm looking for an ecu for a 95 d21 2wd 4cylinder manual. It has MCEM-E110 on the sticker. Just trying to see if anyone has one for sale on here since they're $140+ on ebay.
No.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #2
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,573 Posts

There have been a few members here lately that repaired their ECU.

If you know that yours is bad, you can try taking it apart to see if you can fix it - or take it to an electronics store in your area.

Usually it is something obvious when you are looking at the ECU board.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:33 AM   #3
No.7

Thanks for the reply. I did take it out and I wasn't lucky enough to find obvious problems with the board or melted components. It's just frustrating when "pull your own part" salvage yards have them for $20 but ebay is $140+. The only "pull your own part" salvage yard I got ahold of yet told me $75 to even look at the vehicle in the yard and $50 to take it off, this doesn't include shipping or price of the part.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

if you get a MCEM-E110 on eBay, make certain that it comes with a return warranty. Even 30 days is good. All you need to do is pop it in place of the other one. If it works, great! If not, return it immediately. The reason they can charge so much is that warranty, so use it.

Then, take your old ECU and list it on here for $20 someone to try and repair. You can even ship it in the box you get your replacement ECU in.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:13 PM   #5
KivPanther
Furball

Vehicle: 1994 XE King Cab V6

Dunno if the OP still needs this, but even if nothing LOOKS fried, you can still have a bad component. A multimeter can easily test all the resistors and capacitors for proper function. I found a bad cap on my own ECU by this method. Outwardly it looked perfectly normal but when I tested it with my multimeter it wouldn’t build a charge.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #6
No.7

I still have it. The truck will run normally but if you rev it up to about 1700 rpm it acts like you floored it. A mechanic tracked the problem back to one of the pins on the ecu is giving the wrong voltage but it's been a while so I don't remember exactly which pin. I had a chance to borrow an ecu and the problem goes away with a good ecu. Does this sound like a problem a bad cap can cause or should I look for a different problem? If it is a cap, how do I test it?
Old 05-29-2022, 02:27 AM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.7 View Post
I still have it. The truck will run normally but if you rev it up to about 1700 rpm it acts like you floored it. A mechanic tracked the problem back to one of the pins on the ecu is giving the wrong voltage but it's been a while so I don't remember exactly which pin. I had a chance to borrow an ecu and the problem goes away with a good ecu. Does this sound like a problem a bad cap can cause or should I look for a different problem? If it is a cap, how do I test it?
It sounds like a problem with the ECU.

The only way to find out what is wrong with the ECU is to open it and trace the circuits. It's a long process, but not impossible.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:28 AM   #8
KivPanther
Furball

Vehicle: 1994 XE King Cab V6

Any number of problems could cause that. Testing resistors is easy: They should read the resistance they're labeled for, give or take about 5%-10%. Usually when a resistor goes bad, it either reads dead short (0 ohms) or open circuit (infinity ohms).

As far as capacitors go, the easiest way to test a capacitor with just a multimeter is to set it for resistance (measuring ohms). Make sure the red lead is on the positive side and the black (common) lead is on the negative side of the cap. You should start out reading infinity ohms, but if the capacitor is functioning you will see it suddenly drop to near zero and start rising steadily. If it doesn't do this after a five-count, it's a dead cap.

Other things to look for are broken circuit traces (a deep gouge is usually the cause), burnt ICs (they'll look bubbly or be obviously scorched and disfigured in one spot), and cold solder joints (which look like a frosty or matte grey color instead of the normal shiny or dull silver color).

I will say this, if you can figure out which pin was causing you the problem, that'll give you a huge head start in tracking the problem down.

Last edited by KivPanther; 05-30-2022 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Added final thought.
KivPanther is offline   Reply With Quote