Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-05-2022, 06:02 AM   #11
Midnight Tech
Technical Admin

Location: Back in SC again...in the back of a REAL parts store...
Vehicle: 1986.5 D21 Hardbody 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
I would check fuel pressure before pulling the bed. If it's high enough (I want to say something like 35PSI but check the FSM) let 'er rip!
Seeing conflicting numbers when looking at applications from work - 35 to 94 psi. Will check FSM tomorrow if no one finds anything.

Out of Round Tuits....
Midnight Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:46 AM   #12
fuamann

Vehicle: 1988 D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Tech View Post
Seeing conflicting numbers when looking at applications from work - 35 to 94 psi. Will check FSM tomorrow if no one finds anything.
I was thinking the same, I've read that it likes about 45 but I know some pumps push 95 like you said.

Lucked out and found a TBI complete at a yard in San Bernardino off a VG so I am capping the extra vac line at the base and going to test her out! Got a complete spare TBI from ebay that I will be returning if this other one is good. I was a little worried to see corrosion in the water inlets and outlets of the throttle body but I'm just crossing my fingers shell start
fuamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:56 AM   #13
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 SE-V6 4WD D21, 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro
Thanked 1,080 Times in 976 Posts

95PSI sounds way too high. Even something like my Audi only does 65ish PSI from the lift pump.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:03 AM   #14
fuamann

Update:

I got the throttle body on, got it back on the ground (don't try to press out ball joints without taking the c clips out��) and got it fired! For a second haha after dumping the old external and picking up a 65psi unit and I'm still having issues to run. Will start but falls on it's face immediately. Could this be a timing issue?

Thanks for all the information guys!

Edit:
After doing a little more digging it looks like that the psi range for a drop in replacement is between 45-90psi and 45gph

Last edited by fuamann; 05-08-2022 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Found more info
Old 05-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #15
fuamann

I admitted defeat and went and got a fuel pump from a yard, got it installed swith a new fuel filter before the throttle body. Now I have confirmed fuel to the throttle body it'll start right up no issues whatsoever, but then immediately dies. I can start it and rev it to keep it going but ultimately dies. I've checked for vac leaks and can't find or hear any. Fuel is good as previously mentioned. I'm at a loss
Old 05-14-2022, 01:45 AM   #16
fuamann

Got it running!!
Totally messed up the vac lines and now she's going! Idling super damn high though, around 3k or something since I don't have a tach. So I'm going to retard timing tomorrow to see if that helps.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:02 AM   #17
fuamann

Learning a lot about these damn Z24s man, my jet engine take off was not due to timing or vacuum leaks. What it actually was the throttle body adjustment screws for the actuator that the throttle cable connects to. Turns out that there is two idle screws? One in the normal spot then another that is vertically placed on lever arm. I backed that screw out like 5 turns then backed out the normal idle screw back till the engine was humming around 1k.

I'm so happy with how everything has turned out, I'm shooting some black smoke out the tail pipe when I apply gas so I'm guessing that I need new plugs or my injectors are gone or my MAF is bad or my O2 sensor is bad or all of them! Who knows but I'm going to start going one by one and start a tune up. Craziest thing was when I was checking my distributor it only had the top bolt in! The bottom was completely gone so I found another M6 1.25 bolt, lock washer and washer and slapped it in there. I need to adjust timing now so I'll be getting a light this weekend and get that taken care of as well as adjust the valves and new valve cover gaskets and half moons. Wish me luck
Thanked by:
89'HBV6 (05-18-2022)